Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 04:57 PM

5 posts, read 8,483 times

Advertisements

Looks like we're honing down our home search to Naperville. I will have to commute from Naperville to Glenwood. Looks to be about a 45mile (45-50 min) commute.

Is this crazy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 05:22 PM

829 posts, read 2,087,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloroag View Post
Looks like we're honing down our home search to Naperville. I will have to commute from Naperville to Glenwood. Looks to be about a 45mile (45-50 min) commute.

Is this crazy?
It depends how good the money is or how desperate you are for a job. Eventually you will probably want to move though or find a better job that is closer.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:32 PM

44 posts, read 139,604 times
Just my opinion but I wouldn't do it. Rent a hotel for a night or 2 in Naperville and commute it to get a feel for it. You start thinking 2hrs/5days a week = 10hrs weekly that could be better spent doing other things not to mention the cost of fuel (lets face it - its not getting cheaper). Over the course of a year you will spend a couple thousand dollars extra just to live in Naperville. There are other nice options available for you a lot closer to Glenwood - Orland & Palos are the ones that I am familiar with that come to mind. Indiana has some good options as well and property taxes will be less. Unfortunately you still have to pay Illinois income tax since they are no longer reciprocal states but the financial shape of Indiana is much better than that of Illinois. You could realistically save between 5-10K annually by living closer to work in Indiana.

Last edited by sbking; 02-12-2012 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: R

Old 02-12-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbking View Post
Just my opinion but I wouldn't do it. Rent a hotel for a night or 2 in Naperville and commute it to get a feel for it. You start thinking 2hrs/5days a week = 10hrs weekly that could be better spent doing other things not to mention the cost of fuel (lets face it - its not getting cheaper). Over the course of a year you will spend a couple thousand dollars extra just to live in Naperville. There are other nice options available for you a lot closer to Glenwood - Orland & Palos are the ones that I am familiar with that come to mind. Indiana has some good options as well and property taxes will be less. Unfortunately you still have to pay Illinois income tax since they are no longer reciprocal states but the financial shape of Indiana is much better than that of Illinois. You could realistically save between 5-10K annually by living closer to work in Indiana.

I don't think the poster was asking whether or not to move to indiana. But rather if commuting 2 hours a day from naperville to glenwood was a sensible idea. Which is only a question that realistically the poster can answer for themselves.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:40 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,062,630 times
There are many good options in NW Indiana, the south suburbs east of I-57 and and the southwest suburbs. Moving to Naperville is insane if your job is out this way. I'd move to Kankakee County before Naperville, if I were you!

Allan's "favorite mall" is River Oaks which is practically in Indiana. Cheaper gas and cigarettes is like 5 minutes east of River Oaks. Trashing NW Indiana seems very counter-productive to me if you want to get people to move to the area right next it.

Last edited by urza216; 02-12-2012 at 08:00 PM..

Old 02-12-2012, 08:20 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
The thing that makes this a really bad commute is the "L-shaped" nature of just about any route that links Glenwood to Naperville. The E-W leg is going just SUCK, and while the N-S portion might not be too bad some days, when an accident hits or weather snarls the roads or the geniuses decide to resurface some portion of the roadway you are not going to have any way to escape a multi-hour nightmare...

If the job is SOLID in Glenwood I would really focus on like Homer Glen / Lemont /Mokena to move you both further east and further south -- that really shrinks the "L" into something that might be pretty tolerable...

Old 02-12-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
There are many good options in NW Indiana, the south suburbs east of I-57 and and the southwest suburbs. Moving to Naperville is insane if your job is out this way. I'd move to Kankakee County before Naperville, if I were you!

Allan's "favorite mall" is River Oaks which is practically in Indiana. Cheaper gas and cigarettes is like 5 minutes east of River Oaks. Trashing NW Indiana seems very counter-productive to me if you want to get people to move to the area right next it.
I personally would not trash northwest indiana. I happen to think indiana has some pretty swell places. But, I also do not think people living in the suburbs are nearly as transient as some posters make it sound. The suburbs are pretty boring places to live if you don't know anyone where you are moving to. Which is why I thought the OP was asking about a 2 hour commute in the first place. Not wanting to move from the western surburbs.

Naperville or northwest indiana is not like saying bucktown or hyde park in the city. City dwellers are far more transient in changing neighborhoods than suburbanites. And still moving from say wicker park to hyde park would be a big change as far as social scenes, proximity to friends, family, hangout places, etc.

I certainly don't think most people just pick up and hap hazardly move to another state an hour and a half away from where they where originally talking about moving to just because indiana is a little bit cheaper. Good luck trying to get your friends/family from naperville to drive out to indiana and hang out with you at your new house. If you move to a new state you might want to make some new friends first. That's all that I am saying.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:44 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
I believe the OP indicated in an earlier thread that are currently in MN. The are hoping to find some school offering an immersive program in Mandarin. That won't be easy...

From a relocation / higher than average of transfer families perspective and relatively decent number of Chinese I can sorta see how Naperville seems appealing, but I would caution, as I did above, that the drive could be absolutely HORRENDOUS ...

Old 02-12-2012, 08:51 PM

157 posts, read 403,013 times
I think a commute from Naperville to Glenwood would wear on you quickly. I'd either find a job closer to Naperville or move closer to your job. Orland Park, Tinley Park, Mokena and Frankfort would put you within 30 mins on a good day. Crete, Dyer, or Munster could put you within just 15 mins of work.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighthood82 View Post
I think a commute from Naperville to Glenwood would wear on you quickly. I'd either find a job closer to Naperville or move closer to your job. Orland Park, Tinley Park, Mokena and Frankfort would put you within 30 mins on a good day. Crete, Dyer, or Munster could put you within just 15 mins of work.
Flossmoor or Homewood would be 2-5 minutes from glenwood. But I don't think that is the issue. Many suburbanites go retarded with an over inflated and a better than reality sense of there own area. When in reality all these areas mentioned are like 90 percent similar. It really is more about where your friends and family live when it comes to what suburban region you find more desirable for yourself. Or else get used to a lot of nighttime expressway driving which sucks and can be really dangerous if it is snowing, you are tired, or have been drinking. You will have no problem finding very nice suburban areas on any side of chicago. Price is the biggest issue west or north of chicago as they have some of the most expensive suburbs in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs