Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:36 AM

53 posts, read 108,407 times

Advertisements

We moved to the Chicago area back in October and we still can't figure out where to buy a house!! We have 3 small kids ages 5, 3 and 18 mos., so schools are important, but commuting is not since we both work from home. We were originally focused on Hinsdale because we love the charm and quaintness, but we decided our budget, even after increasing it, wouldn't get us what we wanted there. We would like a 4BR with at least 3,000 sf and a yard, preferably .25 acre or more. Is there a more suburban Hinsdale out there? I realize once you get into bigger lots you kind of lose the walkable downtown, but is there a happy medium out there? We recently looked at Glen Ellyn and liked all the trees and topography, but again you are kind of paying a premium for access to the city, which we do not need. We have yet to look at Barrington, but that is next on our list. Where else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 08:43 AM

439 posts, read 954,406 times
Woodstock? Far from the city but a nice town and you should get a lot for your money out there.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:34 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
What do you mean more suburban than Hinsdale?

Old 05-01-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
What do you mean more suburban than Hinsdale?
OK, maybe "suburban" is not the best way to describe it, but I guess I mean a little less dense with more cul-de-sacs. We love Hinsdale, but where do little kids (ages 3 and 5) go to ride their bikes for instance? I guess at the park, but I would be a nervous wreck with all the cars just getting to a park to ride a bike. Where we live now there are cul-de-sacs and although I ALWAYS watch my kids riding their bikes, I'm not in constant fear of a car zipping along or someone pulling out of their driveway as I would be in Hinsdale. I'm also not looking for a Naperville, but maybe a cross between a Naperville (with it's planned communities and more space) and a Hinsdale (smaller and quainter). The other problem is we want good schools and some of the far flung areas are lacking in the school department. I guess my problem is I like the older, more quaint neighborhoods, but since they were built a long time ago, there aren't the cul-de-sacs that you find in newer neighborhoods. I've also thought about the "less desirable" neighborhoods on Hinsdale (south of 55th) as an option.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:33 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
A very large percent of public high schools in Illinois are on the state watch list for failure to meet state and federal education standards. Private and religious schools are not included on this list.

The cul-de-sac has been in Illinois towns for generations, but it has fallen out of favor in recent years. My sister-in-lives on a cul-de-sac in a house built in 1960.

If you work from home, and, if going into the city every week is not an issue, you can live anywhere. Princeton, for instance, is a county seat about two hours west of Chicago. It has a very good school system, hospital, large park, mature trees, lower COL, lower taxes, and your older/better neighborhoods. It has always been a nice community (with good reps) to raise kids. The downside is if you shop TJ's and Costco you go into the city.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:55 PM

655 posts, read 1,128,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krispro6 View Post
OK, maybe "suburban" is not the best way to describe it, but I guess I mean a little less dense with more cul-de-sacs. We love Hinsdale, but where do little kids (ages 3 and 5) go to ride their bikes for instance? I guess at the park, but I would be a nervous wreck with all the cars just getting to a park to ride a bike. Where we live now there are cul-de-sacs and although I ALWAYS watch my kids riding their bikes, I'm not in constant fear of a car zipping along or someone pulling out of their driveway as I would be in Hinsdale. I'm also not looking for a Naperville, but maybe a cross between a Naperville (with it's planned communities and more space) and a Hinsdale (smaller and quainter). The other problem is we want good schools and some of the far flung areas are lacking in the school department. I guess my problem is I like the older, more quaint neighborhoods, but since they were built a long time ago, there aren't the cul-de-sacs that you find in newer neighborhoods. I've also thought about the "less desirable" neighborhoods on Hinsdale (south of 55th) as an option.
There are parts of Burr Ridge that go to the Hinsdale schools and have the lot size/street/house size that you are looking for. Check out Burr Ridge Meadows, Heatherfield, etc. Anything that is between I-55 and 55th street and between County Line road and the Tri state tollway has the features you are talking about. Also, it is relatively close to downtown hinsdale (Not walking, but I used to ride my bike there). We lived on a cul de sac, 4200 sq ft 4 bdrm house on a .5 acre lot. I LOVED it.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:28 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
A very large percent of public high schools in Illinois are on the state watch list for failure to meet state and federal education standards. Private and religious schools are not included on this list.

The cul-de-sac has been in Illinois towns for generations, but it has fallen out of favor in recent years. My sister-in-lives on a cul-de-sac in a house built in 1960.

If you work from home, and, if going into the city every week is not an issue, you can live anywhere. Princeton, for instance, is a county seat about two hours west of Chicago. It has a very good school system, hospital, large park, mature trees, lower COL, lower taxes, and your older/better neighborhoods. It has always been a nice community (with good reps) to raise kids. The downside is if you shop TJ's and Costco you go into the city.
A good number of them are providing quality education to students WHO WANT TO LEARN. Some schools end up on the watch list because small sub-groups are not quite up to standards.

There are some beautiful areas around Barrington, Hawthorn Woods, Kildeer and Long Grove. Even some areas outside of Wauconda that are gorgeous. A closer in suburb like Prospect Heights has some nice lot sizes and beautiful homes. Close to downtown Arlington Heights there are some older homes in updated condition on large lots within walking distance of train, library, groceries and downtown.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:11 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
If the goal is $850k or so AND 3000 sq ft AND 1/4 acre+ lots AND cul de sac AND charming downtown I would strongly suggest Geneva or St. Charles. If you are not that into the charming downtown and want even bigger yards I would toss South Elgin and Wayne into the mix. If you are OK with all planned communities I might toss Burr Ridge and Oak Brook into the mix. If you are OK with having one of the more expensive homes in town I would also consider Flossmoor.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:53 PM

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!!

Old 05-02-2012, 04:11 AM

6 posts, read 13,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If the goal is $850k or so AND 3000 sq ft AND 1/4 acre+ lots AND cul de sac AND charming downtown I would strongly suggest Geneva or St. Charles. If you are not that into the charming downtown and want even bigger yards I would toss South Elgin and Wayne into the mix. If you are OK with all planned communities I might toss Burr Ridge and Oak Brook into the mix. If you are OK with having one of the more expensive homes in town I would also consider Flossmoor.
Chet hit it right on the head! Fox Valley area is probably a good start with South Elgin being my follow-up. I might even consider the up-coming North Aurora area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs