Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 12:34 PM

124 posts, read 509,393 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to somewhere next month (hopefully ) My husband will be working in Arlington Heights, we are looking for somewhere to live that is safe, not too far from work (30 mins max), near to outdoor recreation possibilities (hiking/biking), not too far from shops (20 mins max).

Is this a realistic list? I am completely overwhelmed when I look at a map, there seem to be so many suburbs, I just don't know where to start looking!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 01:20 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Why not AH itself?

Old 02-09-2012, 02:27 PM

921 posts, read 1,095,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachiie View Post
My husband and I are moving to somewhere next month (hopefully ) My husband will be working in Arlington Heights, we are looking for somewhere to live that is safe, not too far from work (30 mins max), near to outdoor recreation possibilities (hiking/biking), not too far from shops (20 mins max).

Is this a realistic list? I am completely overwhelmed when I look at a map, there seem to be so many suburbs, I just don't know where to start looking!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Why don't you take a look at Arlington Heights first ?
And please give us more info:
Rent v Buy; Budget; Schools.....

Old 02-09-2012, 03:05 PM

I hadn't really considered Arlington Heights as other people who have moved to the area with the same company never choose to live there. I presumed this was for a reason (not meaning to offend anyone). I have heard good things about Lake Zurich but it looks expensive.

Other relevant info:

No kids, so schools are not important.

Renting as we move frequently, in our past 4 states we have paid between $975 and $1100 for 2 bed/2 bath apartments and a 3 bedroom house. I know IL is a more expensive state but we do not really want to spend a ton on renting, we would rather go on vacation!

Last edited by Rachiie; 02-09-2012 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-09-2012, 03:26 PM

921 posts, read 1,095,778 times
Quote:
I hadn't really considered Arlington Heights as other people who have moved to the area with the same company never choose to live there. I presumed this was for a reason (not meaning to offend anyone). I have heard good things about Lake Zurich but it looks expensive.

Other relevant info:

No kids, so schools are not important.

Renting as we move frequently, in our past 4 states we have paid between $975 and $1100 for 2 bed/2 bath apartments and a 3 bedroom house. I know IL is a more expensive state but we do not really want to spend a ton on renting, we would rather go on vacation!
Other regular poster here (cubsoxfan) has recently recommended the following rental apartments in AH and surrounding area:
Dunton Towers, Avalon, Brook Run in Arlington Heights.
Village Green at Arlington Club and Woodland Creek in Wheeling.

Please search the site for more info.
I don't know abot the price though....

Old 02-09-2012, 03:28 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
$1100 is not going to go far in AH or other nicer suburbs. That might explain why other folks may be living further out.

Lake Zurich might be a good option, and some of the unincorporated areas nearby (WITHOUT large apartments complexes...) are probably worth checking out too.

Closer in the more affordable large apartment complexes tend to attract folks with larger families who unfortunately tend to have less time to supervise their kids. Bad situation...

Old 02-09-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
$1100 is not going to go far in AH or other nicer suburbs. That might explain why other folks may be living further out.

Lake Zurich might be a good option, and some of the unincorporated areas nearby (WITHOUT large apartments complexes...) are probably worth checking out too.

Closer in the more affordable large apartment complexes tend to attract folks with larger families who unfortunately tend to have less time to supervise their kids. Bad situation...
Thanks for replying. I have done some research concerning rental property rates and we would like to find somewhere that works and is cheaper but we are willing to spend up to $1350.

My husband is a keen mountain biker so we would like to be relatively close to somewhere he can ride.

We will only have a couple of weeks to find a place so I am trying to do some leg work before arriving in IL.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:42 PM

537 posts, read 1,034,746 times
Quote:
Thanks for replying. I have done some research concerning rental property rates and we would like to find somewhere that works and is cheaper but we are willing to spend up to $1350.

My husband is a keen mountain biker so we would like to be relatively close to somewhere he can ride.

We will only have a couple of weeks to find a place so I am trying to do some leg work before arriving in IL.
Without a doubt the best place to ride a mountain bike anywhere in the Chicagoland area are the trails at Palos Forest Preserve.

Link
http://cambr.org/SMF/index.php?topic=359.0

These are in Willow Springs, south of I55 between I355 and I294. Not particularly close to Arlington Heights but an easy mostly expressway drive on the weekends. There really isn't a solid reason to live close by unless he wants to ride before and after work.

If work is in Arlington Heights and you want to stay close by it has one of the better social scenes in the burbs. Nightlife is centered around Arlington Heights Rd and Northwest Highway. I don't know the rates but there are a lot of nice buildings right around the intersection.

Last edited by tomcho; 02-09-2012 at 07:01 PM..

Old 02-09-2012, 08:05 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
Arlington Heights is one of the nicer NW suburbs to live in. Many also look in Mt. Prospect.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,154 times
We love living in Arlington Heights, IL. Woodfield Mall is about 15 minutes away, there is plenty of bike/walking trails at Busse Woods (10 - 15 minutes), the Metra can have you downtown in 30 minutes, and the schools are very highly ranked. Check out [url=http://www.CityStirArlingtonHeights.com]Arlington Heights Community Website, Arlington Heights Classifieds[/url] for events, real estate, and news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs