Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 05:58 PM

10 posts, read 41,914 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife and I are moving to the Chicago area from NYC area. I will be working in St. Charles and my wife in the city. We do not have children so we do not need to factor in schools. We've lived in a very congested area most of our lives and are looking for a slower-paced suburb. We will be apt. renting the first year or so and we are wondering if anyone could give us sincere feedback on any of these communities, which we are considering:
-Geneva
-Wheaton
-Bartlett
-Lisle
-Glen Ellyn
-Winfield

Any useful information would be greatly appreciated, esp. from those who may live in one of these places. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2006, 10:32 PM

9 posts, read 54,851 times
The closer to Chicago you get the faster paced the suburbs will get for the most part. I am from the west side of Elgin, which is just north of Geneva and near Bartlett. Geneva is a GREAT town and it is close to St. Charles. There is also a Metra line that goes through Geneva. Metra is the train service that runs from the suburbs into the city. It's a very pretty and well taken care of city. You might like the area of town on Randall Road. Bartlett is also a nice place to live but I don't know much about it. I also hear good things about Wheaton, but I can't tell you much else. Glen Ellyn I've been to once and didn't like it. As for the other two, I have no idea. I hope I helped.

Old 07-08-2006, 06:39 AM

Question Reply to Violet5434

Thanks much.

Two more questions: It looks as if the metra takes about 1 hour to get to Chicago from Geneva and has a final arrival at the Ogilvie station. Do you know what exactly is the Ogilvie station? In other words, is it a main station in midtown Chicago? Is it a main hub, like here in NYC with Grand Central or Union stations? And how good is the Chicago subway system?

Thanks again.

Old 07-08-2006, 10:37 AM

The main station in Chicago is Union station. Some Metra lines end up there and so do Amtrak trains. I've never been to Ogilvie Station but it's only 4 blocks north of Union station, so it still has a good location. It's also only a few blocks from the loop, the business area of town. The subway system in my experience is pretty good, but they just raised the prices to $3 one way. Although, I think you can buy a ticket that is good for a month or something for cheaper. Here is the website: www.chicagotransit.com.

Old 07-08-2006, 05:44 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,091,867 times
Ogilvie is very close to the loop, loads of people take the train there and if they work in the LOOP just walk to work (I work in a high rise in the LOOP and Olgivie is a 5 minute walk away from where I work (too bad that isn't how I get home). Olgivie is a very busy and modern train station, approximately 40,000 people trapse through there a day (I used to work in this train station and felt like I dealt with 'em all first hand and it serves mostly the western and northwestern suburbs.

The "el" (subway) did not raise their fare to $3 one way. If you buy a transit card the fare is $2 for the train and $1.75 for the bus. If you buy a "Chicago Card" or "Chicago Plus" card it is 1.75 for both. Transfers (which can be used on the same line, that wasn't always the case) are .25 with the card but are not issued to cash paying customers, you must use a transit card to get a transfer. Depending on where you work, you probably wouldn't want to shell out $75 for a monthly pass.

If your workplace is a bit of a hike from the train station but still in the LOOP, you can always take a taxi in bad weather, I know a few people who do that on particularily brutal winter days.

Chicago has a few 'hubs' as far as train stations that serve the suburbs go, Olgivie is probably the biggest and most up do date, there is another station on the corner of Randolph and Michigan that serves the south side, south suburbs, and nw indiana that is getting a much needed make-over (as for years it had all the charm of a crumbling fall out shelter, much to my dismay as it is the station I use the most besides the 'el'), and another station that serves some of the south-side and southwest burbs.

Last edited by j33; 07-08-2006 at 05:51 PM..

Old 07-09-2006, 12:11 AM

I had the website wrong before, it's www.transitchicago.com.

Also, the website does say $2, sorry about that.

Last edited by Violet5434; 07-09-2006 at 12:13 AM..

Old 07-09-2006, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 34,101 times
Hi. I have lived in both the suburbs of Wheaton and Winfield. Both are completely ideal. They are very relaxed, yet classy. Wheaton has very nice single family homes and apartment complexes as well. It also has a charming downtown area, complete with a beautiful park. On the south end of the town, you will find some upscale shopping, the Chicago Golf Club, and a large multi-functional park. Wheaton has GREAT schools and one of the best public libraries in the nation. Both towns have Metra stations. Wheaton has two, as a matter of fact.

Geneva, as the other person said, is very close to St. Charles and is very nice. I personally don't like Glen Ellyn. The downtown area is hectic and not relaxed. Barlett and Lisle are alright, nothing special, though.

Hope that helps. Good luck with the move.

Old 07-12-2006, 12:43 PM

Thank you everyone for all of your information. It was very helpful and will assist me in making some informed decisions.

Thanks again.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:50 PM

33 posts, read 69,763 times
Of the communities you mentioned I would recommend Geneva, Wheaton & Glen Ellyn...in that order. If your wife's commute time is a priority then Geneva is the furthest from the city and the order might change for you.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:19 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,277,465 times
Another option is a short term lease, say of 6 months, that will give you the opportunity to get your feet on the ground. Oak Park is a pretty nice place about 8 miles from the Loop. Every form of transportation from train, bus, limo, taxi and zipcar are available. There are residents who live in OP and work in Geneva.. which has nothing to do with your situation. The rest of your equation addresses how far it is to St. Charles from OP, and the travel time involved. The slight advantage here, if there is one, is the Oak Park Regional Housing Center. It is a non-profit organization that was formed to help new residents to the area find suitable housing. They can and will anwer all your questions. You will have your answers before you move.

I do not disagree with any other poster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs