Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 09:53 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,628,275 times

Advertisements

Does anyone in the northern suburbs get CBS TV with an indoor antenna?

I decided to skip cable/satellite TV for my apartment, since I don't watch much, and already pay enough for internet. But I am surprised I don't get CBS in Buffalo Grove.

Can I do something with my existing setup or is there an indoor antenna able to receive CBS TV...?

Trying to avoid sitting in a bar for 2-3 hours to watch the NFL playoffs game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 11:17 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,411,345 times
I'm just West of the city, but CBS is the hardest to get here as well.

This is the antenna we use

http://www.amazon.com/Terk-Amplified...7169796&sr=1-4

You just have to adjust it quite a bit at first to find the right position, and never touch it/move it once you get reception.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:25 PM

185 posts, read 594,708 times
One thing to watch out for: Around the time they were converting to digital, there were a lot of hucksters peddling UHF antennas as "HD antennas." (There is really no such thing as an HD antenna, it's a marketing term.) WBBM-TV (channel 2) in Chicago is on a VHF frequency (physical channel 12). If someone sold you a cheap (or overpriced) "HD antenna" it may not have a VHF section.

Check antennaweb.org for antenna suggestions:
AntennaWeb

Old 01-22-2012, 10:10 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,628,275 times
Thank you for the recommendations. Apparently I need a small multi-directional antenna, which I thought is what I have. I'm going to see what I can do in the short remaining hours before the game... But if I can't get the signal, then it's off to Chili's probably. I appreciate the links.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:13 PM

185 posts, read 594,708 times
I just had one thought -- and this is a longshot.

Instead of tuning to channel 2.1, tune to channel 12.1 and see if that helps. Then if you are adjusting your antenna, leave your TV tuned into 12.1 and see if anything pops up on the screen.

The reason this might (but probably won't) help: Virtual channel 2.1 actually transmits on physical channel 12.1. If when you did the "scan" to set up your tuner if it couldn't receive a signal on physical channel 12, it wasn't able to determine that virtual channel 2 maps to channel 12, so it doesn't know where to tune when you request channel 2.1.

Try it, see if it helps.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 46,448 times
I have the same problem in NW Burb Wheeling. I haven't seen CBS for years and I am always let down by missing sports. I am shocked a large network hasn't figured out how everyone can view their channel. CBS you get two thumbs down for availability, and two big toe thumbs down for business smarts.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:34 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,312,007 times
Default It seems it has always been this way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
Does anyone in the northern suburbs get CBS TV with an indoor antenna?

I decided to skip cable/satellite TV for my apartment, since I don't watch much, and already pay enough for internet. But I am surprised I don't get CBS in Buffalo Grove.

Can I do something with my existing setup or is there an indoor antenna able to receive CBS TV...?

Trying to avoid sitting in a bar for 2-3 hours to watch the NFL playoffs game.
I remember this has always been the case with CBS channel 2 in Chicago. I have cable so it isn't any longer a problem for us.

More, newer questions about CBS 2 Chicago Reception

Hi all.

I noticed a bunch of old threads here about bad reception on CBS 2 Chicago. For as long as I can remember, even back in the old days of NTSC regular analog, CBS 2 has always been a basket case. Snowy back then, and now I just can't get it on my HD Hauppauge 2250 card. It is now broadcasting on 12.1 STILL VHF. They just don't get it.

More, newer questions about CBS 2 Chicago Reception - High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Google search...CBS channel 2 reception in chicago, il

cbs channel 2 reception in chicago, il - Google Search

Old 11-22-2012, 10:58 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
I had the installers from TheLittleGuys.com put one of these in my attic and it works really well -- Winegard HD8200U VHF UHF TV Antenna

Old 11-25-2012, 02:45 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Subscribe to cable now but channel two was always the worst for over the air reception. Part of it is "co-channel QRM.". Channel two has the greatest range, meaning any other station on that channel can overlap reception. I remember one year the bad reception was found to come from a channel two station in California

Last edited by pvande55; 11-25-2012 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: Corrected location

Old 11-26-2012, 07:08 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,223 times
Channel 2 has always sucked for reception off the air. Even when they were analog they sucked. Good to see they are keeping the sucky off the air tradition alive in the digital world. I have an easier time getting UHF stations than channel 2 with an antenna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs