Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2012, 10:44 AM

44 posts, read 99,919 times

Advertisements

just moving to the area currently looking for what would be a good place to live. should i find a apartment in Itasca or is there something close i should be looking at? Do not have a car here so i would be traveling by train or bus

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 12:00 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Apartment in Itasca or Elk Grove the best. Alternately somewhere along the Milwaukee-West line. I don't know the exact location of your office but most employment is a mile or two walk from the Metra station.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:30 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
Will your work be walking distance from the train? If not, do they run a shuttle? I don't know how on earth anyone could live and work in the burbs without a car. I really think you're going to need a car, especially in winter.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:10 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
If you don't have a car now I assume you are accustomed to using the "shoeleather express" to get around.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:33 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn400 View Post
just moving to the area currently looking for what would be a good place to live. should i find a apartment in Itasca or is there something close i should be looking at? Do not have a car here so i would be traveling by train or bus

Several of my friends live in Roselle within walking distance of the Metra station there. It isn't the most hip area, but it's close to the many restaurants in Schaumburg and is a central suburb with good expressway access if/when you get a car.

Honestly though, I don't think I could really live in Itasca or any other nearby suburb without a car. The area just is not walkable the same way that the city or a more urban suburb (Oak Park and Evanston come to mind, though nowhere near your job) are. Having a car would make life A LOT easier out there.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:08 PM

935 posts, read 3,445,685 times
So first question: Is if your office is within walking distance to the train or does your office provide a shuttle to the local train station? If so, then you can live anywhere along the Metra Rail line that serves that station.

The Metra trains near Chicago all run from the outer burbs into the city, so you'll only have one train route you can live along. The CTA EL will not be an option since it does not come very close to Itasca.

Otherwise, you'll need to get the PACE bus routes and find one that gets you close to your office and then locate a place along connecting routes.

Use the trip planners to help you find bus routes and train maps. Keep in mind that suburban public transportation is less regular than city trains and typically run once an hour. You will usually have to work around certain windows and buses/trains on the weekends are even less frequent.

Trip Planner

Old 03-23-2012, 03:07 PM

18 posts, read 47,852 times
I asked the same question last year. Majority advised in getting a car. As they said, if your office is near the Metra that would really good. But if it is in the Pierce Rd area, then you may have to walk pretty far. I tried using the pace bus before but it doubles (or more) your travel time. If you have the time and patience, the pace bus will do. Buying groceries/shopping is another story unless you live close to shops to where you live.
Where exactly will you work?

Old 04-01-2012, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 5,138 times
Are there nice apartments near Itasca and Elk Grove?

Old 04-02-2012, 08:29 AM

935 posts, read 3,445,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie1881 View Post
Are there nice apartments near Itasca and Elk Grove?
That is a very broad question and depends on your definition of nice. I will tell you this, a 3 flat apartment is HUGE! I lived in one in Des Plaines when I first moved here in 1995. 1400 SF for $750/mo.

Now the neighborhoods that host 3 flats (Elk Grove and Des Plaines have them) tend to be butt ugly IMO, but you get plenty of space.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:36 PM

44 posts, read 99,919 times
I will be working on devon road in itasca so i will try and route the pace bus and see
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs