Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 12:56 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,140,627 times

Advertisements

...going on just schools and commute I would NOT recommend Plainfield for your situation. Too far a commute and still too much potential for downside. Naperville 203 would almost certainly be more desirable to most shoppers looking JUST at academics than 204, but the facilites at the newer D204 high schools are impressive to those who also are into atheltics and such. Still distance to a job in Batavia is a negative.

That leaves Mill Creek. Personally the HUGE range of house prices would scare me more than a little if I was shopping at the upper reaches out there (over $400K) but if you are under that and have good schools that along with best commute to work in Batavia would make for an easy choice at the top of a very NON-DETAILED list...

Now if I were your real estate agent I would certainly bring documentation about current and past property tax trends, info about current and future HOA assessments, comparative rates of price stability and details of long term school costs and success into the financial side of the decision AS WELL AS lots of details about the overall build quallity of the homes, the range of similar / higher quality hoes near by, and data about the surrounding amenities. Personally I do feel that the three are substantially similar in MOST of these aspects, though specific homes may have some issues that only on site inspection will reveal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndale22 View Post
We have whittled our listings down to 3 great homes. One is in Geneva, in the unincorporated Mill Creek subdivision, one is in Naperville with 204 schools, and one is in Plainfield with 308 schools.
The Naperville home is the most expensive, but it's in the great 204 school district, and also could be the most stable neighborhood.
The Plainfield home is by far the nicest home, but it's the farthest away so the commute could be anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes, and it's in the 308 school district.
The Geneva Mill Creek home is the lowest priced home, and would have a commute of only about 15 minutes, but we're not sure what to think about being outside the corporate limits of Geneva, as we would have a community well & septic.
How do these 3 areas stack up against each other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 04:50 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,869,549 times
As long as you stay away from the south suburbs like Worth you should be OK.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:50 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,414,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
As long as you stay away from the south suburbs like Worth you should be OK.
Took the words right out of my mouth!

The only towns you need to avoid are the towns that branch off from the Southwest Side of Chicago. Those who ran from Chicago because "they" took away their neighborhood. Alsip and Worth would be the worst, but you're liable to find some concentration of jerks in Oak Lawn, Midlothian, and maybe even the Palos' as well.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:00 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,869,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Took the words right out of my mouth!

The only towns you need to avoid are the towns that branch off from the Southwest Side of Chicago. Those who ran from Chicago because "they" took away their neighborhood. Alsip and Worth would be the worst, but you're liable to find some concentration of jerks in Oak Lawn, Midlothian, and maybe even the Palos' as well.
Yeah. Agreed. I always liked that water tower that said "Worth. The Friendly Village". I wanted to climb it and spray paint "as long as you are white, straight and not liberal". They aren't too friendly then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs