Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2012, 09:27 AM

4 posts, read 17,923 times

Advertisements

We are getting ready to move to the western suburbs. Our 7 year old son has aspergers.

Does anyone know how the following districts are with autistic children?

Elmhurst
La Grange
La Grange Park
Lombard
Glen Ellyn
Wheaton

I've also heard great things about Naperville district 203, so I suppose that could be a possibility. It would just be a longer commute for my husband.

Elmhurst is on the top of our list because we love the town. I just know nothing about the schools programs for autism.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 12:39 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Not sure if this will help, but it is based in Elmhurst

Elmhurst Aspergers Tutoring & Lessons

The Center for Speech and Language Disorders
speech/lang. Therapy, parent support group

CSLD

In LaGrange

The Achievement Centers, Inc.
A diagnostic and tutorial clinic providing psychoeducational evaluations, speech and language, occupational therapy, social assessments and programs for dyslexia, ADD/ADHD, autism, aspergers, regular ed, and gifted.

The Achievement Centers: Tutorial & Diagnostic Clinic, Tutoring Services, La Grange, Chicago, IL

In Naperville
Naperville Asperger's Parent Support/Adult Asperger's Group Support

Teen Support Group (I have a good friend who has met the facilitator of this group and loves him) His name is Brian King.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:44 PM

Thank you. I will save these links for future reference. Right now we are trying to learn more about the schools so we can decide where to move.

Thanks again.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:44 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,406 times
The LaGrange Area District of Special Education (LADSE) works in concert with the schools in its member districts on a variety of special needs. This would be the place to start for schools in LaGrange or LaGrange Park as special needs services (for kids who qualify) are coordinated through LADSE. I'm not sure about the services in the other towns you listed.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:25 PM

Thank you so much for the info.

I would really like to hear personal experience with the special education programs these districts offer. Anyone??

Old 03-10-2012, 08:49 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,406 times
The parents I know who have children receiving services through LADSE are very pleased. The professionals working with the kids are all masters or doctoral level professionals. You should contact the special education coordinator of each school/district to discuss the specifics of what services they have available for children with your child's diagnosis to get a better idea of what specific programs/services he might qualify for. Does he already have an IEP at his current school?

Old 03-10-2012, 02:47 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by souperhero View Post
We are getting ready to move to the western suburbs. Our 7 year old son has aspergers.

Does anyone know how the following districts are with autistic children?

Elmhurst
La Grange
La Grange Park
Lombard
Glen Ellyn
Wheaton

I've also heard great things about Naperville district 203, so I suppose that could be a possibility. It would just be a longer commute for my husband.

Elmhurst is on the top of our list because we love the town. I just know nothing about the schools programs for autism.

Thank you.
Since there is not much response here, I suggest looking into the forums on babycenter. While many of the moms there have younger children, there might be someone who can help you.

Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder - BabyCenter
/children_with_autism_spectrum_disorder

Chicago Suburban Moms - BabyCenter

Chicago Mommies - BabyCenter

Not very active, but may help
Chicago/Suburbs - BabyCenter

Chicago "Windy City" Parents - BabyCenter

Private, requires a reason for joining and an invite
BabyCenter

Old 03-11-2012, 04:08 PM

Thank you so much for the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs