Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 08:49 AM

4,720 posts, read 15,556,203 times

Advertisements

Thanks,and true,,,the "heads on right" is the challange in the land of Porsche
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 09:56 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,115,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FB1977 View Post
Yeah, I think more of the REALLY wealthy people live in Barrington Hills or South Barrington. The town of Barrington itself has a cute little downtown area, and is not so over the top wealthy, as the other two I mentioned.
Magnolia Pointe lies in Barrington, and those houses are over 10 million. Sure most areas of Barrington are "new money", but there are several areas with HUGE bucks.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Magnolia Pointe lies in Barrington, and those houses are over 10 million. Sure most areas of Barrington are "new money", but there are several areas with HUGE bucks.
Steve,Magnolia Point is South Barrington.I really know of no house in the areas here for 10 mill or over.SB is a whole different ball game.All new sub divisions,no town ,and houses that exceed the limit of tact and taste.One must be larger,gaudier then the next.My kids have gone to school with kids who live in these huge house-hotels with 4 people and vast empty rooms.It has a very large Indian population and many many doctors, and its rare to ever see a child playing outdoors.This is the ultimate keeping up with the Jones area and its going thru the roof.Notice when you drive thru,all the cement,drives,8 car garages,pools,fountains and- no trees!

Old 08-30-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Steve,Magnolia Point is South Barrington.I really know of no house in the areas here for 10 mill or over.SB is a whole different ball game.All new sub divisions,no town ,and houses that exceed the limit of tact and taste.One must be larger,gaudier then the next.My kids have gone to school with kids who live in these huge house-hotels with 4 people and vast empty rooms.It has a very large Indian population and many many doctors, and its rare to ever see a child playing outdoors.This is the ultimate keeping up with the Jones area and its going thru the roof.Notice when you drive thru,all the cement,drives,8 car garages,pools,fountains and- no trees!
My bad, I thought it was Barrington. I saw one home from that neighborhood listed as "Barrington" awhile back.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:05 PM

6 posts, read 22,977 times
Default Barrington "Areas"

Hi,

There are areas in and around Barrington that are the "norm" such as Port Barrington, Lake Barrington, Barrington Shores, Parts of Lake Zurich, Wauconda, Fox River Grove, Cary, Palatine (all next door to Barrington).

Don't let the Barrington name fool you. There are ultra rich areas in every town and every county. And then the middle class, realistic areas too. And don't forget every town has it's slums too. Barrington is not excluded from that either. The 60010 zip code goes to areas I wouldn't walk the streets at night as well as the $400/per square foot housing market.

Somehow Barrington has gotten this reputation of having filthy rich people and over the top lifestyles. Hello....they don't even have a bookstore there.

People from Winnetka, Glenco, and so many other burbs, have people from Barrington for a midday snack!!!

Maybe it's the evangelistic Willow Creek Church that intimidates alot of people. That's a campus not a church, and has very little or nothing to do with God! Just like having discretionary funds has little or nothing to do with class, or even the smarts it takes to hold onto money.

Does anyone know where Barrington got this reputation? I lived in Palatine almost my whole life and have never been able to figure it out...

Old 09-06-2007, 03:43 PM

Ummmbecause 'filthy rich' people live there? And do tell what areas of Barrington you can not walk the streets alone at nite,,we have yet to discover them in over 20 years here,,really,am curious as I dont know...Willow creek is south barrington on the hoffman estates border,,it really has nothing to do with barrington,,,its congreation is from all over chicagoland.I dont belong,but it is NON denominational,not evangelical,and your comment about it not having anything to with God will surprise the thousands that choose to worship there. The OP asked specifically about Barrington,,thats why I didnt mention the surrounding burbs,which are very nice and yes like much of Barrington-"normal"

Old 09-06-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweatin2theOldies View Post
Somehow Barrington has gotten this reputation of having filthy rich people and over the top lifestyles. Hello....they don't even have a bookstore there.
LOL So a town/city has to have a bookstore to have filthy rich people?

Dang, its true! You really do learn something every day!

Old 09-18-2007, 03:05 PM

238 posts, read 565,259 times
Thanks for all your replies. My friend has gone house hunting and found some nice homes in Inverness. I think that a part of Barrington. Is that a nice area?

They are moderately weathly. Both my friend and her husband are engineers. Combined I'd say they make close to 200k a year

Old 09-18-2007, 04:02 PM

Inverness is part of Palatine actually.It is very nice,small,acerage,rolling ,trees,but no town,village etc

Old 09-20-2007, 12:21 PM

145 posts, read 641,804 times
I've had friends buy in Inverness as well. HUGE house (we are talking almost 3000 sq ft w/o counting the basement) for around $650'ish. But the place seems very bland, with each house looking like the next, little to no trees in at least their sub-div, and lot of wasted footage inside the house as well. Still, I suppose there are worse places to be...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs