Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 05:54 AM

60 posts, read 130,220 times

Advertisements

We recently moved to the area and really like the people we have met and the area in general. There is one thing that really threw us for a loop that was very unexpected. Almost half of the people we have met have asked what religion we are or what church we belong to. This is within a first or second meeting! It was a bit shocking since this has happened nowhere else in our experiences.

A little background on us - we have lived in NYC, Washington D.C., San Francisco and Philadelphia among many other places in the U.S.

Nowhere else had such a strong focus on religion in casual conversation. Is this the norm out here? If we don't belong to a certain church or temple, will that be the indicator of our social lives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 06:50 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
Wow - I am shocked! I thought that was a southern thing! I live in Elgin and nobody has ever asked me about my religious beliefs - even my very religious neighbors. What town do you live in, or where are you hearing that?

Old 04-11-2012, 06:54 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Wow - I am shocked! I thought that was a southern thing! I live in Elgin and nobody has ever asked me about my religious beliefs - even my very religious neighbors. What town do you live in, or where are you hearing that?
I agree with knitgirl. I have never heard of people around here asking about religion like that. Where do you live?

Old 04-11-2012, 08:54 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Life in small towns....I have come across this sort of behavior, too. It seems more socially motivated than anything to do with religious views. Sometimes it's people looking for recruits for specific church committees or fund raising events.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:59 AM

169 posts, read 550,301 times
Middle-aged mom, what would be the response if I said I was atheist? I can't remember the last time I was ever asked such a question. We are looking at various towns and guess I never thought about that aspect of a smaller town since we have only lived in bigger cities since I went to undergrad.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:17 PM

60 posts, read 130,220 times
I am glad to hear that two of you have not experienced this. I live in Evanston. NOT small and very progressive. That is why I was surprised. Also, is it possible that you were asked and just didn't notice? Many people are not as sensitive to this type of thing and it might not register when they hear it as something intrusive.
Thanks for the replies.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:24 PM

169 posts, read 550,301 times
I'm sensitive to it since I'm an atheist, so I know I've never been asked before.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:36 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacultyM View Post
I am glad to hear that two of you have not experienced this. I live in Evanston. NOT small and very progressive. That is why I was surprised. Also, is it possible that you were asked and just didn't notice? Many people are not as sensitive to this type of thing and it might not register when they hear it as something intrusive.
Thanks for the replies.
I'm a little surprised because I lived in Evanston for 3 years and was never asked what church or religion I belonged to. I'm also atheist, so that kind of question would also have stood out to me. Strange.

I probably would just say I was atheist (or don't belong to any religon) and forget about it. It isn't as though Evanston is some small town where every resident belongs to a specific religion. It's pretty diverse, so no one should be shocked by whatever answer you give.

I don't think I've ever had a neighbor or acquaintance ask me about religion early on in getting to know me, at least not so early on that it seemed strange.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:33 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,848,992 times
Hmmm, this was in the north suburbs? That is very odd; I didn't think they were too terribly concerned about one's religion as long as they drove the appropriate high end (preferably European) type of SUV.

Just kidding!

Old 04-11-2012, 01:41 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacultyM View Post
Thanks for the replies.
I am sensitive to it as well, because I find religion a joke. Though I go to Church with family due tradition and wanting to raise kids with it. The kids can determine on their own how they feel about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs