Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 10:38 PM

4,111 posts, read 9,011,481 times

Advertisements

And yet the parking lot is always packed. I've spent so much money there and I know lots of other people have to. And yet the Best Buy on Halsted in Homewood isn't closing.. This serves a smaller clientelle, I'm pretty sure. And definitely a whiter clientele (not that white people don't shop at the Matteson Best Buy too). Some people don't even realize there's a Best Buy in Homewood since it's on Halsted and not in downtown Homewood. I know a ton of people who don't live too far from the Homewood Best Buy but the one in Matteson is their go-to store. Lincoln Highway is more heavily trafficked and larger retail area than Halsted in Homewood. And actually, I don't know of any other Best Buy that is closing down other than the one I go to and many other people I know go to. The Matteson one.

I call BS. In my opinion, this is a clear cut case of retail redlining. And I demand that Best Buy release their profit numbers to the public. Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 11:43 PM

829 posts, read 2,076,350 times
Yes so sad. But there are six best buys in the chicagland area closing. Not just matteson. Not sure you can call it redlining when the company as a whole is on it's way out of business. Although as a whole Matteson and most of the south suburbs have experienced a lot of racial redlining from retailers. Just not in this case because Best Buy is closing it's doors across the country. The same way Border's Bookstore and blockbuster did it. I am sure you are going to hear about even more best buy's closing in the near future. Because the company is currently not earning a profit on what they are selling. They can only lose money for so long before going under. It has more to do with competitors selling the same thing for cheaper without all of the overhead that a best buy store has.

Last edited by allen2323; 04-16-2012 at 11:58 PM..

Old 04-16-2012, 11:45 PM

815 posts, read 2,983,086 times
Sorry, but a packed parking lot means,,,,,,,, nothing.........

People aren't buying there. If they were, it would be staying open. They aren't in a position to close a profitable store to keep one that isn't profitable. Homewood is making money and Matteson isn't. There are six Illinois stores that are closing so Matteson isn't the only one. West Dundee, Mundelein, Deerfield, Addison and one location in Chicago are also closing.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:23 AM

829 posts, read 2,076,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
Sorry, but a packed parking lot means,,,,,,,, nothing.........

People aren't buying there. If they were, it would be staying open. They aren't in a position to close a profitable store to keep one that isn't profitable. Homewood is making money and Matteson isn't. There are six Illinois stores that are closing so Matteson isn't the only one. West Dundee, Mundelein, Deerfield, Addison and one location in Chicago are also closing.
I am not so sure any of best buy's locations are making money at this point. They have just began to close stores. These probably won't be the only stores that best buy closes as the company as a whole is not making a profit. It's more of an attempt to shrink the amount of stores that they have in order to allow the rest of there stores to turn a profit. But that rarely works. People around matteson will more than likely just start buying more electronics at the new target across the street instead of driving further to another best buy.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:37 AM

815 posts, read 2,983,086 times
Plenty of their stores are profitable. Matteson and the other five aren't so. In order to save the ones that are, they need to go. I just hope they didn't wait too long to cut these losing stores. Because the one by my house is profitable. Just like the Borders that was near my house, it was profitable until the chain closed. But since they didn't close down losing stores fast enough the whole chain went down, including the one by my house.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Yes so sad. But there are six best buys in the chicagland area closing. Not just matteson. Not sure you can call it redlining when the company as a whole is on it's way out of business. Although as a whole Matteson and most of the south suburbs have experienced a lot of racial redlining from retailers. Just not in this case because Best Buy is closing it's doors across the country. The same way Border's Bookstore and blockbuster did it. I am sure you are going to hear about even more best buy's closing in the near future. Because the company is currently not earning a profit on what they are selling. They can only lose money for so long before going under. It has more to do with competitors selling the same thing for cheaper without all of the overhead that a best buy store has.

That doesn't make much sense.

Target's electronic department is vastly inferior to Best Buy store. To put bluntly, Target doesn't have s***. I've gone in and walked out after looking at their electronic section. If you are actually looking for something like a replacement cable or an adapter of some kind, don't even bother walking into Target 'cause they don't have it. If you are looking for speakers or something like that, you have no options at Target because the selection sucks. The only thing that's good about Target's electronic selection is good is the TVs. And I've spent a lot of money at Target too - just not in the electronic section. Also, Target employees aren't hired based on any kind of knowledge about electronics. They don't know the answer to your question any more than you do.

Radio Shack has some stuff but it's nothing compared to Best Buy. Radio Shack has little selection but at least you can get what you need. Tiger Direct and HH Greg has has some extremely high end items Best Buy doesn't have that I window shop. But they're definitely not "go to stores". When I was looking for a 5 disk CD changer, I went to Best Buy and found it - I would never bother looking ANYWHERE else. Best Buy is the best of the best as far as electronics is concerned. Yes, you can buy online but it's not like books or DVDs. It's not that much cheaper - if it's cheaper at all. And I'd rather have the Geek Squad warranty anyway.

I really don't understand. I just listed 3 companies that I would imagine going under way before Best Buy ever did..

Last edited by urza216; 04-17-2012 at 02:14 AM..

Old 04-17-2012, 05:23 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,066,481 times
HH Gregg has opened dozens of stores in Chicagoland and none in the South Burbs..

It appers its very difficult for the electronic, computer , tv stores to compete with on line retail.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
HH Gregg has opened dozens of stores in Chicagoland and none in the South Burbs..

It appers its very difficult for the electronic, computer , tv stores to compete with on line retail.
HH Greg is in Orland Park in the same strip mall as Barnes And Noble. Comp USA / Tiger Direct is also in Orland but nowhere else down here..

Old 04-17-2012, 08:38 AM

35 posts, read 108,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
That doesn't make much sense.

Target's electronic department is vastly inferior to Best Buy store. To put bluntly, Target doesn't have s***. I've gone in and walked out after looking at their electronic section. If you are actually looking for something like a replacement cable or an adapter of some kind, don't even bother walking into Target 'cause they don't have it. If you are looking for speakers or something like that, you have no options at Target because the selection sucks. The only thing that's good about Target's electronic selection is good is the TVs. And I've spent a lot of money at Target too - just not in the electronic section. Also, Target employees aren't hired based on any kind of knowledge about electronics. They don't know the answer to your question any more than you do.
...neither does a Best Buy employee in my experience.

I've only been to HH Gregg a few times, but the employees seem more knowledgeable. I agree with you regarding the selection available at Best Buy, but Best Buy's selection is inferior to the selection online. And I do believe that prices can be significantly cheaper online, even if you are an honest IL citizen and pay your sales tax .

The evolution of retail over the last decade or so is pretty interesting. First the big box stores put the mom 'n pop shops out of business, now the internet is putting the big box stores out of business. And this opens the door for the smaller, specialty shops that previously couldn't compete because they will always have something that online retail struggles to provide: service and knowledge.

I really do feel bad for those that are losing their jobs because of these closings, but I will not shed a tear over the loss of the stores themselves.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tireddad View Post
...neither does a Best Buy employee in my experience.
Really? What Best Buy stores do you have experience with? I hope these stores are closing down because the employees at the Matteson store are great. Always very helpful and great customer service. If one person doesn't have the answer, they can get someone over here who does.

Last edited by urza216; 04-17-2012 at 03:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs