Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 02:28 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times

Advertisements

It is amazing what you can learn by reading and observing. "The difference with Oak Park is that white people continued to move to Oak Park even after it became integrated." They still do.

Urza, about these other towns. I remember the uproar caused in these forums when H-F high school was mentioned in the local paper for its APY achievements. So tell me about the city services, parks, churches, schools, city awards, politics, transpiration, travel time to the Loop, in the suburbs you champion as diverse places to live.

Show me why they are great suburbs. I am not saying they are not great, but tell me more.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:36 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Also, regarding the integrated south suburbs. Will they still have a substantial white population in ten years? In 20 years? I don't know enough about the region to speculate. Obviously you could ask the same about Oak Park.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:51 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,785,625 times
The is a very large gay and lesbian population in Oak Park, and I know of many young and older gay couples that have moved to Oak Park because of the schools, and to be in an integrated community where they could raise their children (both born and adopted)... Amongst all the other things that draw people to Oak Park.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:51 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
I agree with many of the things that oakparkdude lists as reasons that people choose OP over other places and I don't discount the shear visual appeal. Unlike other suburbs or edge areas of Chicago that had massive amounts of tract builders operate post WWII the majority of Oak Park's housing stock was built "one at time" or at least in such spread out eras that there is very low "visual monotony". Folks that study these things as Professors of Architecture / Urban Planning have found that humans will grow disatisfied with a things that look too similar and that leads to high turn over. You see the same thing happen in places like San Francisco, New Hamphsire even parts of the west like Colorado ski towns that have the charming "Christmas Village" variety of housing styles being far more costly than places developed with a "Disneyworld" asthetic of boring condos...

Homosexuals are well known as having a more highly refined sense of style and it is no surprise they flock to towns that similarly exhibit more of the "peacock" housing stock over "the ugly ducklings".

Old 07-10-2012, 03:11 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,065,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
It is amazing what you can learn by reading and observing. "The difference with Oak Park is that white people continued to move to Oak Park even after it became integrated." They still do.

Urza, about these other towns. I remember the uproar caused in these forums when H-F high school was mentioned in the local paper for its APY achievements. So tell me about the city services, parks, churches, schools, city awards, politics, transpiration, travel time to the Loop, in the suburbs you champion as diverse places to live.

Show me why they are great suburbs. I am not saying they are not great, but tell me more
That has nothing to do with the subject at hand. Why would I do that when the thread is about DIVERSITY IN OAK PARK and how clearly there is diversity in the south suburbs too. Oak Park isn't alone?

You did say churches though. I will mention that I was raised Unitarian Universalist and went to the church in Park Forest almost every Sunday. I've also been to the U.U church in Oak Park more times than I can count..

Old 07-10-2012, 03:27 PM

That Oak Park is religiously diverse is part of its appeal. Some but not all of the denominations I found in a random search include Catholic, Jewish, Buddhist, Ba'Hai, Muslim, Chinese, Episcopal, Methodist, Lutheran, Church of Christ, Presbyterian, Jehovah Witness, Christian, Unitarian, Seventh-day Adventist, Syrian Orthodox, AME, non-denominal and sub-denominations.

Primary education include Montessori, Cathoilic, Jewish, other denominations, public and homeschool. I did find a small university that offers a bachelor's and master's degree in the field of Nursing

Old 07-10-2012, 03:35 PM

You said, Urza, "Since I'm apparently supposed to start a new thread if I want to compare Oak Park to other diverse suburbs, here it is."

So compare, already. Graphs are only useful for comparing demographics, and if you want to do that put it side-by-side on one page. Or put it in text on one page.

It takes more than color to grow a diverse community. If it was that easy there would not be wholesale movement to places like Wilmette and Winnetka, and Maywood would still be a majority white community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
That has nothing to do with the subject at hand. Why would I do that when the thread is about DIVERSITY IN OAK PARK and how clearly there is diversity in the south suburbs too. Oak Park isn't alone?

You did say churches though. I will mention that I was raised Unitarian Universalist and went to the church in Park Forest almost every Sunday. I've also been to the U.U church in Oak Park more times than I can count..

Old 07-10-2012, 03:39 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,065,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
You said, Urza, "Since I'm apparently supposed to start a new thread if I want to compare Oak Park to other diverse suburbs, here it is."

So compare, already. Graphs are only useful for comparing demographics, and if you want to do that put it side-by-side on one page. Or put it in text on one page.
This is a direct continuation of the discussion that was going on in the first thread. I just wanted to have my voice heard.

People are talking about about how Oak Park is the one and only diverse suburb. I gave examples of other suburbs but apparently I wasn't supposed to mention other suburbs unless I start my own thread.

This is a thread about Oak Park and why it's praised so highly for its diversity when there are IN FACT other long-standing diverse suburbs. And not just south suburbs. North Chicago is another one.

Last edited by urza216; 07-10-2012 at 03:48 PM..

Old 07-10-2012, 05:10 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,785,625 times
Oak Park is not praised for being just diverse, but for being diverse (in the wider and actual sense of the word) AND integrated.

I should add to my post above that many of the gay and lesbian community I've met move to Oak Park because of the general inclusiveness the larger community exhibits towards difference.

Interested people can refer to the Oak Park Area Lesbian and Gay Association for more information about the community in Oak Park. http://opalga.org/

Old 07-10-2012, 05:12 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,782,504 times
Compare the crime rates and local schools of all the diverse areas and you will have your answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs