Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 04:09 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkandBeans View Post
Well I'm not a fan of any of the older homes available in these more grounded communities and the areas I do like are too far away from my job. Destined to be miserable?
Probably 90% of the shows on HGTV, DIY, Create and the other channels are based on the idea that they take an older home, tear out some of the crummy old decorating , save the charming "good stuff" and end up with a home SPECIFICALLY updated for the needs / tastes of its owner.

I have met almost NO ONE that prefers paper thin walls and doors over nice solidly built ones, no one that would rather have some low end "builder grade" appliances / mechanicals, no one that actually would choose the crummy stamped metal and plastic fittings/trim that modern builders stuff into house to save money compared old high quality hand cast metal and carved wood of years past...

You have to use a little imagination. The "new homes" WON'T be delivered to you looking like the "showcase home / sales model". You get a basic version that is pretty much a clean slate. When you look at existing homes you need to be able to see past how current owners have 'em decorated / utilized. If you do that you will be in great shape to negotiate and get the ugliest duckling that is just waiting to be transformed into a swan...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 05:55 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
Paper thin walls were more likely to be found in warmer climates in 1920's poor housing. You don't find much of it in IL. This house I didn't buy has hardwood floors, natural wood through out, and lath and plastered walls.

As to HGTV. They use houses with good bones and many thousand dollar bills to deconstruct and rebuild one house. It takes months without a large crew. Unless one has a lot money, one does not buy a house with the idea of knocking out a retaining wall and moving electric cables to enlarge a room.

IF the size of the house fits the family, IF the house is in livable condition, and IF the house passes a Home Inspection, IF the power panel will support the modern family conveniences. IF the furnace/AC and water heater have NOT outlived usefulness. and IF the roof is in good condition, and the plumbing is good -- it is generally safe to assume updates can be finished as the family budget can support it. I found amazing deals on light fixtures at Menard's and Lowe's after sales ended.

What you do not want to find in older houses is wall pocket lights, knob & tube wiring, or electrified gas lights.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:15 PM

382 posts, read 824,727 times
I would not do it. The hellish commute aside, the fact is that areas like Plainfield and the like will never come back. They are a mess of short sales and foreclosures. I have kids and time with your children is the most precious time in the world. I cannot justify giving up that just because I wanted to live in a McMansion. Plus, the schools are not that great. Even south Naperville is suffering. The best bet would be to get a starter home in a closer in area and save until you can afford something you like in a more stable area IMHO. It's amazing what people are doing now with custom remodeling older homes to fit their modern tastes. I've seen homes built 100 years ago with open floor plans, gourmet kitchens and vaulted family room remodels.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:21 PM

306 posts, read 479,739 times
I disagree with the poster above and you should do what you want to do. I have friends in L.A. who commute for longer than Planfield to Chicago for basically the same reason. Priced out, but in L.A. it is much much higher. I personally would not want that commute, but just my opinion.

Also, I live in Geneva in an old section which is very charming and I love it. That being said, I have many friends all over the Chicago region who live in both the inner and outer burbs. There is no "better place," but the right place for you.
One might prefer a nice open space home in Lake of the Hills which has tons of middle class families with kids instead of a bungalow in more congested Oak Park where home prices are higher/smaller and safety is more of a cocern. Vice versa on that above, I could see the appeal of living in a bungalow close to the city in a wonderful diverse burb in Oak Park Also, every community right now is being hit by foreclosures.
Where you live is what you make it and no place is better or worse, it is what you desire. Hope it helps.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:23 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divakat View Post
I would not do it. The hellish commute aside, the fact is that areas like Plainfield and the like will never come back. They are a mess of short sales and foreclosures. I have kids and time with your children is the most precious time in the world. I cannot justify giving up that just because I wanted to live in a McMansion. Plus, the schools are not that great. Even south Naperville is suffering. The best bet would be to get a starter home in a closer in area and save until you can afford something you like in a more stable area IMHO. It's amazing what people are doing now with custom remodeling older homes to fit their modern tastes. I've seen homes built 100 years ago with open floor plans, gourmet kitchens and vaulted family room remodels.
Very well said.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:44 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divakat View Post
+1. I took a Chicago Bungalow built in 1928 and modernized it, while keeping the plaster walls, oak trim, oak floors, stained glass windows and other historic elements in place. I also installed an IKEA kitchen around the historic elements in the kitchen. The result was a very stylish and functional house that draws a lot of complements. I can also walk to restaurants, grocery stores and parks, unlike in an exburb. My commute to the Loop is less than 20 minutes from the Metra station 4 blocks away.

The only money I've ever put into it over the span of nearly 10 years now have been updates that I've decided to do. No structure or system repairs have been required to date, other than a water heater that self destructed (the unit was from 1996 and I lost it in 2005).

Old 05-17-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
+1. I took a Chicago Bungalow built in 1928 and modernized it, while keeping the plaster walls, oak trim, oak floors, stained glass windows and other historic elements in place. I also installed an IKEA kitchen around the historic elements in the kitchen. The result was a very stylish and functional house that draws a lot of complements. I can also walk to restaurants, grocery stores and parks, unlike in an exburb. My commute to the Loop is less than 20 minutes from the Metra station 4 blocks away.

The only money I've ever put into it over the span of nearly 10 years now have been updates that I've decided to do. No structure or system repairs have been required to date, other than a water heater that self destructed (the unit was from 1996 and I lost it in 2005).
Yep, plus those Plainfield homes won't last more than 20 years.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:12 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Yep, plus those Plainfield homes won't last more than 20 years.
It's funny that about half of Berwyn and Cicero moved out to Plainfield during the 1990s. Nothing personal against Plainfield, I just find this to be ironic. Those moves made sense to them at the time as gas was like a nickle a gallon and you did get a big new house for cheap, and didn't have to deal with, well, I'll be kind and vague here -- "urban elements." Those draws really vanished over the last 5-7 years!

Old 05-17-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
It's funny that about half of Berwyn and Cicero moved out to Plainfield during the 1990s. Nothing personal against Plainfield, I just find this to be ironic. Those moves made sense to them at the time as gas was like a nickle a gallon and you did get a big new house for cheap, and didn't have to deal with, well, I'll be kind and vague here -- "urban elements." Those draws really vanished over the last 5-7 years!
Yep, and those trends aren't going to reverse any time soon.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:46 AM

169 posts, read 550,353 times
The only people I know that live in Plainfield are trying to get out b/c of the schools and park district, not to mention all the vacant homes in their subdivisions.

We moved out to Aurora (Dist. 204) when we had a 200k budget and no kids as well. Now we have kids and realize that my husband's commute to the city really takes away from family/couple time and can't wait to move closer to the city. So my biggest piece of advice would be to rent b/c it will be easier to get out of that if you decide that it's not worth the commute since life is too short and Plainfield is going down the tubes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs