Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 08:07 PM

202 posts, read 270,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I've known far too many friends who get married, live in the city and love it, but then get pregnant and have a baby. All of them have been kinda bummed out about moving out of the city, but they do it for the more stable lifestyle and larger house in the burbs. They aren't FLEEING the city, they're just doing what's turned out to be somewhat of a natural progression. Graduate college, move to the city, have kids, leave. I think the black population on the west side and south side are an exception to this (and have over half the city population). They haven't moved out of the city when they have children as much as the white people. I know there are social and racial issues for this - but for the sake of this conversation, it is what it is. A lot of the growth in the 90's was also because of the somewhat newer hispanic presence in the city. They moved in en-masse from other countries, and set up neighborhoods and families within the city limits. I'm sure over time they will start following suit and move out to the suburbs, and the city population might dip a bit more.
This is the thing that I don't get, though...the perception that an urban lifestyle is stable for singles or married folks without kids, but the minute kids are in the picture, the lifestyle suddenly gets relabeled as less stable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 09:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
No, it's been less stable for a while, precisely because of the kind of transience into and out of the city (s)he describes. There tends to be more stability and less "coming-and-going" out in the suburbs. Once there, people tend to stay put for a while unless a job or similar life situation uproots them.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:41 AM

5 posts, read 16,749 times
Default Would Like To Visit

I grew up in Chicago in the Albany park neighborhood I beleive on Lawrence Ave
I would like to bring my kids there to see where I grew up and went to school at Volta Elementary school,Eugene park,Gompers Park, also lived on Ainslie street. I'm trying to remember things. Lake Michigan
Would it be a safe neighborhood to visit.
Any info would help
Thanks

Old 09-14-2007, 10:54 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,632,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
They aren't FLEEING the city, they're just doing what's turned out to be somewhat of a natural progression. Graduate college, move to the city, have kids, leave.
but it wasnt always like that. generations of families lived their entire lives in the city. it wasnt until the 1950s and developers came around and created and marketed the "american dream", that people felt they needed a huge house and a yard and to "get away".

the fact is, americans for whatever reason love their suburbs. this is the opposite in europe, where most money is poured into the city center and its seen as the most desireable place to live. this is why our city centers are crumbling: because we dont invest in them. but i guess the people have spoken...

Old 09-14-2007, 12:21 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,182,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
There tends to be more stability and less "coming-and-going" out in the suburbs.
I'm not so sure of that. Outside of university areas people in single family homes in the city and in condos tend to stay put, also. Maybe its inertia.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:05 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,947,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
but it wasnt always like that. generations of families lived their entire lives in the city. it wasnt until the 1950s and developers came around and created and marketed the "american dream", that people felt they needed a huge house and a yard and to "get away".
That's not entirely true.

Americans have always been fleeing the dense city for more leafy environments. Back in the early 20th century, the dream was to move out of the apartment by the lake and to a SFH with a yard in western part of the city (northwest, southwest sides, Austin, etc). In fact, Chicago grew in size by annexing areas further west as they became more and more populated.

The difference now, is that the city limits are pretty much set. There is no more significant annexation by the city of Chicago. If the annexation trends of the 19th and early 20th century remained up till today, Chicago would probably encompass all of Cook and Dupage county.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
It wasn't just that they felt the need to "get away." It was that the growth of suburbia gave people a chance at home ownership for the first time, something that was not as easy to achieve in the city. That's a huge, huge reason why the suburbs became so popular.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLEY29 View Post
I grew up in Chicago in the Albany park neighborhood I beleive on Lawrence Ave
I would like to bring my kids there to see where I grew up and went to school at Volta Elementary school,Eugene park,Gompers Park, also lived on Ainslie street. I'm trying to remember things. Lake Michigan
Would it be a safe neighborhood to visit.
Any info would help
Thanks
Albany Park is a pretty safe neighborhood. It's an interesting mix of white, Hispanic, Korean and Middle Eastern. Makes for some good eatin' up there.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:52 AM

18 posts, read 55,216 times
I've been in Chicago (Westlawn) on and off for 30 yrs. Back in the 70's the buzz was if you lived west of Pulaski, you were in a "Hot property" spot. Law was passed for City workers to live in the city, so the ones I knew of, bought on the fringes of the town. One moved in 2 doors down from me. So why move if you got someone with a gun living 2 doors down? It was safe. Now that same home has 2 or 3 families in it... all hispanic... Most homes on the block are multi families in one home. this much concentration of people causes the potential for crime to escalate. And the street I live on is dangerous because it's a shortcut for the heavy pulaski traffic. The stop signs are ignored, and that's also a crime, and dangerous for anyone trying to cross the street. If I had children in the "hood" they would have to speak Spanish to be able to play. dont get me wrong, if I spoke enough Espanole', I would be knocking down the Tequila on the front stoop of the house and talking trash. Maybe that's the new way of being "safe"

Old 09-19-2007, 10:50 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,632,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaLisa View Post
And the street I live on is dangerous because it's a shortcut for the heavy pulaski traffic. The stop signs are ignored, and that's also a crime, and dangerous for anyone trying to cross the street.
people dont blow stopsigns in the burbs? interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs