Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 08:59 PM

15 posts, read 29,249 times

Advertisements

I am an architect and my wife is an interior designer, with a mid-century modern appreciation . We find that in general many of the suburbs are too cookie-cutter for us, until we came across Flossmoor, which has a great stock of mid-century homes. We have a very low home budget ($250,000) and thus were drawn to what Flossmoor has to offer. Any thoughts on the Flossmoor area, what are the advantages and what are the drawbacks would be incredibly helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,764 times
Their property taxes are enormous. But I love the place; I grew up there and have a little apartment downtown now.
People are generally friendly.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:34 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,292,443 times
I think Flossmoor is very nice. However, I do not live in the Chicago, but I do in Illinois. The real estate taxes are obnoxious because the majority of that tax supports schools. There have been rancorous posts in the past arguing that Flossmoor/Homewood is declining and will eventually not be a very good area.

Since this board is a virtual forum, not unlike other forums where liars lurk, I don't know if those predictions hold water or not. I would take the time to investigate the area. Oak Park is also a very architectural area with Frank Lloyd Wright and Prairie homes. You might find a treasure you can rehab.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:38 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,077,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I think Flossmoor is very nice. However, I do not live in the Chicago, but I do in Illinois. The real estate taxes are obnoxious because the majority of that tax supports schools. There have been rancorous posts in the past arguing that Flossmoor/Homewood is declining and will eventually not be a very good area.
Not just the great and glorious towns of Homewood and Flossmoor. There have been many posts about all of the south suburbs east of I-57 supposedly declining. These posts are just especially pecular for Homewood, Flossmoor and Olympia Fields because of the affluence in those towns.. If you want to say Park Forest is declining, that's one thing. But apparently the mansions in Flossmoor are becoming crappy places to live? What?

Old 05-10-2012, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 4,399 times
Drawbacks = taxes, but worth it if you have school-aged children

Advantages = too many to list, but I'll give you a few....family friendly, excellent park district, 30 minutes to the city, community involvement, many festivals, great library, metra station, charming downtown, beautiful trees, wonderful community parks, plus much much more

Old 05-11-2012, 05:28 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,452,690 times
There are mansions in many towns that no longer have enough viable residents to justify a large population of the well-to-do that built these homes generations ago. While the blight of Detroit (to name just the most graphic example) is unlikely to engulf Flossmoor any time soon neither do the conditions that seem to have made Brooklyn NY a hip haven seem likely to pop around the south suburbs.

That said if one's housing budget is modest you could find a rather attractive home in a suburb like Berwyn that is arguably more convenient to a broad range of employment options than Flossmoor, though the schools are arguably better at the high school level, with Morton W being signficantly less desirable than HF.

If you shop carefully I suspect you can find just as good a value in the Riverside-Brookfield district, and performance there is signficantly better. Superior Metra service along the BNSF would be a plus, the racial makeup of RB is quite different than either Morton West or H-F. Have no idea if that is part of your consideration...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs