Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2012, 11:57 PM

15 posts, read 36,389 times

Advertisements

DH was recently transferred to O'hare & we will be moving up from TX. We are completely unfamiliar with the area, so please give major landmarks when making suggestions. We are looking to rent a minimum 2/1 (would prefer 2/2 or 3/2) E/SE of the airport as close to the el as possible. Rent in our area is very affordable & we expect sticker shock, but would like to stay under $1000/mo for a 2/2 or $1400/mo for a 3/2. If we could stay around $850, which is what we currently pay for a 2/2, that would be fabulous! We are open to apartments, town homes, & rental houses alike.

Thanks in advance for your advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 03:28 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Is your husband working AT O'Hare or nearby? Are schools important? What else do you need close by?

Old 04-12-2012, 04:19 PM

15 posts, read 36,389 times
Yes, my husband is a pilot & woul be flying out of O'hare - we are also hoping to use a 2nd (&/or 3rd) bedroom as a "crash pad" for other visiting pilots, which is why proximity to the el is so important. We are a very quiet couple with no children, but will be looking to start a family in the next year or so once we settle in. We prefer book stores & thrift shops to bars & clubs. Mostly we just want something cozy, quiet, & nice (but not extravagant) that can be made to feel homey.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:26 PM

5 posts, read 11,040 times
Default Hello

I don't want to sound like Debbie Downer but you are probably going to be hard pressed to find anything near O'Hare at your desired price range. I would be very surprised if you could find a house or townhome but possibly an apartment. Most of the area right around O'Hare is pretty commercial and industrial.

I used to live in an apartment complex called Linden Towers in a town called Bensenville. It is not east or southeast of O'Hare so it does not meet your requirements but might be worth your time to look it up. Bensenville is just west of OHARE, literally 5 minutes from the OHARE terminals and right next to Metra train line and Interstate I-294. You wouldn't need the L-train, it was only like a $10 cab ride. Mapquest it. Bensenville is pretty low key. Schools are not great but it sounds like you have time before you need to worry about schools. Linden Towers was clean, safe and reasonably priced. I paid $800/Mo for 1 bed, 1 bath but that was 6yrs ago.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:16 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
The rents within "crash pad" distance of O'Hare tend to be disproportionately high due to folks knowing that "sharing" is common. If you go just a little bit further (south of Irving Park Blvd) you will likely save a lot, but the trade off is that distance / travel options is a negative...

Old 04-13-2012, 04:32 AM

161 posts, read 211,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBJB070304 View Post
I don't want to sound like Debbie Downer but you are probably going to be hard pressed to find anything near O'Hare at your desired price range. I would be very surprised if you could find a house or townhome but possibly an apartment. Most of the area right around O'Hare is pretty commercial and industrial.

I used to live in an apartment complex called Linden Towers in a town called Bensenville. It is not east or southeast of O'Hare so it does not meet your requirements but might be worth your time to look it up. Bensenville is just west of OHARE, literally 5 minutes from the OHARE terminals and right next to Metra train line and Interstate I-294. You wouldn't need the L-train, it was only like a $10 cab ride. Mapquest it. Bensenville is pretty low key. Schools are not great but it sounds like you have time before you need to worry about schools. Linden Towers was clean, safe and reasonably priced. I paid $800/Mo for 1 bed, 1 bath but that was 6yrs ago.
Yeah, I would not want to live in Bensenville with kids. Without kids would be fine.

The Blue Line would be what you are looking for. The Rosemont to Harlem stops are what I would consider "close."

Possible places/cities being Rosemont and Chicago (Norwood Park and O'Hare). Still, like others said, finding a place may prove difficult.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:04 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
I would look in Des Plaines, Mt. Prospect, Arlington Heights or even Palatine near the Metra line. Even from Palatine, if you know the back roads when traveling during rush hour you can make it to O'Hare in 30-35 minutes. You can take Metra and transfer to the CTA Blue line in Jefferson Park or take Metra all the way downtown.
Of course your rent parameters may be an issue, things are more $ than Austin area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs