U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2012, 03:51 PM

11 posts, read 34,199 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are an interracial family looking to move to the north shore. Unfortunately, Evanston is not an option. We are considering Glenview, north field, highland park and lake villa. Does anyone happen to know if any of else areas are diverse? We have 4 young children as well so good schools are important to us.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 04:19 PM

28,461 posts, read 76,209,993 times
First off Lake Villa is NOT NorthShore, it struck me like the "one of these towns does not belong" game set to the Sesame Street song...

On paper / pure numbers Highwood has the largest percentages of "non majority" residents but I would not put too stock in that as the numbers of apartement complexes that serve as unofficial off base housing for Great Lakes Naval tend to skew things and frankly even families of senior CPOs trainiing recruits are probably so far away from the mainstrain as to invalidate that as criteria of where a family with four kids might fit in...

OTOH maybe you and the kids would benefit from having the better shools and such.

I would not try to make the call based on people"that look like me" so much as which town can we make a home in where folks think like we do...

Old 05-04-2012, 04:55 PM

11,544 posts, read 27,448,603 times
Where do you work? How long do you want to drive to work?

Practically speaking Oak Park was the first truly racially diverse suburb in Chicago. It has an good school system up to High School which is sketchy; parking is its biggest problem. Arlington Heights is also diverse according to it's city website. It too has a reputation for a good school system. Unfortunately neither are in your desired locations. Demographically Highland Park is an upscale community with an older (over 50), majority white population of over 90% and 1.3% two or more races. .

City-Data lists the demographics of most every city in Illinois here:
//www.city-data.com/city/Illinois.html.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:10 PM

2,684 posts, read 3,735,436 times
Yeah, I think it is a little disappointing to ask about diversity (at least racial/socio-economic) when you talk about the North Shore. Evanston would have been the only one I would have recommended.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:16 PM

3,286 posts, read 5,173,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Yeah, I think it is a little disappointing to ask about diversity (at least racial/socio-economic) when you talk about the North Shore. Evanston would have been the only one I would have recommended.
I agree, when I saw the title of this thread I immediately though of Evanston. Why isn't Evanston an option?

Like Chet said, Lake Villa is definitely not north shore. It probably is the most diverse of the towns you listed though.

Personally, I would look for a town that "feels" right to you instead of a town with a certain racial/socioeconomic demographic mix (if that's even what you meant by diverse, I'm just giving an example).

Old 05-04-2012, 06:43 PM

2,684 posts, read 3,735,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post

Personally, I would look for a town that "feels" right to you instead of a town with a certain racial/socioeconomic demographic mix (if that's even what you meant by diverse, I'm just giving an example).

I think it's kind of funny when people post things like this. Just curious - are you and Chet white?

When you drive through a town.... what, do you get a secret "vibe" that tells you that people are open minded and accepting of diverse racial/cultural backgrounds? I think that's pretty clear that is what the OP wants. Then you guys have a 6th sense that I don't have. So what can you do....? LOOK with your eyes at what you see. If you don't see any skin color but white, no inter-racial couples holding hands, it says a lot.

Why is that so hard to understand.....

Old 05-05-2012, 08:38 AM

123 posts, read 233,271 times
With Evanston excluded, Glenview would be the most diverse on your list, relatively speaking. I live there and we have plenty of interracial families at our school. However, it really will depend on what you perceive as diverse and your own comfort level. I would not consider Northfield as overly diverse, but it is a really nice suburb that you may like. Highland Park has a small Hispanic section, but the overall feel to me is not of the most diverse. I have never been to Lake Villa and don't really know exactly where that is Lake County maybe, so I cannot give my opinion for that.
Evanston is the only truly diversive suburb to the North and it is my favorite suburb of all, but I did not live there as it did not offer much for my price range. I could not justify getting so much less house for my money. However, I would move there in a heartbeat for the right situation and I am sure that I will live there eventually.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:00 PM

11 posts, read 34,199 times
Hi,

Thank you so much for your replies. I think I meant lake bluff not lake villa. We are currently in oak park and are moving because of we have not been happy with the spec Ed services here, to say the least.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:40 PM

5,870 posts, read 11,513,319 times
Skokie is easily the most diverse suburbs on the north shore. In some ways more so than Evanston. Skokie in general is very nice and very diverse.

I grew up in the Arlington Hts area. I know Linix mentioned it. Its not North Shore and it really isn't diverse. It might as well be called "Arlington Whites"

Old 05-06-2012, 07:01 AM

6,360 posts, read 7,363,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Skokie is easily the most diverse suburbs on the north shore. In some ways more so than Evanston. Skokie in general is very nice and very diverse.

I grew up in the Arlington Hts area. I know Linix mentioned it. Its not North Shore and it really isn't diverse. It might as well be called "Arlington Whites"
I agree. Not only is Skokie diverse by North Shore standards; it is diverse by standards for any community.

Evanston on the North Shore is often compared to Oak Park in the west suburbs with so much overlap: first suburbs north and west of the city, transition communities between city and suburbs, old conservative towns that grew into liberal bastions, similar downtowns (even had virtually the same Marshall Field stores), similar housing stock, same type of CTA/Metra transportation....and diverse.

Of course, there are major differences: Evanston has NU and a lakefront. Oak Park has FLW architecture. Evanston has better surroundings (both in next door Chicago and in surrounding suburbs).

as for the diversity, I agree that Oak Park is more diverse than Evanston. Look at the African American communities in both places:

Evanston had a black community at a time when Oak Park was lily white. But black Evanston was and to a degree still is a segregated place. It grew up on the west side of the city to serve as a home for domestics working on the North Shore, a deep rooted community.

Oak Park, on the other hand, stayed white well past WWII. when Chicago's black belt was moving westward into Austin, the Chicago neighborhood next door to Oak Park, the village did what they could to maintain that very whiteness. the main way it did so was to make all residential side streets that run into Austin Blvd, the Chgo/OP divide, into cul-de-sacs.....as if that would change reality.

then the village got smart. seeing it couldn't prevent integration, it embraced it. Its real estate plan was simple and effective: steer white families into the far eastern portion of Oak Park to create an integrated wall to prevent these areas from experiencing total racial turnover, while steering black families into the western portions of the village, those areas removed from the so called battleground.

Point is, Oak Park was about true integration; Evanston's integration came in the form of mere proximity and wasn't integration at all. It appears to be integration, I think, because Evanston's liberal reputation would support such a belief, a belief that falls short of reality.

Evanston, of course, is the most diverse North Shore community (if you consider North Shore to be the eight suburbs running along the lakefront from Evanston to Lake Bluff. In general, the larger North Shore suburbs (Evanston, Wilmette, Highland Park) outstrip the smaller ones (Kenilworth, Winnetka, Glencoe, Lake Forest, Lake Bluff) in diversity.The only non-North Shore town on the North Shore (it is surrounded by it, but not a part of it) is Highwood, once heavily Italian, today heaving hispanic. Highwood kids go to HP schools (both elementary and HPHS), so the two towns are very intertwined. This gives Highland Park a Hispanic presence that exceeds the sheer numbers of hispanics living in town. if you think a Jewish/Mexican mix is diverse, HPHS would serve the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs