Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 12:09 AM

8 posts, read 17,575 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a position that would have me working onsite during the day at Ingalls Memorial Hospital several days a month. I'd be taking the Tri-State Tollway South, exiting at 159th Street and heading east to the hospital. I know Harvey has a higher crime rate and I'm trying to get a read on how safe the drive between the tollway and the hospital might be. Any input from those who know the area would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 06:29 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Will you be getting out of your car and standing on a street corner during your commute? If not, what exactly are you afraid is gonna happen?

Old 03-15-2012, 07:27 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
As far as commenting on your commute, it depends on WHERE you will commute FROM

Old 03-15-2012, 10:16 AM

That is the exit you are gonna want to take but Ingalls isn't directly on 159th. You will be fine driving down these busy roads to the hospital. Do you drive a Ferrari or something? Harvey's crime rate should mean very little to do on your commute to the hospital. Ingalls is a top-notche hospital with an excellent reputation (unlike South Suburban and Saint James). I know a guy who got shot and Ingalls fixed him right up!

Old 03-15-2012, 10:53 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
It is mostly true that unless you are stopping en route to work or not parking in a monitored facility the surroundings don't mean a whole lot but I do think that the mindset one needs to have is influenced by the local level of crime -- the various gas stations and such that do not have any mini-marts means that if you'd like a can of pop for the ride home and they can only shove cash through a bullett proof drawer means you might have to adjust your way of thinking...

Old 03-15-2012, 11:45 AM

When a gas station operates 24/7, it's common to operate behind bullet proof glass. Even in nicer areas, this is common. Although the demand for it is gonna be higher and the viewpoint of bullet proof glass as an absolute necessity is gonna be more common in Harvey.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:51 PM

8 posts, read 17,575 times
Thanks for yours and the other helpful responses, I appreciate the info on the unfamiliar leg of the route. I mapquested the facility and I see it's off of Wood. No Ferarri, just driving an older SUV. I've come across a lot of good info on the quality of care at Ingalls and it does have a very good reputation.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:01 PM

829 posts, read 2,087,102 times
I don't see anything to freak out about by just going to harvey. No more than driving through humboldt park on the westside of chicago or rogers park on the northside of chicago. Ingalls is in a far better general surrounding area than a lot of major hospital campuses located in other urban chicagoland neighborhoods. The streets around ingalls don't look very scary at all. Not saying that harvey doesn't have a lot of urban decay and blighted neighborhoods. But, I wouldn't give anyone a warning about just driving to ingalls hospital to work or to receive medical attention. As if the majority of people who live and work in chicagoland don't at least pass through a blighted urban area on a regular basis. If not you are living a pretty sheltered life.

The hospital campus is perfectly safe and patrolled by there own marked security cars. Also harvey PD patrols. When you get off the express way in or near markham on either 159th street or kedzie depending on which expressway you are taking. They have plenty of stores and gas stations. and they are completely fine to stop at pretty much any time of the day or night. Walgreens, food places, gas stations, etc. I don't hesitate to stop at the speedway on kedzie and 167th in markham if I need gas when getting on/off the expressway at any time of the night. There is nothing dangerous about stopping on that stretch of 159th either. And along 167th there is newer retail a bit away in country club hills that is completely safe to stop at or have a casual lunch. Walmart, applebees, sonic burger, gas stations, etc.

About 5 minutes from ingalls hospital in blue island is a restaurant with a bar called The Maple Tree Inn. Some of the best cajun creole food in the chicagoland area. And a really nice place with a lot of ambiance. I would highly reccomend it as you will not be disappointed for a nice lunch, a drink with appetizers after work at there bar, dinner or whatever. http://www.cltv.com/videobeta/7c6721b8-eec0-42bf-a988-371b31ee991d/Food/Chicago-s-Best-Pub-Grub-Maple-Tree-Inn (broken link)

As far as harvey businesses, just use common sense. I am sure the walgreens on wood street in harvey is fine to stop at and get a snack or whatever less than a couple of minutes from ingalls. But you might feel out of place at a local corner fast food place or corner store in certain parts of harvey. Or maybe not, depending on who you are and if you are used to being in urban areas.

Last edited by allen2323; 03-15-2012 at 07:29 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 11:06 PM

You can also look at shopping and dining areas on 159th in Oak Forest - right there on the other side of I-57.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:39 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
I guess the main issue is make sure you don't run out of gas or break down after getting off the tollway. While Harvey has a reputation of a place where gunshots are traded like shares on Wall Street, it's not quite that bad. I was there in December and had no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs