Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 06:51 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times

Advertisements

I will be happy to "correct you" because you are wrong on several levels. Firstly there is no such "Rt 59 boundary". There are significant portions of Naperville, which is served by Lake Michigan water, having LOTS of businesses and residential developments WEST of 59 that are part of their water delivery system -- https://www.naperville.il.us/globala...boundaries.pdf

Secondly Warrenville is NOT part of the DuPage Water Commission member communities -- Member Communities | DuPAGE WATER COMMISSION instead Warrenville relies on a system of municipal wells that tap the underground aquifer to feed its water system: Warrenville, IL - Official Website - Water The quality of that water is generally excellent and any discoloration is largely do to changes in the levels of dissolved naturally occurring minerals.

There is not much to debate about "switching" as the municipalities know the costs associated with buying treated water from the DuPage Water Commission via the City of Chicago that operates the network of intake cribs that supply DuPage, and if the costs of operating municipal wells is lower that is what motivated the municipalities to join.
Towns like Western Springs have a long history of high quality municipal water supplier from aquifers -- the impressive water town in its core is part of that legacy - https://www.wsprings.com/423/Water-Department Folks have thrived on water from underground sources for centuries. Some folks freak out when dissolved minerals affect the color, taste, or smell of the water but ALL municipalities monitor these things and take steps to assure that there are NO safety issues.

The "Erin Brockovich" situation was one of INDUSTRIAL POLLUTION and that sort of thing has NEVER impacted the sorts of municipal wells that serve any part of DuPage. The only thing that is even remotely similar involved an industrial cleaning solution that leaked out and contaminated private well near the Lockformer plant in unincorporated DuPage west of Downers Grove / east of Lisle-- that situation was resolved by hooking up impacted home to the municipal supplies.

There are NO health concerns about water that is discolored due to passing through iron mineral deposits. In fact IRON is a necessary nutrient and folks BENEFIT from its consumption, Minnesota literally has mineral soils that are mined for iron and even there they honestly pose NO RISK -- Iron in Well Water - EH: Minnesota Department of Health

Should the OP or anyone else be concerned about the cleaning needed in plumbing fixtures that are exposed to high amount of iron it is cheap and easy to buy a water softener with iron removal capabilities -- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LYGBWM...4LYGBWM5070528

Last edited by chet everett; 07-11-2017 at 08:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 07:42 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurofamily View Post
I just moved to Warrenville a month ago and the water does change from yellow to brown, I didn't notice at first I thought the tub just needed a good cleaning but I went to take a bath one day and understood why the tub was so hard to clean. The water also tastes like iron sometimes. I'm wondering if there is an Erin Brocovich situation going on. I'm looking into it. I don't know much about well water
As Chet mentioned, you need water treatment for well water. The well water here typically contains a lot of Iron and other minerals. It's not necessarily bad for you to drink, but it will turn everything a brownish/orange. Hard water also prevents soap from lathering. If you don't want to buy the equipment you can also rent.

I'd also recommend a reverse osmosis filter that supplies water to a special spigot near your kitchen sink and also feeds the fridge for drinking water/ice.

www.softwatercity.com

Old 07-11-2017, 09:02 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
The water thing would be a significant issue. I'd never buy in Warrenville...so much easier and better to just live in Wheaton. JMHO.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:20 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,095,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
And it's home to the best pizza around, Al's pizza at the Town Tap.
No Swearing Allowed in Als lol always find that funny for a bar to have a no swearing sign. Super greasy but super delicious.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:52 AM

197 posts, read 235,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
The water thing would be a significant issue. I'd never buy in Warrenville...so much easier and better to just live in Wheaton. JMHO.
Wheaton is far more expensive though, so it's a trade off.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:06 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
No Swearing Allowed in Als lol always find that funny for a bar to have a no swearing sign. Super greasy but super delicious.
I'll have to stop in and check out Al's.

Also, Two Brothers is in Warrenville. Two Brothers Artisan Brewing The Tap House

Old 07-16-2017, 08:24 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurofamily View Post
I just moved to Warrenville a month ago and the water does change from yellow to brown, I didn't notice at first I thought the tub just needed a good cleaning but I went to take a bath one day and understood why the tub was so hard to clean. The water also tastes like iron sometimes. I'm wondering if there is an Erin Brocovich situation going on. I'm looking into it. I don't know much about well water
Re: the water. All you have to do is say, "Hey Culligan Man!" and they can install equipment to filter out the dissolved iron, etc. It's usually not a health issue, just a nuisance.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:24 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
And it's home to the best pizza around, Al's pizza at the Town Tap.
for Al's.

Warrenville downtown area feels like a sleepy small town, but you have the business area over by Diehl Road which includes a multiplex cinema, a number of restaurants on both sides of Diehl, and Main Event next to the cinema (mostly bowling and laser tag, I think). It's one of my favorite small Western suburbs. You might also look at Winfield, a few miles north of Warrenville if you're open to alternatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs