Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 03:57 PM

28 posts, read 120,530 times

Advertisements

I heard Naperville plans to add more section 8 housing, something like 400 units do to federal tax dollar requirements? I wonder if this might change the snotty attitude!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 04:45 PM

8 posts, read 33,721 times
Section 8 in Naperville means subsidized housing---residents must meet the same credit requirements to rent as those who occupy market-rate apartments. I know because I worked for one of those communities. Their rent is based on their income. Also they are subjec to the same criminal background checks. That helps prevent some of the bad people from infesting the town, not to say a few bad apples aren't let in every so often.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:04 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 355express View Post
I heard Naperville plans to add more section 8 housing, something like 400 units do to federal tax dollar requirements? I wonder if this might change the snotty attitude!
That's a tiny sliver of population but we have quite a mix of kids that go to my kids school (many from apartments all the way up to what would basically be a mansion) and I think it's REALLY good for them. There is a fair bit of money in my suburb, similar to Naperville but a little patchier so I worry my kids will be spoiled etc. (Neighbors daughter drove a Benz to highschool)

I think a lot of people just grow up in a certain environment and never put two and two together as to what it costs and how other people live. Then one day they realize they'll never live like their parents did or that they knew they wouldn't but what that *meant* had not hit home or later proved to be something they decided wasn't for them.

To each their own.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:00 PM

5 posts, read 22,692 times
Question What about me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3Rats View Post
I agree, I would not limit yourself to just Naperville. I lived there for a bit and you can find everything Naperville has to offer without the high prices, huge taxes and the over crowding! It is sooooo congested! Wheaton, Lombard, Glen Ellyn all great areas!! I personally live in Lombard and love it!!!!!

How about New Hampshire couple that will have to live for a year somewhere in subburbs of Ohare airport coomute?

Old 10-12-2007, 03:26 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,541,531 times
On the subject of Naperville, I had always wondered what all the hype was about with Naperville. (I had never been to downtown Naperville, just the typical suburban looking areas.) Lots of shopping, big box stores, subdivisions, and excellent schools, from what I hear. I always heard how Naperville always won the best place to live/raise kids, etc. While it is a nice suburb, it always seemed to me like there were a lot of other burbs just like it. Last weekend I visited downtown Naperville for the first time, and I now think this is what sets Naperville apart from other burbs with similar amenities. Downtown Naperville was pretty cool, it reminded me of a mini Lincoln Park in the middle of suburbia. Cute shops, bars, and many restaurants I missed from my years of living in the city after college (Rosebud, Heaven on Seven, even a Jilly's) I was impressed. Now I'm sold. Naperville is pretty cool. ;-)

Old 10-12-2007, 04:09 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Joliet View Post
Section 8 in Naperville means subsidized housing---residents must meet the same credit requirements to rent as those who occupy market-rate apartments. I know because I worked for one of those communities. Their rent is based on their income. Also they are subjec to the same criminal background checks. That helps prevent some of the bad people from infesting the town, not to say a few bad apples aren't let in every so often.
Uh, you assume that all landlords do a credit and criminal background checks. Not always the case. Most communities find that their landlords are so desperate for tenants that they take whoever breezes in the door. A guaranteed income stream from our great bearded uncle is mighty tempting to some -- until the tenants start pounding nails in the oak cabinets over the stove to dry their laundry. A credit and criminal BG check would rule out most Section 8 candidates unless you had really, really low standards anyway.

As to whether it's good to mix 'em in, some Naperville residents could definitely use a dose of diversity. Unfortunately, I don't think this will lead to two comically different cultures sitting down a breaking bread with each other. At best, you're going to have a whole lot of misunderstandings and culture clashes. Their mores and customs are completely different. It would be morbidly interesting to watch, I'll freely admit, but I don't know if it would benefit either group truthfully.

And this discussions assumes it's true. I'm not aware of any requirement that a community have X number of Section 8 vouchers. And absent some other subsidy, Naperville's rents would be too expensive for the Section 8 structure anyway. Vouchers are only good for "Fair Market Rent" which is based on Cook, DuPage, Kane, Kendall, Lake, McHenry, and Will counties on the whole. The holder pays 30% of his income to HUD and gets a voucher which ranges from $700 for a studio up to $1,250 for a 3 bedroom. Haven't studied NV's rents but I'd guess it's more than $1,250 for a 3 bedroom. The voucher holder can move into a place more expensive but he/she has pay the difference. Is the Village going to add another subsidy on top of the voucher for the "privilege" of having them in the community? Doubtful.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:53 AM

108 posts, read 399,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
On the subject of Naperville, I had always wondered what all the hype was about with Naperville. (I had never been to downtown Naperville, just the typical suburban looking areas.) Lots of shopping, big box stores, subdivisions, and excellent schools, from what I hear. I always heard how Naperville always won the best place to live/raise kids, etc. While it is a nice suburb, it always seemed to me like there were a lot of other burbs just like it. Last weekend I visited downtown Naperville for the first time, and I now think this is what sets Naperville apart from other burbs with similar amenities. Downtown Naperville was pretty cool, it reminded me of a mini Lincoln Park in the middle of suburbia. Cute shops, bars, and many restaurants I missed from my years of living in the city after college (Rosebud, Heaven on Seven, even a Jilly's) I was impressed. Now I'm sold. Naperville is pretty cool. ;-)
yes! I love what I just read! Thanks!

Old 10-21-2007, 09:05 AM

109 posts, read 261,837 times
This is a picture of the Naperville projects: Naperville, IL : Naperville housing photo

Old 10-22-2007, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 7,278 times
Smile advice

my husbands job has took him to Naperville and we are considering relocating there from Indianapolis,IN. Any advice. Are jobs easy to get for people who dont have a college degree? im intersted in meeting with someone who has lived there for a while who would be willing to give me some advice on different things. I will be visiting there Thur. Oct.25- Sun. 28. Anybody interested inmeeting with me and giving me advice please call me at 317-442-8709. kimberly

Old 10-22-2007, 04:18 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dguzman View Post
my husbands job has took him to Naperville and we are considering relocating there from Indianapolis,IN. Any advice. Are jobs easy to get for people who dont have a college degree? im intersted in meeting with someone who has lived there for a while who would be willing to give me some advice on different things. I will be visiting there Thur. Oct.25- Sun. 28. Anybody interested inmeeting with me and giving me advice please call me at 317-442-8709. kimberly
Im not available that weekend, but I can sure give you pointers. Naperville is a great city, Im sure youll love it (if you can handle the rush hour traffic).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs