Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 6,947 times

Advertisements

I recently accepted a job at the University of Chicago and need advice on where to look to buy a home. I don't mind up to a hour commute if the neighborhood is worth it (good schools, nice homes, low crime). We have one child and my husband would likely be working downtown. Any advice on areas to look at would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 11:22 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
A fairly large number of professors and health professionals that work at the UofC do live in Hyde Park / Kenwood. If they avail themselves of the excellent but costly UofC Lab Schools there is a fair bit of insularism that comes with the decision, but the commute cannout be beat, the distance to work in the Loop is very good and the whole range of ammenities that the campus has can be enjoyed.

Other popular options have included the near SW suburbs, like Flossmoor, as well the suburbs that have good / excellent schools that lie between I-55 (the Stevenson Eprwy) & I-290 (the Eisenhower). These would include La Grange, Western Springs, Hinsdale, Burr Ridge, Clarendon Hills and some others. The UofC operates Argonne National Lab for the DOE which is located in that area so that also is a factor.

Budget, housing preferences and other factors all should be considered. Living in the above suburbs is probably considerably less expensive than having a similar home in Hyde Park or Kenwood, especially factoring the costs of private school.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:13 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
A fairly large number of professors and health professionals that work at the UofC do live in Hyde Park / Kenwood. If they avail themselves of the excellent but costly UofC Lab Schools there is a fair bit of insularism that comes with the decision, but the commute cannout be beat, the distance to work in the Loop is very good and the whole range of ammenities that the campus has can be enjoyed.

Other popular options have included the near SW suburbs, like Flossmoor, as well the suburbs that have good / excellent schools that lie between I-55 (the Stevenson Eprwy) & I-290 (the Eisenhower). These would include La Grange, Western Springs, Hinsdale, Burr Ridge, Clarendon Hills and some others. The UofC operates Argonne National Lab for the DOE which is located in that area so that also is a factor.

Budget, housing preferences and other factors all should be considered. Living in the above suburbs is probably considerably less expensive than having a similar home in Hyde Park or Kenwood, especially factoring the costs of private school.
???

Flossmoor is right there on the Metra Electric line. In no way shape or form is it a south"west" suburb. And since when is Flossmoor a "near" suburb either? It's south of I-80..

But yeah, the Metra Electric train stops right there at U of C. Other suburban locations you can look into are Homewood, Olympia Fields, Matteson, Richton Park and Park Forest (there are parts of Park Forest that are walking distance to the Matteson station and parts that are walking distance to the Richton Park station).

The list of suburbs that Chet listed aren't actually popular options for commuting to Hyde Park. He just likes to plug them on this forum..

Last edited by urza216; 02-22-2012 at 05:21 PM..

Old 02-22-2012, 05:31 PM

73 posts, read 326,072 times
try suburbs that are closer to interstate 57 so you can get back to the Dan Ryan faster and shoot over garfield blvd. im thinking tinley park, orland park or frankfort. Very nice communities with nice newer homes. If anything, you dont have to entirely fix the place since 10-15 years ago those suburbs were still farms. The metra rock island is nearby these areas. dont quote me but i believe you could take metra rock island service to blue island then transfer to blue island electric service which will turn into the main metra electric line and you can get off at hyde park.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:34 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Urza:

You wanna fight about how argonne is run too?

Take your lousy attitude and dump on somebody else!

http://www.ipd.anl.gov/anl_org_chart/

I'll be sure to tell my neighbors and clients that are physicians and professors at UofC that you say they're nobodies...

Old 02-22-2012, 05:53 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Urza:

You wanna fight about how argonne is run too?

Take your lousy attitude and dump on somebody else!

Argonne Organization Chart

I'll be sure to tell my neighbors and clients that are physicians and professors at UofC that you say they're nobodies...
Are you upset about my recent posts about how Aurora, in spite of being trashed on this forum, is actually a more noteworthy city than Naperville or Wheaton? I know there are tons of doctors, lawyers and physicians and such who live out that way. This is why perfectly good towns like Bolingbrook and Aurora are bashed..

But anyway, that's neither here nor there. The OP isn't commuting to the Argonne National Lab. She is commuting to U of C in Hyde Park on the south side of Chicago. It would make sense to live south. If driving, the southwest suburbs close to I-57 make sense. Oak Forest is a good option. If taking public transportation, you wanna be straight south and near the Metra Electric line. Homewood and Flossmoor and have a lot of people who commute to Hyde Park..

Old 02-22-2012, 06:10 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainfan87 View Post
try suburbs that are closer to interstate 57 so you can get back to the Dan Ryan faster and shoot over garfield blvd. im thinking tinley park, orland park or frankfort. Very nice communities with nice newer homes. If anything, you dont have to entirely fix the place since 10-15 years ago those suburbs were still farms. The metra rock island is nearby these areas. dont quote me but i believe you could take metra rock island service to blue island then transfer to blue island electric service which will turn into the main metra electric line and you can get off at hyde park.
Close, but it's the Blue Island branch, not the main line. But it does take you to 59th St, or 57th, also a transfer point for the Main Line and South Chicago branch. The South Shore stops there as well.

Last edited by pvande55; 02-22-2012 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: Street number

Old 02-22-2012, 06:43 PM

829 posts, read 2,087,399 times
Homewood-Flossmoor is traditionally where most of the University of Chicago professors live in the suburbs. As far as Flossmoor being too racially diverse, Hyde Park isn't exactly lily white either. Academics tend to be of the more educated liberal mind frame. Flossmoor is basically the suburban version of Hyde Park. Highly educated and racially diverse demographic. One of the few higher income racially diverse suburbs in the entire chicagoland area.

Last edited by allen2323; 02-22-2012 at 06:58 PM..

Old 02-22-2012, 07:12 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Homewood-Flossmoor is traditionally where most of the University of Chicago professors live in the suburbs. As far as Flossmoor being too racially diverse, Hyde Park isn't exactly lily white either. Academics tend to be of the more educated liberal mind frame. Flossmoor is basically the suburban version of Hyde Park. Highly educated and racially diverse demographic. One of the few higher income racially diverse suburbs in the entire chicagoland area.
Yes, but that has nothing to do with hinsdale.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:17 PM

829 posts, read 2,087,399 times
That's for sure. I have no idea how Hinsdale even came up. Those two areas are on totally different ends of the spectrum in the chicagoland area. Hinsdale is a far western suburb and Flossmoor is a far south suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs