Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 12:37 AM

161 posts, read 211,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
And yet the parking lot is always packed. I've spent so much money there and I know lots of other people have to. And yet the Best Buy on Halsted in Homewood isn't closing.. This serves a smaller clientelle, I'm pretty sure. And definitely a whiter clientele (not that white people don't shop at the Matteson Best Buy too). Some people don't even realize there's a Best Buy in Homewood since it's on Halsted and not in downtown Homewood. I know a ton of people who don't live too far from the Homewood Best Buy but the one in Matteson is their go-to store. Lincoln Highway is more heavily trafficked and larger retail area than Halsted in Homewood. And actually, I don't know of any other Best Buy that is closing down other than the one I go to and many other people I know go to. The Matteson one.

I call BS. In my opinion, this is a clear cut case of retail redlining. And I demand that Best Buy release their profit numbers to the public. Discuss.
I hope that all Best Buys close, they are horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 04:06 PM

300 posts, read 638,899 times
Default Use to go to that Best Buy

I use to go to that Best Buy quite alot, the once thriving area that use to be Lincoln Mall is just crap now. Everyone use to hang out at Lincoln Mall in the 90's and the early 2000's, now everyone goes to Orland Mall. Orland Best Buy is pretty good, It's also a Best Buy in Tinley Park right off I-80(Where Lane Bryant use to be).

Old 04-21-2012, 07:45 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
I went into one that was closing and was disappointed. Some items discounted 10%, some not at all. Music CDs already shipped out.in short, don't expect great "store closing" deals.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:08 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,064,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Revival View Post
I use to go to that Best Buy quite alot, the once thriving area that use to be Lincoln Mall is just crap now. Everyone use to hang out at Lincoln Mall in the 90's and the early 2000's, now everyone goes to Orland Mall. Orland Best Buy is pretty good, It's also a Best Buy in Tinley Park right off I-80(Where Lane Bryant use to be).
The Matteson Best Buy isn't in Lincoln Mall. Although it is near the Mall on Lincoln Highway. Lincoln Highway in Matteson is a relatively busy retail area.

Last edited by urza216; 04-22-2012 at 06:23 PM..

Old 04-23-2012, 09:15 PM

25 posts, read 86,044 times
The whole area is losing business. Businesses close, new ones open, and they close. If you're west of I-57, Tinley and Orland are not inconvenient. If you're east of I-57, you don't have all that much disposable income, unless you're in OF, Flossmoor, or Homewood. Of course, that's a blanket statement and not entirely accurate. But as a generalization it is not entirely inaccurate -- at least, if you compare to Tinley, Frankfort, Orland, Mokena, etc. So it makes sense to focuse your retail energies there.

I've been one of the cars in the Matteson parking lot several times, and many of those times I didn't buy anything (despite having very little willpower and loving toys). But the only difference I find between the Matteson and Homewood stores, for general shopping is this: Matteson is busier, so I go in, wait for a clerk (I can't use the word "salesperson" because they generally have no product knowledge), and if I ever get to talk to one, I often get dropped because they are rushing to other people. So then I leave without buying. Then I end up in Homewood (which is closer to my house anyway), and there I get some help and make a purchase.

I don't know the ins and outs of the individual stores, but I know I've found the Homewood one easier to do business at. Maybe it's a matter of local management, maybe it's a matter of having more window-shoppers in Matteson, maybe it's something else altogether. But to assume it's race-based is naive. A national corporation doesn't care if they take white people's money or black people's money. As long as the money is green.

And regarding product knowledge, that comes with price. Places who want salespeople with good knowledge pay on straight commission. Circuit used to do this. So did Sears. So you got knowledgeable people there. Then Best Buy started hiring clerks instead of salespeople, and paying them less. They drove prices down by lowering payroll, but this brought competition that caused Circuit and Sears to go to an hourly model and lower rates. Then all of a sudden, the clerks don't care if they sell or not, so they won't go to the trouble of keeping up on product knowledge.

So yeah, no product knowledge anywhere, and this is largely due to Best Buy's compensation program.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:25 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,490,590 times
It's pretty unfortunate that the Matteson location is closing. But as redlined as many of the south suburbs may have been, I highly doubt this was racially motivated. I mean...the DEERFIELD store is closing...and Deerfield is not only in an affluent area, it is also in an area that is over 85-90% White. The other closing locations are also in predominantly White middle/upper-middle class areas.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:52 PM

207 posts, read 707,378 times
It's not a big deal. Lots of stores have closed down in Matteson. The area is not that good of a business place. I wouldn't be even surprised if the Target & JCPenney close down.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:14 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,192 times
I guess if your east of 57 you may as well just by your clothes at Dollar General Store.

Maybe some household goods at Dollar Tree.!

Everytime I have been to JCP in Matteson its busy.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:34 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,064,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkSam View Post
It's not a big deal. Lots of stores have closed down in Matteson. The area is not that good of a business place. I wouldn't be even surprised if the Target & JCPenney close down.
Living in Chicago, you of course know all about shopping on 211th Street these days.

Best Buy closing is a big deal to people who live in the area. Trust me, a lot of people are upset about this.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:03 PM

829 posts, read 2,087,975 times
Best Buy is closing over 50 stores not just the one in matteson. Six of them are closing in the chicagoland area alone. It appears the Best Buy closed for legitimate reasons of increased competition and lack of profit. The company may in fact be headed towards bankruptcy. Race probably was not a factor as they are closing 5 other stores in the chicagoland area. Why the one in matteson closing is being harped on is beyond me. If you are nostalgic about best buy you can always go to the best buy in homewood which will remain open for now.

Overall the Matteson retail and restaurant landscape has improved in recent years not declined. The Best Buy closing is obviously a tough break. But just this month three new restaurants have opened in matteson. Five Guys, Bar Louie, And Chipotle. Which is good news because quality restaurants and entertainment is something that matteson really needs more of. And is something that I personally feel is lacking. The Bar Louie is great by the way and I watched a game up there and ate last week. There are plenty of concepts that will be very successful in matteson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs