Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2007, 12:12 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,626 times

Advertisements

I'm probably posting this a little late since our home is already under construction but I hadn't found this site when we were deciding where to live. My husband and I are a young couple with a 1-year-old son (planning on more kids). My husband is from Tinley Park and didn't want to move too far from his family. We are both college graduates, but since my son was born I have been a stay at home Mom. We were looking for a nice place to raise our family where we could afford a single family home with decent schools and full of families similar to ourselves. Since we are a young couple and didn't have equity built up in a home (like those who got lucky and purchased prior to the housing boom and made a killing) and since we are a 1-income family, we had a limited budget, wanted to stay under $250K for a single family home with decent schools. (Which is quite a challenge in Chicagoland.) So we found Plainfield/Far West Joliet area, which allowed us to stay in our budget and seemed to be family friendly areas. We settled on a brand new community in far West Joliet that is NOT in Joliet schools (I'm aware of the bad rep of Joliet schools), but is in Minooka schools which seemed to rate well on greatschools.net It looks like a very nice area with lots of shopping, lots of families around, and surprisingly low home prices. My question is, is anyone from this area? (Far West Joliet with Minooka schools) Are you happy with the school system? Do you feel we are making a good choice by building a home there? I just want to make sure I'm making a good decision for my family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 05:55 PM

24 posts, read 141,749 times
I'm very familiar with the area and have a couple friends that live in Lakewood Praire and Sable Ridge subdivisions. They are both stay at home moms as well. It's a great area and I'm sure you'll like it and be happy there. If you're interested in meeting other stay at home moms once you move, send me a direct message with your e-mail address and I'll send you the link to a local moms group that I'm part of. The friends I mentioned that live over there are both in the group, also.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:19 PM

3 posts, read 8,954 times
Where you are moving is definitely a good neighborhood.

However, the Minooka school district is severely overcrowded, you'll probably notice the trailers in front of the school as you drive by. With that many people per classroom, your child can not get a decent education. I would suggest sending your child to a private school.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:21 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,626 times
He's only 15 months right now, so hopefully they will have built some new schools by the time he starts kindergarten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs