Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 08:55 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times

Advertisements

I don't know anything about Evanston. Has anyone answered the OPs question about the difference between OP and Evanston? Not schools, not mileage, not train routes or car routes, Not Wheaton or DuPage.... just the original question? If you have not, can someone please answer the quesiton?

Old 12-21-2011, 06:59 AM

214 posts, read 545,843 times
I have lived in both places. I like them both but prefer Oak Park.

Main differences:
Evanston is a college town, Oak Park is not.
Evanston is closer to the lake & affluent North Shore communities. Oak Park is closer to downtown.
They are very similar. Oak Park is a little more "kooky" in my opinion. Slightly nuttier people, which is generally a good thing.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:56 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
I have lived in both places. I like them both but prefer Oak Park.

Main differences:
Evanston is a college town, Oak Park is not.
Evanston is closer to the lake & affluent North Shore communities. Oak Park is closer to downtown.
They are very similar. Oak Park is a little more "kooky" in my opinion. Slightly nuttier people, which is generally a good thing.
good assessment, hatchetman. both evanston and oak park have a tremendous sense of place, of being a place apart and differentiating themselves from both Chicago and other suburbs.

despite all that FLW architecture and Oak Park's deep roots (once the world's largest village and home to Hemmingway and all), I think Evanston sets itself apart more than Oak Park. Oak Park is smack dab in the middle of everything (which can be a good thing)...it's near west suburban and part of an area that is strongly tied to Chicago's grid. Traffic goes through Oak Park or abuts it (as in the case of Harlem Ave) in a way that is not true of Evanston.

Evanston is not about through traffic. Evanston is about being itself. The major east west thoroughfares that run through suburbia with endless strip malls...streets like Dempster or Golf or Oakton....run through Evanston narrower and greener and less commercially. Generally speaking, Evanston is not on the way to anywhere (unless by some chance you're going from Chicago to Wilmette. I like this aspect of the place and feel it gives Evanston a certain type of feel that OP cannot duplicate.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:29 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,848,992 times
If I was the one commuting to O'Hare on a regular basis, I wouldn't choose Evanston. Too much going "against the grain" to get to O'Hare.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:32 PM

18 posts, read 42,443 times
Thanks for all the info!!

Old 12-23-2011, 10:30 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,784,682 times
Oak Park seems like a good fit for you guys. As for the 200K Chet finds issue with in OP, I recently read an article about all you can get for 200K in OP which covered updated condos, town houses and older small bungalows. I believe the article was on oakpark.com. You have a lot more choice in OP in the current market within your price range, so I'd recommend doing some more searching in OP if you feel it's the place for you.

I can't think of another suburb that feels as uniformally accepting of people of non-traditional lives as Oak Park, or Evanston... Maybe someone else can point to these other hidden Jems?

Old 12-23-2011, 05:37 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Default I think I will disagree

I disagree to this point only. We don't know how many members who clain to live in Chicago are actual residents or ever have been. It is not terribly difficult to make a racist comment. I think perhaps the following might be a more accurate statement about Chigoans as a whole.

"In my experience more baseless bigotry is expressed on this board than I have ever experienced in real life "

With this I would agree 100% as my own experience in Chicago was very much the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

In my experience more baseless bigotry is expressed by resident of Chicago on this board than I have ever experienced in real life.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:58 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Well there are some obvious differences ...

The area to the immeadiate west of Naperville includes some of the most run down and inhospitable portions of Aurora. Those areas have largely become synonomous with the kinds neighborhoods in urban areas where crime overwhelms the decent citizens. Many residents of Aurora's worst neighborhoods do not identify with the American culture whatsoever. I am not saying it is right for folks to fear that similar things could harm their property values in Naperville but it is understable how folks could have such fears.

In contrast the economic success of most homosexual couples is generally a plus for neighborhoods. Stereotypes aside, many homosexual couples really are the kind of people that appreciate a well kept home, often renovating and landscaping with both more vigor than typical new home owners as well as having a predisposition toward things high on the visual appeal scale.

In my experience the welcome that is extended to newcomers in Naperville of all backgrounds is first rate. The best areas in Naperville, with walking distance of the well developed downtown, tend to be pricey. That said should the OP find something in their price range they should have no fears of discrimination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
Joking,right? I've known people who've moved out of there because of the discrimination they faced, and they were Mexican.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:28 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,784,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The area to the immeadiate west of Naperville includes some of the most run down and inhospitable portions of Aurora. Those areas have largely become synonomous with the kinds neighborhoods in urban areas where crime overwhelms the decent citizens. Many residents of Aurora's worst neighborhoods do not identify with the American culture whatsoever. I am not saying it is right for folks to fear that similar things could harm their property values in Naperville but it is understable how folks could have such fears.

In contrast the economic success of most homosexual couples is generally a plus for neighborhoods. Stereotypes aside, many homosexual couples really are the kind of people that appreciate a well kept home, often renovating and landscaping with both more vigor than typical new home owners as well as having a predisposition toward things high on the visual appeal scale.

In my experience the welcome that is extended to newcomers in Naperville of all backgrounds is first rate. The best areas in Naperville, with walking distance of the well developed downtown, tend to be pricey. That said should the OP find something in their price range they should have no fears of discrimination.
It sounds like you're making assumptions about my Mexican friend, but let me just say that he's well educated, well spoken, is a hard working professional and does not perpetuate the "stereotypes" "decent citizens" have of some minorities... his kids are also well spoken and educated, yet he, AND his kids, still encountered discrimination from people in their community and in the schools. Of course, his kids were the only non-whites of their class, and were made to feel so.

It's ironic that you say "stereotypes aside", and then go straight on to perpetuate a stereotype that "many homosexual couples really are the kind of people that appreciate a well kept home..." The whole problem my friend faced was that there were too many people in his community stereotyping him and his family based on their ethnicity and non-"traditional" family culture... but that's really not too surprising considering that Naperville has been a long time stronghold for conservatives.

Some how I don't get the sense that that's the type of "open mindedness" OP is looking for, but I could be wrong?

Old 12-24-2011, 09:11 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
My main concern for the OP is their small budget will lead to less desirable areas in general. The trends that I have seen over many years in real estate sales and in leasing out single family homes is that lower income areas tend to be more prone to bigotry than areas with better demographics.

Whether you are considering things like town homes and the use of common areas, or the expectations of children's behavior while on the playground, or pet owners and their tolerance of good habits or even the general amount of "family gatherings" that occur amongst those of lower incomes the sort of things that build neighborhoods vs push down property values are all much different in the areas served by East Aurora High than those in neighboring Naperville.

I know many people of Hispanic backgrounds in areas much more expensive than Naperville who will honestly say that folks that don't bother to get to know them do seem 'cold' if not downright unfriendly and those who are looking for excuses will blame their obvious racial appearance, but the wiser folks will use that subtle bias to motivate themselves and their children to greater achievement. In particular I know a fairly large number of folks of Cuban background in Oak Brook and the success of these household where mom & dad are both physicians, some of the kids are lawyers, others doctors, and still others holders of MBAs from the most prestigious schools onnthe globe are more than enough to actually thank their neighbors for their "coldness"... BTW the success and diversity of the Oak Brook schools is first rate -- children of Asian, East Indian, African American, Hispanic and every other background are well served in small classes with top notch teachers. There is no such thing as an "all white" classroom in D53. I have a little experience with Naperville D203 and I would be shocked if ther are not similar levels of multi-culturalism. The appeal that the town has for East Indians, Asians, and other groups that value education place it high on the lists of high achieving moms and dads that work in demanding roles in IT, healthcare, and general business roles. I wonder which school in Naperville if any could ever be said to be "all white"...

I know a much smaller number of homosexual families but those that I have interacted with through real estate sales have been, bar none, some of the most successful sellers because of the extra level of attention that they gave to the visual aspects of their properties. This is not just something that is a myth, but the reality of what I have seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs