Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 12:52 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,570 times

Advertisements

Get used to it and look to Europe for your future...If your suburb isn't rich in transportation options, large employment centers, historic charm, etc...slums are your future.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:52 PM

20 posts, read 63,794 times
yes, chet is right that it's the landlords can decide who comes in but as you said they can't find anyone descent to rent it so they invite in section 8 only to find they end up destroying the property itself as well as bringing the property down in value. And nothing can be done about it and that's why i'm gettin on outta here! truth is i'm scared of what and who are moving in and i'm not liking the people being invited into my building c/o the section 8 neighbors.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgusting View Post
yes, chet is right that it's the landlords can decide who comes in but as you said they can't find anyone descent to rent it so they invite in section 8 only to find they end up destroying the property itself as well as bringing the property down in value. And nothing can be done about it and that's why i'm gettin on outta here! truth is i'm scared of what and who are moving in and i'm not liking the people being invited into my building c/o the section 8 neighbors.
You sound irrationally scared of poor people but then again, that's part of what gave us the suburbs in the first place.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:05 PM

poor people who carry guns and rob other people, yes, i'm scared. I'm also scared of poor people who are mixed up in drugs and gang bang activities ...with gangs comes violence and crime. so yes if you want to call me scared of poor people like that than go right ahead.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:07 PM

the violent crime rates in GH are low...the area will continue to decline because no one wants to move there but your hyperbole isn't helping your point.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:08 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
The problem is not the number of rental units. It is the number of slumlords who do not force out bad tenants, or keep their rentals in good repair. It is a money game for owners who rent. The minute they lower rent to fill a vacancy they lose the battle.

Another city in Illinois won the battle when they razed old public housing and built new. The changed the rules. Once a resident was evicted no one from that family was allowed back onto any city owned housing property for any reason at any time. If caught they were arrested, charged with trespassing and convicted. The tough rules cured a lot of the social ills associated with public housing.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:18 PM

do you even know what my point is? it's to show how bad Gh has gotten. my outrage of it is for sure going to come out. You want to call it hyperbole when i call it reading the daily herald and seeing the proof with my own eyes. I'm not interested in arguing a point on how I choose to react to it.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:25 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgusting View Post
i'm sure the city isn't cleanup up of all trash but alot of what lives in the city is now here in the burbs. People move to the burbs to stay away from that. to live in a somewhat safe area. It's just a damn shame.
Well, that's largely why we have this problem. Instead of addressing it, everyone fled. As long it was out of sight, it was out of mind. But then it grew, and then it spread. It will continue to get worse unless we fundamentally overhaul our educational system to employ effective teaching methods on those who are disadvantaged.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:34 PM

agree. perhaps the money could be used to create more areas of actual employment for those who really do want to make their lives better.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:23 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
I'm sad to hear about a nice suburb, when i see Army Trail Road and Bloomingdale I think about my favorite shopping area, now I hope they won't suffer due to crime, and then those nice stores will turn into dollar stores, wig shops, cheap restaurants, like Stone Park is now suffering from. The other thing Glendale Heights is right on the border of some otherwise very nice upper middle class suburbs like Roselle and Arlington Heights not too far from there, and Elk Grove Village so sad.. there goes the neighborhood.

Now that the great experiment with housing projects in the city, and them not lasting so now they are tearing everything down, and now the people are going to the nice suburbs, and now we have a big problem .. now what do we do? It is happening, it's not just something we read about in the history books, now what????

This makes the other thing I've been reading which makes sense - people are moving back to the city where it is often now better than the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs