Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 12:08 AM

2 posts, read 1,811 times

Advertisements

My family is moving back to the Chicago area for work. We lived in the southern suburbs before, this time work is taking us north. Our job will be in Gurnee, yet all of our family lives near Naperville. I need help finding a town that is: family friendly, good schools, won't have a killer commute, and still be close to visit family. I would like to find a town that is somewhere in the center of both of these towns. I have looked at Des Plaines, Morton Grove and plenty more I am just not sure. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 10:11 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Gurnee is a long drive up the Tri-State from any town south /further away from the Tollway than DesPlaines or Park Ridge. Unless you need to be Naperville daily I would probably not worry too much about that drive and focus on ttrying to minimize drive to work...

Old 06-28-2012, 10:24 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
I agree unless you are visiting family daily, I'd stay close to Gurnee. You will appreciate the shorter commute especially in winter.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:44 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I agree unless you are visiting family daily, I'd stay close to Gurnee. You will appreciate the shorter commute especially in winter.
This is good advice.

OP, my husband and I are having a similar dilemma. We both work in the loop and we have friends in St. Charles and friends in Evanston. Both areas are expressway deserts and they're pretty far apart. So, like you, we're trying to find a place that balances our need to be in various places. Ultimately, I think having a short(er) commute is going to have the biggest impact on your/our daily life though. I still don't know where we're going to focus, but you're definitely not alone. Sometimes all the various options in Chicago are almost a detriment because it makes it hard to decide.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:05 AM

2 posts, read 1,811 times
I do not need to be in the Naperville area. We just want to be centrally located and have good schools. We have young kids that range in age 8-4 years old. I have no clue on the Northern Suburbs. Any ideas? Thanks!

Old 06-29-2012, 08:00 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,413,441 times
What is your budget? What are you looking for (house/apartment/rent/buy)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs