Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2007, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 5,303 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of nice apts for under $800 in the northern suburbs? I would like to be near the metra and possibly in the Mount Prospect or Arlington Heights area. I am also looking for something that includes at least some utilities. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 04:26 PM

474 posts, read 2,538,771 times
Default Probably Not Available For $800

Dear Friends:

Since no one else has attempted to answer your question, then I will give it a try. I don't expect you will find what you are seeking. For an apartment that also includes paid utilities and at $800 - - probably does not exist in the Chicago area. Rental prices are all related to desirability, safety, good or bad neighborhood, condition of the apartment and where it is located.
It is possible that you might find such an apartment far, far away from Chicago. However, then you would have trouble with transportation to Chicago. It is also possible that you might find such an apartment in Maywood, Illinois but then you might get you or your family killed through neighborhood ILLEGAL firearms and gang bangers.
Only you and your family know your goals as to why you wish to move to the Chicago area. So as a suggestion, look at the grass surrounding your current home locale where ever that may be. Perhaps the grass where you are now located is greener than what you might THINK is available in the Chicago area? The Chicago area is over congested with everything. And that also reflects very high prices for everthing except one's employment remuneration. And the remuneration of employment is now decreasing everyway in the U.S. of America.
Sorry that I have to be somewhat negative. However, I try to help people with Chicago area caveats so they don't lose their financial shirt.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass

Old 09-01-2007, 10:11 PM

44 posts, read 239,400 times
Colonial Village Apts in Itasca charges just under 800 for one bedroom. Its got metra.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:37 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
I just feel compelled to respond to Mr. Glass's post. I know nothing about the rental market in the northern suburbs. I do know, however, that it is possible to rent a one bedroom vintage apartment in the desirable (safest) part of Oak Park or Forest Park for $800/month or (slightly) less. I would imagine rental rates in (less desirable) Maywood are even lower.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:23 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,509,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssll96 View Post
Does anyone know of nice apts for under $800 in the northern suburbs? I would like to be near the metra and possibly in the Mount Prospect or Arlington Heights area. I am also looking for something that includes at least some utilities. Thanks.
For the life of me, I have no idea where you would find such a deal in the northern burbs, but you may want to check out south side towns such as Tinley Park, Orland Park, Oak Forest, Crestwood, Palos Heights, Worth, Chicago Ridge, Oak Lawn, Evergreen Park, Stickney, and in Chicago try Garfield Ridge, Clearing, or Midway neighborhoods. All of those towns have trains that run to downtown. Here is a link to better help you find what you are looking for. :: Classifieds ::

Old 09-04-2007, 08:47 AM

61 posts, read 301,229 times
What size of an apartment are you looking for? Like others have said, it MAY be possible to find something, but it will most likely be a studio or a 1 bedroom.

I lived about 45 miles from the city of Chicago - in the NW suburb of Cary - in a 1 bedroom apartment for $735 including all utilities. It was a really nice apartment - and Cary is a great town - also literally across the street from the Metra train and I use to commute to the city. It is a somewhat lengthy ride of up to 90 minutes to get downtown, but I loved the town of Cary and the rental housing is affordable.
After moving out of my 1 bedroom, I moved down a few streets to a 2 bedroom larger apartment with a washer/dryer for $810/mo., but it did not include all of my utilities.

So if you're looking for a 1 bedroom (and sometimes you can find a 2 bedroom) in the northern burbs and you don't mind a commute to the city, I would check out Cary & Crystal Lake. They are both along the Metra line and you can find a rental for under $800.

Good luck!

Old 09-04-2007, 08:49 AM

61 posts, read 301,229 times
Oh and 2 years ago when I was living in Cary, I was a single woman in my late twenties and I use to walk everywhere - to the train, to eat, etc. It is a very safe area also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs