Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 10:23 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,113,735 times

Advertisements

To me a suburb is an individual and separate community with some type of government and a zip code. It is part of a much larger collection of other suburban communities most closely aligned with a single but much larger city, yet all are in the same county. When driving it is often difficult to tell when one leaves one suburb and enters another. Suburbs are not the same age or size, and they may not offer the same comfort level of a neighbor suburb. Suburbs may or may not use different garbage, sewer or water suppliers than a neighbor suburb. A suburb may or may not have access to the large city transit system

To me Chicago feels more cohesive and less fragmented. I am reasonably confident a friend who lives on the other side of town is offered the same kind of city services I have.

What am I missing?

Last edited by linicx; 07-01-2012 at 01:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 10:42 AM

4,111 posts, read 9,014,951 times
Shouldn't this be in General U.S or Urban Planning?

You must be talking about a very small metropolitan area if all of the city's suburbs are in the same county.

There are people in metro areas all across the county who could be contributing thier perspective.

Last edited by urza216; 07-01-2012 at 10:58 AM..

Old 07-01-2012, 01:27 PM

No, I do not want a national opinion. I'll fix the title.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:38 PM

Someone on the south side is often not provided the same services as someone on the north side. Just look at where the plow goes and takes a million years to go when it snows.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:23 PM

I appreciate what you are saying. Statewide: Interstate, US highways, and State highways that carry a majority of traffic are plowed first. It is followed by major city streets. Routes that carry lighter traffic, county roads, and city side streets get short shrift. I never lived in any Midwest state or city that did if differently. The difference is in who is doing the plowing. City generally plows inside city boundaries whereas the county plows the rest. And there are times when the snow is so bloody uncooperative the National Guard is called out.

Tell me urea, if you live on the South Side, even if you never use these services, who is your cable and landline phone provider? If you are in the city limits, who answers local fire and police calls in your area? Do you pay taxes at City Hall? Can you borrow books from the City library?

Last edited by linicx; 07-01-2012 at 04:31 PM..

Old 07-01-2012, 04:46 PM

And also neighborhoods with less important people (less money) are plowed afterwards. This is how it is done in Chicago and certain suburbs..

Old 07-01-2012, 04:57 PM

You did not answer my question.

If you do not live on a US Highway or major street you won't get plowed immediately, and you might not get plowed at all. It is related to anticipated winter weather and how much salt, sand, ??? is purchased by the city for the winter season. Many decisions are made on the fly based on weather reports while the snow is falling. I assure you there are areas all over the city and county that experienced the same thing. Residents can and do hire outside contractors to plow driveways and access points.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
You did not answer my question.

If you do not live on a US Highway or major street you won't get plowed immediately, and you might not get plowed at all. It is related to anticipated winter weather and how much salt, sand, ??? is purchased by the city for the winter season. Many decisions are made on the fly based on weather reports while the snow is falling. I assure you there are areas all over the city and county that experienced the same thing. Residents can and do hire outside contractors to plow driveways and access points.
Unless of course, wealthier people live on this "non major" street.

Generally speaking, density is the main difference between a city neighborhood and a suburban neighborhood. You can say other things but there are two many exceptions.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:07 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,800,641 times
Let's ignore suburbs outside Cook County for now. There are some suburban areas that are unincorporated and rely on the County for many services, including police protection. Most main roads are County or State. For additional confusion, the Post Office Zip Codes do not necessarily line up with municipal boundaries. The City of Chicago is more integrated; the School District, Library District, Police and Fire Department line up with City boundaries.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:46 PM

The City of Chicago is also the County Seat - another kink in the chain. Do the City of Chicago specific zip codes creep into suburbs that share boundaries with the city, for instance, Oak Park?

Downstate the zip usually changes from community to community. For instance Chicago is 602xx, 606xx, and 607xx. Peoria is 616xx. Once you move south of the Peoria area the zip become 626xx and Springfield is 627xx The last two digit are fluid ranging from 01 to 99. If the zip code on the Chicago side of the Oak Park border was 60698, would Oak Park also be 60698 or would be 60699. I'm pretty sure it would the latter as the physical address is assigned every 1/10 mile. It was done this way in rural areas to help 911 callers quickly identify the location for for faster and more accurate EMS dispatch. I am not sure how it is applied in the city the size of Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs