Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:25 AM

4,111 posts, read 9,023,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Absolutely!

TJ Maxx and JoAnn Fabrics moved to Homewood.

Michaels and Old Navy moved to Tinley.

Best Buy opened new stores in Tinley and Homewood, and now they are closing the one in Matteson.

Pier One downgraded their Matteson store to a clearance center years ago, before finally closing entirely.

Kohl's never opened a store in Matteson, the only retail hub in Chicagland not to get one. Over the last decade, though, they've opened stores in Frankfort, Homewood and Tinley Park.

Then there's the mall, half empty and half demolished.

Yup, definitely a retail boomtown!
Not exactly. They had plans to expand Lincoln Mall but then they kinda just stopped and went home. It was supposedly because of the recession. That's not demolition you're seeing. It's development that was never finished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 08:32 AM

2,299 posts, read 6,157,471 times
Actually, the plans were for demolition of that wing and redevelopment, not expansion. Yes, the economy collapsed, but it doesn't substantially change my point. Maybe there will be an exciting new development when the economy recovers, but I'm skeptical.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:28 PM

Allen,

Orland is still the number one shopping and dining destination simply because it BY FAR has the most there. The main reason why people avoid it is because of the traffic. Unfortunately, there are a number of chains that set up shop in Orland and nowhere else south of Chi.

Prairie State,

I'm skeptical too. People don't really go to shopping malls much anymore - except for Christmas or birthday present shopping. Lincoln Mall prabobly isn't gonna become much more than what it is now..

Old 05-02-2012, 03:27 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,074,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Absolutely!

TJ Maxx and JoAnn Fabrics moved to Homewood.

Michaels and Old Navy moved to Tinley.

Best Buy opened new stores in Tinley and Homewood, and now they are closing the one in Matteson.

Pier One downgraded their Matteson store to a clearance center years ago, before finally closing entirely.

Kohl's never opened a store in Matteson, the only retail hub in Chicagland not to get one. Over the last decade, though, they've opened stores in Frankfort, Homewood and Tinley Park.

Then there's the mall, half empty and half demolished.

Yup, definitely a retail boomtown!
How can anyone fairly look at Matteson during the financial crisis.
Sure stores have closed or moved.

Stores have also opened. L.A.Fitness, Five Guys, JCP , Target

I get your point about the mall but Matteson seems to be in an odd position its not dead and its not booming.

The other observation is the large auto mall that has been reduced to two or three car lots.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:38 AM

Despite the economy, big box retailers leaving Matteson in large numbers for nearby towns isn't a sign of health. Target isn't exactly new, they relocated from down the street. JCP is a plus for the town, I am a bit mystified that they chose to move back there though. They do kind of fill the niche that Kohl's would have had, if they had ever opened a store in town. L.A. Fitness opened pre-recession, replacing a store that had sat vacant for, oh, between 10 and 15 years. The big news now is Chipotle and 5 Guys, which finally opened several years after first being proposed. It's nice to see new business, but it doesn't even make a dent in filling the hundreds of thousands of square feet of vacant big box retail space. I don't see how an economic recovery will help. What middle income retailer isn't already in Matteson, or hasn't left for Homewood or Tinley?

Old 05-02-2012, 08:11 AM

Well its not like I see Matteson becoming the next mecca of shopping and restaurants.

Obviously no one wants it to dwindle away into nothing.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:33 PM

Bar Louie opened up in Matteson a few weeks ago. I think Allen referenced it earlier. I've seen a few check in's and recommendations for it on Facebook too. The menu looks good and comparible to Hallsteens in Tinley. I haven't been there yet though.

A good bite to eat after midnight? If it's true then this is bigger news to me than Five Guys or Chipotle..

Old 05-03-2012, 08:43 PM

Did not know they were opening a bar louie in Matteson
Never been to that place but have seen them around.

Certainly will check it out when I am down in Matteson.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:43 PM

Now Sears in Matteson is closing down. ***? Yeah, the company is hurting for profits. But why the store in Matteson? Why is it ALWAYS the Matteson location? For the record, two of my black jeans as well as the shoes on my feet were bought at the Matteson Sears. So were a few Christmas presents I bought last year.

Tell me again Allen about how this a tough break that I shouldn't be upset about. Or even suggest that I'm picking on Matteson - when really it has more to do with this being my home. And tell the rest of the forum about how the shopping/dining area closest to where you and I live is actually quite thriving.

And no, there is no Sears in Homewood. Actually, there's not a whole lot on Halsted in Homewood. It's just that the stuff that is there does this thing called "not closing down and turning into an empty storefront".

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Why the one in matteson closing is being harped on is beyond me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Overall the Matteson retail and restaurant landscape has improved in recent years not declined. The Best Buy closing is obviously a tough break. But just this month three new restaurants have opened in matteson. Five Guys, Bar Louie, And Chipotle.

Last edited by linicx; 05-13-2012 at 06:43 PM..

Old 05-13-2012, 05:23 PM

No, not much on Halsted.

Target
Menards
Home Depot
Best Buy
Kohl's
JoAnn Fabrics
Jewel
Bed Bath & Beyond
Kmart
Office Max
Petco
Buffalo Wild Wings
Starbucks
Boston Market
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs