Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 04:03 AM

5 posts, read 20,177 times

Advertisements

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Relocating in November to Chicago and working in Naperville area. My wife would really like to live in an area that has access to a JCC/Synagogue with good schools. We have a 2 year old and one on the way. She would really like to live in Northbrook but it appears the commute would be a bear. Could anybody give me an idea of how long that commute might take to Naperville?

Also, are there any areas that might be in between that might be a good fit for us. Finally, we probably are going to be able to afford a bit over 400k for a house and are looking for a 4BR. Are we completely out of luck with these parameters.

Would like to find a way to make my wife happy (as she is going kicking and screaming, not spend my life commuting, and find affordable housing). Thanks for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 09:21 AM

84 posts, read 425,606 times
I think finding a nice 4BR in Northbrook for anywhere near $400k is not realistic. You would probably help your commute and home search to look a little further west - try Arl Heights, Palatine, Schaumburg, maybe some parts of Buffalo Grove. You'll still be reasonably close to the larger Jewish communities, closer to a more direct route to Naperville (53/355), and have more housing options in that price range. You could always give Naperville itself a try. Its not known as a Jewish area, but there are synagogues in Naperville, Aurora, and Lombard, and your housing dollar will definitely go farther than it will up north (although 400k will require some patient shopping).

Old 10-02-2007, 12:05 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the help. We are going to look at Arlington Heights and points between. Any thoughts on Elk Grove Village or other burbs in between Arlington Heights and Naperville given what we are looking for?

Much appreciated

Old 10-02-2007, 07:58 PM

677 posts, read 4,193,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbruce View Post
Thanks for the help. We are going to look at Arlington Heights and points between. Any thoughts on Elk Grove Village or other burbs in between Arlington Heights and Naperville given what we are looking for?
My in-laws are Jewish and have lived in Elk Grove Village for over 30 years. They love living there. One of the largest forest preserves in Cook County is practically in their backyard, plus they're half a mile from one of the best hospitals in the U.S. The Elk Grove park district has tons of activities and facilities for families, including a water park and childrens theme park. There are two school systems in Elk Grove Village: school district 59 with Elk Grove HS if you live east of 53, and school district 54 with Conant HS if you live west of 53. 59 and Elk Grove HS are good schools, but 54 and Conant are better.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:35 PM

384 posts, read 1,127,765 times
Wow, a little far from Naperville. Speaking from experience, I would say if you are going to work in Naperville, you would be better off living in the west or south subarbs. The drive will quickly wear you out within months. For me to get to Chicago from Romeoville, which is about 20 minutes to Naperville, takes about an hour.

Good housing in Naperville is pretty expensive, cost of living is high. But it is an extremely nice place to live in my opinion. Downtown Naperville is very quaint and a nice place to walk around and socialize. The Riverwalk is a nice walk.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:48 AM

Default Elk Grove Village

Interesting to hear about Elk Grove Village. From a location point of view it seems like a perfect fit given it is a reasonable drive to work in Naperville with access to the Northern suburbs, synagogues, etc...

I really haven't heard much about Elk Grove Village as far as being a great place to live. Usually when people talk about the Western/Northwestern burbs they recommend Naperville, Arlington Heights, Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, etc...

Anybody else live in Elk Grove Village and have any thoughts as far as education, raising a family, access, etc...

Much appreciated.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:17 AM

474 posts, read 2,527,519 times
Default A Commute From Northbrook To Naperville Not Good

If you were to consider a daily commute between Naperville and Northbrook, I would not recommend it. For a moment, consider the rush hour drive on local city roads and not the toll roads. And for a moment, picture a right angle triangle. All of the better roads (time element) from point 'A' to point 'B' are achieved by driving roads that are represented by the 'legs' of that right angle triangle. If one were to choose direct point to point roads (Naperville to Northbrook) then one would be driving the hypotenuse of our imaginary triangle. And so, as a general rule for Chicago's suburbs 'crosstown' travel, do not plan a route that uses our imaginary hypotenuse of that triangle.
The travel time (in theory) should be faster by doing a right angle to one's destination. The reason 'why' is the unbelievable amount of stop lights doing a crosstown route.
Another way to examine this is to consider how Chicago & suburb roads are laid out. Downtown Chicago is the 'hub' and the main roads around the suburb areas are usually aligned as spokes of the wheel. Of course there are exceptions, but not in the case of Northbrook to Naperville. I hope this makes sense to you. Have a good day!

Carter Glass,
Wheaton, IL

Old 10-03-2007, 09:19 PM

108 posts, read 397,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbruce View Post
Interesting to hear about Elk Grove Village. From a location point of view it seems like a perfect fit given it is a reasonable drive to work in Naperville with access to the Northern suburbs, synagogues, etc...
I really haven't heard much about Elk Grove Village as far as being a great place to live. Usually when people talk about the Western/Northwestern burbs they recommend Naperville, Arlington Heights, Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, etc...
Anybody else live in Elk Grove Village and have any thoughts as far as education, raising a family, access, etc...
Much appreciated.
Hello Bruce,
My husband kids and I are moving to Naperville by June next year. I was looking for synagogues and Jewish camps in Naperville and found some. We are looking for a 3-4 bedroom house as well.
We were looking at many Chicago towns there and for us Naperville seems to be the best choice. And by the way Naperville is the number 1 city in america for raising kids!
Where are you moving from?

Old 10-03-2007, 10:29 PM

Default MomandwifefromCali

We are moving from St. Louis where my wife is from originally.

Naperville does have a synagogue which is reconstructionist which isn't what we are looking for. We are looking for a reform congregation. The only reform synagogue on the West side of Chicago is located in Lombard.

We are considering Naperville still but would also like to explore some of the Northwest suburbs such as Arlington Heights. Not sure how bad the commute will be from there however.

Finally, we are awaiting our second child and have some friends and family that we are hoping can help us out from time to time. The issue is that they all live in the city and Naperville is a real haul for them.

Would like to find an affordable town between Naperville and the city ideally but I think we are out of luck looking for a 4 BR for $400k in many of those areas (i.e. Elmhurst, Oak Park, etc..)

Old 10-04-2007, 07:20 AM

474 posts, read 2,527,519 times
Default Lets Take A Metra Train Ride

My expertise are the railroad towns going West out of downtown Chicago. So lets talk about Naperville and Wheaton for a few moments. Our quest is to search for affordable homes along that corridor. Naperville, Illinois is serviced by the Burlington-Northern - METRA commuter system.
Wheaton - - about six to ten miles directly north of Naperville is serviced by the Union Pacific METRA railroad.
I am more familiar with the Union Pacific Route than the Burlington - Northern. So to answer the question of, "What is affordable along these corridors" - - the answer is that you have to (in general; there are always exceptions) get west of the Fox River before one starts seeing lower priced homes.
On the Union Pacific Railroad system, commuter service ends at Elburn, Illinois. So the station sequence going West from Glen Ellyn, IL would be - - Glen Ellyn, Wheaton (2 stops), Winfield, West Chicago, Geneva, La Fox and then Elburn. West of Elburn, there is no commuter railroad service.
But the price of housing will probably change in the future when housing prices start dropping. Up to an estimated 30 percent drop in the future.

Carter Glass
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs