Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 12:41 PM

3 posts, read 13,555 times

Advertisements

Hello - was looking at purchasing a home near the intersection of Elmhurst & Algonquin Roads in Des Plaines. The day I was in the area, there were a bunch of gigantic jets from O'Hare roaring and screaming over the neighborhood. I'm trying to figure out if this was a fluke or is this area always plagued with jet noise. Anybody know how bad the overall O'hare jet noise gets in that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 04:30 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
It can get pretty bad. It often depends on wind direction, where planes take off.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:58 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,183,965 times
Does O'Hare have a curfew for when planes can take off or land?

Here in Boston, we have one, but it often seems violated despite our airport's located so close to many neighborhoods.

Check about any curfew for O'Hare if that's important enough to you when buying.

As said, depending on winds ad seasons, an area may go a day or two without air traffic even if near an airport, only because the winds stay in a different direction. One buying house would not even sense an airport nearby vs. viewing the house days later or hours later when the area is slammed with noise.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:10 PM

Thanks for your help!

Old 07-09-2012, 08:28 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,503 times
I would ask the neighbors! Not a bad idea to get a feeling for what they're like before you buy. Having bad neighbors can be a miserable experience.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:37 PM

4 posts, read 8,846 times
It was most likely not a fluke. Plane noise can be pretty bad in that area. I lived my first 18 years fairly one intersection closer to Ohare then the one you mention. By Elmhurst and Oakton, which is on the path of runways 8 and 9 of Ohare field. While there are times when the traffic overhead is light, there are also times of the day you, not only cannot carry on a conversation with your neighbor standing right next to you, it irritates you inside your own home. They can and will land one right after another. That area really isn't a question of wind direction, the airplanes are directly overhead, it depends how close the house is to the direct flight path into the airport.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:17 PM

17 posts, read 71,710 times
When O'Hare finishes the planned upgrade on their runways, most of the flights will be more from the East and West direction. Not saying that 42R and 42L will not be used, but there plans are that more flight plans will follow the Kennedy Expressway and over Elk Grove Village Industrial park.
A side note, a lot of freight flights are scheduled in the night, thus avoiding the passenger schedule. I can remember when that airport was an open field, and nothing around except farm land. Elk Grove village was nothing but farm land also.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:10 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPFireman View Post
When O'Hare finishes the planned upgrade on their runways, most of the flights will be more from the East and West direction. Not saying that 42R and 42L will not be used, but there plans are that more flight plans will follow the Kennedy Expressway and over Elk Grove Village Industrial park.
A side note, a lot of freight flights are scheduled in the night, thus avoiding the passenger schedule. I can remember when that airport was an open field, and nothing around except farm land. Elk Grove village was nothing but farm land also.
Wow, you must be old. I'm no spring chicken and I can't remember a time when EGV wasn't mostly industrial. If not for the airport it would probably be residential today.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:32 PM

MPFireman - do you mean the NW/SE 32R & 32L runways? I did read that they plan on decommissioning these runways. Not sure if the east/west runway configuration will still bring lots of traffic over the area though. Guess it all depends on their headings right after take-off.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:41 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilmer Sawyer View Post
Hello - was looking at purchasing a home near the intersection of Elmhurst & Algonquin Roads in Des Plaines. The day I was in the area, there were a bunch of gigantic jets from O'Hare roaring and screaming over the neighborhood. I'm trying to figure out if this was a fluke or is this area always plagued with jet noise. Anybody know how bad the overall O'hare jet noise gets in that area?
Wind conditions will determine which runways are used for departure and arrivals, and in which directions. And that intersection happens to line right up with one of the runway arrival/departure corridors. Lucky me, I live under one too. The days where you're right below a departure corridor are the worst because the engines are in near-full thrust. It won't happen every day, but it'll happen often enough that you either better get used to it or find some place further away from the airport to live. You never realize how "used to it" you can get until it's gone. The week or so after 9/11 were the most eerily quiet days I ever spent living around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs