Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 02:28 PM

720 posts, read 3,007,221 times

Advertisements

Just curious if anyone knows anything about Oakbrook Towers in off Butterfield and Meyer. Anyone know the area or even better live there or know anyone who lives or lived there?

I notice assocation fees are pretty high around $450 a month which kinda sucks since you can't write off association fees and that's something that never goes away. Do you at least get some good amenities for your money such as pool, gym, shuttle to train or anything like that?

Ive seen some of these places going for under 100k but there also seems to be a ton of them on the market. I notice the same thing in the city some really nice condos in older buildings but some assocation fees are upwards of $700.

I don't mind $450 in association fues as long as you get something for your money but I knwo of some condos in the naper/aurora wrea where its literally $400 a month no gym no pool maybe just a tennis court where the concrete is chipping and dcaying.

Anyhow, interestd overall in all types of info about these condos. Is it younger crowd or older crowd. What are the amenities like? What's the general area like? Is the building in good shape, not going to need any huge repairs residents will have to pay for? Anything else you feel is worth adding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 02:37 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
There is a pool, it is well exposed to the traffic on Meyer Rd. Other ammenities are pretty minimal. It is a "secure" type building and there is parking , but that is not really worth a ton to most folk. There may be some shared utilities covered in the assessment, which probably helps folks budget for winter / summer more easily.

The majority of folks that live there are older, some probably should be in care facilities. There are also divorced non- custodial parents that like the proximity to their kids / make sure spouse is not having a live-in that violates the custody / support agreement...

You can grab lunch or dinner at Reza's in the lobby of the east tower, a little more hip than Fond da la Tour...

You can walk to Champps or the other resturants across Meyers. There are worse places, but in general the ROI on condos in the region is not stellar.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:58 PM

720 posts, read 3,007,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There is a pool, it is well exposed to the traffic on Meyer Rd. Other ammenities are pretty minimal. It is a "secure" type building and there is parking , but that is not really worth a ton to most folk. There may be some shared utilities covered in the assessment, which probably helps folks budget for winter / summer more easily.

The majority of folks that live there are older, some probably should be in care facilities. There are also divorced non- custodial parents that like the proximity to their kids / make sure spouse is not having a live-in that violates the custody / support agreement...

You can grab lunch or dinner at Reza's in the lobby of the east tower, a little more hip than Fond da la Tour...

You can walk to Champps or the other resturants across Meyers. There are worse places, but in general the ROI on condos in the region is not stellar.
chett i was hoping youd chime in you always have good info especially on the west burbs. if you dont mind i also had another post looking for help on picking a suburb oakbrook , villa park, or others near expressway. if youd wouldn't mind chiming in id appreciate it you always have good insights.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:30 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
If you want a western suburb high rise with a pool, take a look at 190 s. wood dale rd in Wood dale. Its a well kept up building in a pretty area. It has a nice pool, a party room and under building garage parking. All condos have balconies and some look out over a golf course, very pretty. Prices are low there and you can get a condo for under a hundred thousand now. Some might need updating. There is a mix of older and younger residents there.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,751 times
It looks like a nice place to live but the association is very difficult to work with. If you plan to live here don't plan on making any changes to the place. The association will need to know what you are moving in and what time. Furthermore if u decide to take up something that you didn't tell the association about you won't be able to bring it in or take it out even if you had reserved the elevator. For example, if you ask to have the elevator padded because you will buy a desk and you decide to also buy a chair. The association will not allow you to take up the chair because you only said you have a desk to bring in. You will also need to ask specifically to have the elevator reserved to take out the garbage left over from the desk. They will not allow you to take down the garbage if you didn't specify that you will have to remove the box the desk was in because you only reserved the elevator to bring in something.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:53 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
I honestly can't fathom why people buy properties governed by associations. They can charge you whatever they want, tell you what you can and can't do with "your" property beyond any reason or legal recourse, and horror stories about them are ubiquitous. Besides aren't there enough governing bodies in Illinois making your life miserable and bleeding you dry?

My grandmother lived in Triumvera in Glenview/Northfield. They lost a lawsuit and had to pay $850k for screwing with a disabled kid and barring him from using the front entrance with his wheel chair. That was the tip of the iceberg, they tried to ban me (when I was a kid) from going to the pool with my grandmother, when the parking lot overflowed one passover they arranged a fleet of tow trucks to tow everyone's cars. My aunt was recently forced to take a loan of $10k after the association there ordered everyone to replace their windows or get fined. I absolutely refuse to even consider properties with an association and would recommend other do the same. At least if you're renting and the landlord becomes a tyrant you can not renew the lease.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 01-01-2014 at 11:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs