Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2012, 11:17 AM

382 posts, read 825,340 times

Advertisements

We currently are renting in Naperville, about a mile from the downtown area. While we love Naperville, it is very very expensive to live in the downtown area and still have an updated, 4br house. Another problem is that my husband commutes to the city, and Naperville has a 10 year wait list for parking near the train. We have two children (boy and girl) and I work from home a lot, so we'd need another room for an office. Our budget is up to 600k and we'd like something where we can walk to the train and downtown, with good schools. I recently was in LaGrange and thought it was nice, but wonder what others think. Hinsdale is lovely, but I don't think 600k will get us far there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 12:46 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
There definately is strong demand at your price point in all the desirable towns along the BNSF. It is not so much that "your money won't go far" as the shear demand for something with 4BR, updated, not too close to the noise of the train but maybe close enough to walk most days and under $750k or so remains VERY strong from LaGrange through Naperville. When homes in that price range in the half a dozen or so towns with desirable schools come on the market they usually get A LOT of showings very quickly and if there are no glaring defects go under contract quickly...

Downers Grove, with three separate Metra stops, does have a bit more to choose from than other towns along the BNSF so might concentrate your search there, but honestly if you work with any good real estate agent that can set you up with email alerts for homes in your price range with the features you want you would be wise to check out homes as they come on the market. For folks in your situation, especially if they can't just drop everything becuase the kids need care when they are not in school, I strongly recommend touring a range of exisiting listings, even if they are outside of your target, so that your agent can develop a short list of "must haves" and "deal killers" and they can "pre shop" listing for you. Additionally I think it is smart to consider alternatives to a ready-to-move-in home / ones with reduced room count, as some may have the layout that would allow for easy updating / addition and the total MIGHT still be in your reachable budget...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs