Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2012, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 742 times

Advertisements

We recently moved to the unincorporated area of Morris to be close to my husband's parents who moved here a few years back, and although I really love our neighborhood (nice homes, friendly neighbors, great little community), I am a little apprehensive about buying a home and setting down roots here given the small rural school that serves our particular neighborhood. Nettle Creek Elementary is actually a great school and many people have moved to the area just for the school, but it serves K - 8 and doesn't even have 100 students. The average class size is less than 10 students. I would much rather have a smaller classroom than an overcrowded class, but I'm afraid my kids will miss out on diversity with such a small school. Again, the school actually has a great reputation among the parents who can't say enough good things about it, greatschools.org rates it a 10, but it's just so small. Does anyone have any experience with a smaller school? Morris proper has two large elementary schools, but performance is not nearly as good as Nettle Creek. I would rather have my kids go to the smaller better performing school than the larger underperforming schools, but what are some of the things my kids might miss out on at such a small school? Any input or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 08:24 PM

179 posts, read 484,933 times
There are going to be trade-offs attending a smaller school. I grew-up in a small town, small school. Graduated into a much larger high school. All worked-out well and I soon acclimated myself. Kids are pretty resilient. That said, your kids will most likely participate and take advantage of many of the area's larger offerings in park districts, sports programs, etc. That is where you can make sure they are surrounded by more diversity and different experiences. Sounds like a situation where they have the best of both worlds to me. I know I certainly grew up enjoying it ...
Best of luck to you and your family!

Old 05-07-2012, 09:07 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,178,864 times
I live in a small rural town between two schools. I don't see that these kids miss out on much except being 50 miles from a large town. Outside of school activies they can find history, culture and a flyway, or they can hunt, fish, boat, sail, camp, skeet, golf, bowl, swim, Scouts, church, FFA, T-ball, summer bowling and baseball leagues, drag racing, and they can work. Zoo, waterparks, malls, sports stores, museums, planetarium, Broadway shows, upscale dining and hordes of traffic are nearby. There is also a ton of family events all summer in nearby communities. Outside of instant gratification I don't see where they are being deprived of diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs