Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 05:37 PM

829 posts, read 2,087,399 times

Advertisements

What reputation is that? According to the most recent census, flossmoor is just over 50 percent black. I think the school district boundary as a whole is currently majority black. Especially when you look at the racial makeup of school aged kids living within the boundary. I don't see why a school being majority black should give it a bad reputation. I would consider that sort of thinking to be racist and not with the times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 05:45 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
What reputation is that? According to the most recent census, flossmoor is just over 50 percent black. I think the school district boundary as a whole is currently majority black. Especially when you look at the number of school aged kids living within the boundary. I don't see why a school being majority black should give it a bad reputation. I would consider that sort of thinking to be racist and not with the times.
Flossmoor is 53% white according to City Data. However, I'd very interested in the racial demographics broken down by each age group. Old people don't leave the house much, you know.

The reputation of being "ghetto", whatever ghetto means.. I personally think H-F is a better school than Marion Catholic. It's definitely a safer school (less cocaine). And H-F has separation of church and state. H-F gives your kids a quality education and doesn't brainwash them with mumbo jumbo.

Last edited by urza216; 04-22-2012 at 05:53 PM..

Old 04-22-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Flossmoor is 53% white according to City Data. However, I'd very interested in the racial demographics broken down by each age group. Old people don't leave the house much, you know.

The reputation of being "ghetto", whatever ghetto means.. I personally think H-F is a better school than Marion Catholic. It's definitely a safer school. And H-F has separation of church and state.

I was slightly mistaken about being over 50 percent. But yes, the black population quiet as kept is currently the largest racial demographic in flossmoor. Flossmoor as of 2010 is 47.8 percent black, 46.4 percent white (which also includes flossmoor's 3.2 percent hispanic population which is counted as white on the census), 2.5 percent asian, and 2.3 percent multiracial.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcrocks View Post
Do you see any of the bad neighborhoods impacting the Homewood-flossmoor area? i.e., harvey, chicago heights, ford city, etc?
Okay, a few things.

First of all, I don't mean to be rude but I wasn't expecting a question like this from a self-proclaimed "city girl". You said you were considering living Chicago? Well, you can can ask this same question about pretty much any neighborhood in Chicago - ESPECIALLY neighborhoods on the south side within a reasonable commute to GSO. This concern would be much greater there than Homewood or Flossmoor.

Second of all, why are you only asking this question about Homewood and Flossmoor? Oak Forest is less than ten minutes away from Harvey on 159th. Enough said.

Third of all, yes, Chicago Heights DOES affect Homewood and Flosssmoor! In both good ways and bad. Chicago Heights is a bunch of neighborhoods not just one "bad neighborhood". The Chicago Heights neighborhood adjacent to Flossmoor is quite nice, actually. Also, if you live in Homewood or Flossmoor, you might find yourself catching a movie in Chicago Heights, going to the DMV in Chicago Heights, going to the Social Security office in Chicago Heights, getting a late night snack in Chicago Heights, getting work done on your car in Chicago Heights.. but I guess you won't be taking any classes at Prairie State College in Chicago heights. Yes! The Heights is impacts Homewood and Flossmoor. Homewood and Flossmoor impacts Chicago Heights too. So what?

Fourth of all, Ford City is a mall on the southwest side of Chicago. The neighorhood immediately outside the mall doesn't even have a bad reputation (see: first of all). The mall itself is notorious for atracting a bad element. BUT why are you even talking about Ford City? It's really nowhere near Homewood or Flossmoor. It's a neighborhood in the city. Homewood and Flossmoor are south of I-80. The Roseland and West Pullman neighborhoods in the city are closer to Homewood. Ford City is closer to Oak Forest than Homewood-Flossmoor. Ford City is up the road on Cicero Avenue coming from Oak Forest. BUT it's still a good ways away from Oak Forest too..

Last of all, if you are afraid of people on the southwest side of Chicago (Ford City) negatively affecting your livelihood in Homewood-Flossmoor, maybe you should live further out than Monee...

Last edited by urza216; 04-22-2012 at 11:44 PM..

Old 04-22-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
I was slightly mistaken about being over 50 percent. But yes, the black population quiet as kept is currently the largest racial demographic in flossmoor. Flossmoor as of 2010 is 47.8 percent black, 46.4 percent white (which also includes flossmoor's 3.2 percent hispanic population which is counted as white on the census), 2.5 percent asian, and 2.3 percent multiracial.
Flossmoor is 0.6% Hispanic and 53% non-hispanic white. And Flossmoor is only 41% black.

Homewood is 7% Hispanic.

//www.city-data.com/city/Flossmoor-Illinois.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Homewood-Illinois.html

Non-Hispanic whites are still the majority in BOTH Homewood and Flossmoor. Ironic, huh?

Last edited by urza216; 04-22-2012 at 11:45 PM..

Old 04-23-2012, 08:25 AM

29 posts, read 65,579 times
Thanks, I think. The tone has changed here. Thanks though, to everyone who was helpful.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Flossmoor is 0.6% Hispanic and 53% non-hispanic white. And Flossmoor is only 41% black.

Homewood is 7% Hispanic.

//www.city-data.com/city/Flossmoor-Illinois.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Homewood-Illinois.html

Non-Hispanic whites are still the majority in BOTH Homewood and Flossmoor. Ironic, huh?

Those numbers are outdated and do not accurately reflect the current demographic of flossmoor. Although most people are not aware that flossmoor currently has more black residents than white residents. The 2010 census information can be found using the census.gov factfinder. American FactFinder . You can search using the term race and location flossmoor, il of course.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Those numbers are outdated and do not accurately reflect the current demographic of flossmoor. Although most people are not aware that flossmoor currently has more black residents than white residents. The 2010 census information can be found using the census.gov factfinder. American FactFinder . You can search using the term race and location flossmoor, il of course.
I searched Flossmoor, il and nothing came up..

"No race or ethnic groups were found that match the combination of items in 'Your Race and Ethnic Group Filters' and 'Your Selections'.

Try removing items from 'Your Race and Ethnic Group Filters' or from 'Your Selections' to continue searching."

"No tables, files or documents were found that match the combination of items in 'Your Selections'.

Try removing items from 'Your Selections', or click 'clear all selections' to start a new search."

Old 06-15-2012, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,819 times
Default Metra Parking in Flossmoor - Watch out!

Hi,
If you do move to Flossmoor and take the Metra, buy your parking pass a week in advance. Recently had a bad experience. After buying passes for 5 months straight without a hitch, a busy weekend resulted in my having to go into the police station at 6:35am monday to buy a pass for the south lot before catching my 7:00am train. I usually buy them across the hall at the desk during normal business hours. I was told the lot was full. With no suggestions offered to me, I just bought my pass for the remainder of the week. I have been a resident of the community for many years and have paid many thousands of dollars in taxes. There is a parking lot which stays empty most of the time, near the north end of the downtown area because Flossmoor does not have bustling downtown business. I parked way in the back of the empty lot, which my tax money has built and was appalled when I returned from downtown a few hours later to find my car ticketed. I went to the hearing to protest because I had tried to purchase a pass in the filled lot for the entire week! I had blocked nothing and that parking lot is empty most of the time. The judge was one of the coldest SOB's I've ever encountered. I showed him all of the parking passes I had paid for, and told him all of the thousands of dollars I've paid in taxes all the years I have been living here. He didn't care and it was like talking to a block of ice. I was treated like a common criminal instead of a long term tax paying citizen. There is no regard for the human factor in Flossmoor for its residents. You spend way too much in taxes and get no consideration in return. It was a big turnoff and we will be moving as soon as our youngest son finishes the fine Homewood Flossmoor high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs