Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 12:00 PM

17 posts, read 88,223 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am a first time buyer and naturally cannot afford much of the already established suburban neighborhoods. Specifically, we are looking for a home in the north/northwest suburbs. The closest area in our price range (200-250k for a single family home) happens to be Round Lake/Round Lake Beach. People have mentioned that this area tends to be a little "ghetto"--for a lack of a better word. I do not have a problem with it being relatively unestablished yet, but do not want to end up in a suburb that will not attract investors or is a bad neighborhood. Can anyone lend advice or share their view of this area and it's prospects? I would really appreciate responses from those who currently live or have lived there.

Thank You!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 10:49 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,540,967 times
Where are your jobs located? I've heard mixed reviews of Round Lake but have never lived there myself so I can't comment on that town. If we know where you will be working we may be able to recommend other affordable areas to check out as well.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:42 AM

We work in Deerfield and Arlington Heights. I was also considering Crystal Lake, Heinsville and Grayslake. Although the last two are a little out of the price range.

Thanks for your help!

Old 10-03-2007, 12:40 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,540,967 times
I recommend checking out Volo, IL. We looked at a nice brand new community in Volo that started at $230K for a new single family home. We didn't end up buying there but it seemed like a really nice community, and has a better rep and schools than Round Lake.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:21 AM

We were actually just talking about looking into Volo. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Old 10-17-2007, 11:08 PM

2 posts, read 11,538 times
Thumbs up Round Lake Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm1982 View Post
Hello,
I am a first time buyer and naturally cannot afford much of the already established suburban neighborhoods. Specifically, we are looking for a home in the north/northwest suburbs. The closest area in our price range (200-250k for a single family home) happens to be Round Lake/Round Lake Beach. People have mentioned that this area tends to be a little "ghetto"--for a lack of a better word. I do not have a problem with it being relatively unestablished yet, but do not want to end up in a suburb that will not attract investors or is a bad neighborhood. Can anyone lend advice or share their view of this area and it's prospects? I would really appreciate responses from those who currently live or have lived there.

Thank You!!
Hello there:
just wanted to drop you a quick line - we've lived in Round lake for 5 years and could not be happier. Round lake is a mixed area with some very old housing and some beautiful new developments. As long as you stay away from areas, which fall into RL school district, you'll do great. We live on SW corner of Round Lake, fall into Big Hollow School District, we've gotten a beautiful house for a reasonable price in a neighborhood with two parks, mature trees and large wetland (undevelopped) area. All necessary shopping is within 5 minute drive, there is an acclaimed park district - very active, not so hot library, but it's OK, lots of fishing!! and many preserves to go for a walk on a nice day.

Good luck!

Last edited by mdz; 10-18-2007 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: no advertising on board

Old 10-22-2007, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jindra 21 View Post
Hello there:
just wanted to drop you a quick line - we've lived in Round lake for 5 years and could not be happier. Round lake is a mixed area with some very old housing and some beautiful new developments. As long as you stay away from areas, which fall into RL school district, you'll do great. We live on SW corner of Round Lake, fall into Big Hollow School District, we've gotten a beautiful house for a reasonable price in a neighborhood with two parks, mature trees and large wetland (undevelopped) area. All necessary shopping is within 5 minute drive, there is an acclaimed park district - very active, not so hot library, but it's OK, lots of fishing!! and many preserves to go for a walk on a nice day.

Good luck!
Jindra,
Thank you so much for your reply. I keep hearing that I should stay to the SW side of Round Lake, but do you know of any specific subdivisions that you would recommend? Any thoughts on Round Lake Beach? Most of the houses we are shown are in that area.

Thanks so much!!!

Old 01-26-2008, 11:41 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Lived in Round Lake over 20 years ago, so nothing I could add really means anything today. Loved it there, unfortunately my parents moved us to Florida.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 7,268 times
Default Living in Round Lake

Hi, I live in Round Lake and I've been in the area fro 3 years now, and love it. We don't live in the "beach" part of RL, but closer to Fox Lake, Ingleside, Volo. The subdivisions around are Valley Lakes, Prairie Point and there are a few others. The schools are Big Hollow and Grant High School, and my daughter has been at both, and I'm satisfied with the education she's getting. Parks are nice, people are nice, and we're close to major shopping areas. The library in RL is ok, but we use the Fox Lake Library, which is more "quaint" but I love it better than the RL library. Volo is 2 minutes away, so still in the area with the same school district and libraries. Good Luck.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:50 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Pay very close attention to property taxes because they impact the monthly affordability of any home you buy as well as resale value.

For this reason, you may do better in Cook County, if you are willing to accept an older home and do some work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs