Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 07:36 AM

474 posts, read 2,538,935 times

Advertisements

Dear Friends:

Since I am a senior citizen and have lived in the Chicago land areas since 1941, I would like to make a suggestion for people migrating to Chicago. Of course in the Chicago land areas, Chicago is called the 'Hub' and the outlaying areas are called 'collar counties'. So rather than being specific or perhaps critical of a particular town, why not search nice areas to live in by the collar counties and a radius of so many miles from downtown Chicago? The absolute zero measuring point in reference to the suburbs, is located at State Street and Madison Street in downtown Chicago. From there, all RURAL area mailing addresses are so many miles from the zero point. For example, in Wheaton, IL, our RURAL addresses are about 26W_ _ _. Or 4N _ _ _ . This means 26 miles West of Chicago's zero point. Or four miles north of the zero point.
So to choose a 'safety zone' community, then consider community / township / county arcs out and away from Chicago. In that respect, much of the criminal aspects (as a reference to the city of Chicago) disappears at a radius of about 20 miiles out from Chicago. As one progresses further out on the arc - radius, then the criminal aspects get even lower. Currently, the 'Chicago Housing Frontier' is located at about the sixty mile arc - radius. That would be in the DeKalb/ Sycamore / Cortland, Illinois arc - radius.

Carter Glass,
Wheaton, IL &
Cortland, IL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 10:45 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,575 times
what is it you have against urban living?

Old 09-14-2007, 01:02 PM

Default Has Anyone Tried To Stab You In The Back?

When a teen ager, during circa 1953, our church young peoples group watched a parade near China Town of Chicago. While standing close to the curb watching that parade, a man tried to stab me in the back. At the last second, our 'supervisor' (a tough looking, muscular man) told him in strong terms to get out of there !
So that is my main reason that I stay clear of the Chicago areas.

Carter Glasss

Old 09-14-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOWELL_STREET View Post
When a teen ager, during circa 1953, our church young peoples group watched a parade near China Town of Chicago. While standing close to the curb watching that parade, a man tried to stab me in the back. At the last second, our 'supervisor' (a tough looking, muscular man) told him in strong terms to get out of there !
So that is my main reason that I stay clear of the Chicago areas.

Carter Glasss
because of an isolated incident over half a century ago, you refuse to go to the city, and you steer people away from it? chicago isnt even recognizable from 15 years ago, much less 50.

Last edited by via chicago; 09-14-2007 at 01:27 PM..

Old 09-14-2007, 01:53 PM

Smile Hello 'via Chicago'

Dear Friend:

From your comments, I basically agree with you except that Chicago has become worse over the years. Yes, I have not visited the city of Chicago in many years. However, a very good reason to stay clear of it is by watching all of the negative television news reports of Chicago murders, gang violence, drugs, etc. And that appears daily on Chicago television news. The station I usually watch is ABC channel 7 Chicago local news. And many of their news items are regarding Chicago's violence.
Now in contrast, when I visit my son in Cortland, Illinois, I also watch Rockford, Illinois local news on channels 13 & 39. In comparison to Chicago, there is much less violence in the Rockford area.
It only takes one incident to die and I don't want to encourage the odds against someone taking my life.
But the final analysis and choice is with an individual or family wanting to migrate to the Chicago area.
If you have read many of my threads, you will notice that I mix the good with the bad. However, not necessarily 'good' within the Chicago city limits. Chicago is a nice town to visit as a tourist. Only if you are careful and don't become lost in bad neighborhoods. Where is a bad neighborhood? Just south of the 'loop' along Michigan Avenue. Perhaps starting around 38th. street? That's only as a guess.
How many rapes have there been in recent years near the U of I Chicago campus? I lost count. Is not that also a popular neighborhood somewhat near the White Sox Base ball field? Where's the White Sox Park? As a guess, 35th. and Shields?
But Chicago is not a very good town to reside in. The suburbs offer a better 'safety zone' for residency- - where the chances of survival are much greater. In the final analysis, 'YOU' (our readers) visit the Chicago area and decide for yourself.

Carter Glass

Old 09-14-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
However, a very good reason to stay clear of it is by watching all of the negative television news reports of Chicago murders, gang violence, drugs, etc. And that appears daily on Chicago television news. The station I usually watch is ABC channel 7 Chicago local news. And many of their news items are regarding Chicago's violence.
ever hear of "if it bleeds, it leads"? are you really basing your perception of what day to day life is like in a city of 3 million based on the network evening news?

the REALITY is violent crime in chicago has been steadily decreasing the past 15 years. Between 1991, which was the peak year, and 2005, Chicago homicides fell by 52 percent and all gun crimes by 62 percent. Other violent crimes and major property crimes such as burglary and auto theft also fell by half. homicides are at a 36 year low. if you dont believe me, look it up yourself.

Last edited by via chicago; 09-14-2007 at 03:29 PM..

Old 09-14-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Where is a bad neighborhood? Just south of the 'loop' along Michigan Avenue. Perhaps starting around 38th. street? That's only as a guess.
what, you mean one of the hottest neighborhoods in the country?
cbs2chicago.com - Gentrifying South Loop Experiencing Huge Growth (broken link)
Medill News Service : Chicago - Empty nesters flocking to South Loop

Old 09-15-2007, 09:42 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times
Good grief, my dad was mugged at gunpoint in Chicago in the 70's more than once, has been inside the housing projects, worked on the south-side, all during the heyday of Chicago's decline (the 70's and 80's) and he still comes downtown and visits all the time, is amazed at the transformation (especially driving up Stony Island on the south-side ... seriously, there is a Starbucks at 71st and Stony Island, it is pretty nice too, I've stopped in before), and has even contemplated retiring to a condo in the city. I don't understand the paranoia, I just don't get it all all. I've been living in Chicago proper for many, many years and my experiences here do not, in any way, mirror the evening news.

Don't get me wrong, there are problems, someone was murdered on my street just a couple of months ago, but it was a situation where they both knew each other and were both known gang members. It is rare that a person is randomly murdered, usually these crimes happen between people who know each other.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:57 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times
My elderly mom was raised in the city,yet now,she will not leave DuPage county for any reason.She never misses the 5 o'clock news and she assumes one gets attacked as soon as you enter city limits.The city is wall to wall with gun battles,gangs,"black people who hate white people" and ''bums and hoodlums",and they are all out to get her .We have given up trying to convince her otherwise

Old 09-15-2007, 10:24 AM

Default It Only Takes One Incident To Die

Perhaps, my most important point is to reiterate the fact that it only takes one random incident to die. The criminal elements in Chicago know where the visitors are located and how to 'fleece' them.
I once worked with a very nice (and young) African - American. His name was Darren and I think(?) he said that he lived in the Wicker Park area. Darren once told me that when 'one' meets many African - American young fellows on the street, they just want 'you' to buy them a meal. I would not mind doing that providing such a Chicago fellow did not want to murder me after his dinner.
Incidentally, a similar situation happened in the Brown's Chicken restaurant murders a number of years ago. I believe it happened in Palatine, Illinois? Those convicted were not African - American but I believe they wer Hispanic?
All of the above thread responses are from 'seasoned' people familiar with Chicago. Ask yourself the question, that if you were just moving to the Chicago area, would you want to blunder around basically out of ignorance - - not knowing which area of Chicago is bad and which is good?
Such a scenario is similar to what new migrants to Chicago could face. From my viewpoint, that answer should be obvious to someone not familiar with the city of Chicago.
As a question for you seasoned veterans, where is Chicago's 'Buck Town' located and what is significant of its name? Honestly, I have no idea where it is located. Is this the neighborhood that 'Via Chicago' was talking about? 'Dunno'
In summary, what is the old adage? Something like, "Why invite trouble in the first place?"
From my lifetime experiences, I have these viewpoints about Chicago - City. I have a 'right' to my view points just like everyone else. I also suggest to our readers that before buying a home in a particular locale, visit the place in person rather than depending on the different viewpoints of everyone writing their opinions on this web site. After all, living there is 'your choice' and not mine since I have already chosen a very safe neighborhood (Wheaton, IL) many years ago.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs