Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 03:30 PM

11 posts, read 19,851 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm thinking about building a 2800+ sq. ft. home around the Plainfield area but I'm debating if it is still financially a smart thing to do considering how the real estate market has tanked in the suburbs of Chicago.

Lots are really cheap now (less than 20K) but what are your thoughts on the costs of building? Also is it worth the hassle? I was planning on being my own general contractor and sub-contracting out the framing, foundation etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 03:38 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
I wouldn't build it in Plainfield. That town is a foreclosure nightmare right now.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:48 PM

11 posts, read 19,851 times
well, i'm open to any where out west like west chicago, aurora, carol stream, batavia etc.

yeah but you are right about plainfield, when the market was going up there was no stopping the construction. now everything is at a standstill there. i just like the location since everything is close by.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:11 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
It seems silly now to build a home when you can get such good deals. If you want western suburbs there are many much nicer than those you mention like Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Naperville, Downers Grove, etc. You can pick up a good deal on a lovely home in one of these places and in the long run be better off than if you built a place in one of the burbs you mention. You can always upgrade or remodel and existing home to your liking over time.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:56 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
If the OP could give some details, like perhaps target price point and what there goals are (assume it would be a place to live becuase investment potential would be extremely limited...), it would make the taks of recommending a strategy far more successful. In truth the comments above about the general collapse of prices in the "boom" areas like Plainfield are accurate -- prices have receeded to such a low level that new construction does not make much sense.

I am also kinda curious about why the OP would state "I just like the location since everything is close by." when most of Plainfield is rather distant from any signficant employment centers and although Plainfield is no less convenient to chain type stores and resturants such as could be found in other car-centric areas it is quite different than the sorts of towns that have good "walk scores" and/or decent public transit options. Given the trends for gas prices I would factor those sorts of decisions into any site selection...

Old 03-14-2012, 11:42 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If the OP could give some details, like perhaps target price point and what there goals are (assume it would be a place to live becuase investment potential would be extremely limited...), it would make the taks of recommending a strategy far more successful. In truth the comments above about the general collapse of prices in the "boom" areas like Plainfield are accurate -- prices have receeded to such a low level that new construction does not make much sense.

I am also kinda curious about why the OP would state "I just like the location since everything is close by." when most of Plainfield is rather distant from any signficant employment centers and although Plainfield is no less convenient to chain type stores and resturants such as could be found in other car-centric areas it is quite different than the sorts of towns that have good "walk scores" and/or decent public transit options. Given the trends for gas prices I would factor those sorts of decisions into any site selection...
+1. If I were to be out that way, I'd choose an area that was walkable, as in walking distance to parks, restaurants, bars, groceries and, most important, public transit (i.e. the Metra). That, by definition, would mean an existing home versus building a new one on a cornfield that will probably not be well-served in these areas. I personally think those areas will be much slower to recover (if they recover at all).

Old 03-14-2012, 05:32 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Of course if you want to be in a specific neighborhood you might have to buy an existing home. Since the area you like has vacant lots, of course, you have a choice. I would seriously avoid being your own contractor unless you have experience in that area. You will have to deal with the Village, utilities, and of course all the subcontractors. Have the plans been sealed by a licensed architect? Don't forget all the fees to the Village, the Schools and other government units. And the numerous change orders with the contractors.

Last edited by pvande55; 03-14-2012 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 03-15-2012, 07:54 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Just did a drive down Rte 59 from Naperville to I-55. Between the established parts of Naperville and Plainfield I kept thinking about the old Wendy's commercial as I internally shouted "Where's the Trees?!" I joked that the GMO seed is terrifyingly robust, "It sprouted houses instead of beans and corn." With that landscape(or moonscape I as I call it), might as well live in suburban Dallas- the COL and economy are better and the surroundings are quite similar. And I "Pitied the Fool" who had to commute to downtown Chicago from there- strikes me as "Penny wise and Dollar foolish".

Old 03-18-2012, 08:40 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
When I go down there I always hum the song "paved paradise and they put up a parking lot'. Well maybe not paradise but it fits............

Old 03-24-2012, 10:49 PM

936 posts, read 2,202,667 times
I'm an appraiser who is extremely familiar with Plainfield. Why build when you can buy an existing house at less than its replacement cost? That's why builders are going out of business left and right. There are great deals all over. Just be sure you get in a subdivision that is already built out and has a healthy homeowner's association, if it has one.

Also, the lack of trees that is mentioned above is primarily due to the tornado that they had years ago. They removed a lot of trees that were damaged besides the ones that got uprooted from the cyclone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs