Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 06:54 PM

169 posts, read 547,872 times

Advertisements

My husband works in Bucktown and Park Ridge is an area we are considering. However, I know flooding and airplane noise is an issue in the area. Can anybody break down the town by areas to avoid with these problems? We will probably wait until Spring to go out with an agent, but since we have two young kids I don't want to waste time looking at properties that we wouldn't consider living in due to flooding or noise. I grew up in a home that had major flooding and would like to avoid that!

Also, I am a stay-at-home mom and have been trying to find some groups of other SAHMs in Park Ridge, but am not having any luck. Of course I don't need it right now, but it also makes me wonder if there aren't as many in Park Ridge as there are in the Naperville area (where we are moving from). Usually you can find a group on meetup.com and I'm not seeing anything, which has me a little concerned that it would be harder to meet other moms in the same position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 03:12 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,259,277 times
When it comes to flooding in Park Ridge it is not like Des Plaines. There are no properties on the river. The determining factors for flooding are the age of the house, your yard, and your neighbors' yards (the older it is the more likely there are to be problems, if your yard dips in flooding is more likely, if your neighbors' yards are raised the water will trickle into yours, etc.). It is usually a case by case thing.

Airplane noise, on the other hand, is easier. Since O'Hare was redone the noise is more noticeable but the Southern part of Park Ridge has historically been the loudest. To give you an idea, probably South of Granville. The further North and East you go the less noise there should be, but it wont make a big difference.

Park Ridge does have a sizable amount of stay at home moms so it should not be too hard to meet them if you choose to move to Park Ridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs