Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 05:26 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjake View Post
As I said I can name atleast a half dozen preferred locations off of the top of my head within 30 minutes of crown point that will give you much better access to the amenities of the chicagoland region.
So can I. It seems as if the OP isn't considering much of anything that lies in between the Indiana state line and 1-57.

But oh well. I'm still throwing the idea of Highland out there.

Last edited by urza216; 07-31-2012 at 05:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 05:32 PM

9 posts, read 26,120 times
We welcome recommendations of communities that have great schools, low crime and an hour or less commute to both downtown Chicago and Merrillville. Haven't looked into Highland but will. Thanks for the posts!

Old 07-31-2012, 08:10 PM

157 posts, read 403,043 times
I would recommend Dyer or St. John around the vicinity of 81st (Steger Rd in Illinois) to 101st (exchange Ave in Illinois) along Hart St/Sheffield Ave. There are many nice new homes going up in the 400K range. In that area you can get to 394 via Steger Rd within 5 minutes and be in Chicago in under 45 minutes. Also from this point there are back roads you can take to Merrillville and avoid a lot of the congestion of the busier highways.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:00 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendellw View Post
We welcome recommendations of communities that have great schools, low crime and an hour or less commute to both downtown Chicago and Merrillville. Haven't looked into Highland but will. Thanks for the posts!
For schools, you may want to look into Munster and Valparaiso. Both are within 20-30 minutes of Merrillville. Munster is 30-40 minutes from downtown and Valparaiso is an hour.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:05 AM

117 posts, read 332,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighthood82 View Post
I would recommend Dyer or St. John around the vicinity of 81st (Steger Rd in Illinois) to 101st (exchange Ave in Illinois) along Hart St/Sheffield Ave. There are many nice new homes going up in the 400K range. In that area you can get to 394 via Steger Rd within 5 minutes and be in Chicago in under 45 minutes. Also from this point there are back roads you can take to Merrillville and avoid a lot of the congestion of the busier highways.
With so much industrial located in dyer and nearby it's hardly an area I would recommend to someone new to the area looking to spend $400k on a home. Sure dyer has some new housing. But most of the neighborhoods with older homes in dyer are very run down looking and have seen better days. Many of the streets are in need of some serious repaving also. Again if you have respiratory issues or sensitive skin the pollution let off from all of the industrial may be something to consider also. My question is what does dyer really have to offer? Is Dyer really the kind of area where someone looking to move to the chicagoland region would want to move to and spend $400,000. My personal recommendation if you are looking to live in indiana and be close to Merrillville would be Dune Acres. Buying a home in dune acres would be a better long term investment than buying a new construction home in dyer which has very little residential infrastructure. Dyer is an area that is completely void of residential character and seriously lack aesthetic charm. Dune Acres has exclusive access to lake michigan, very private, and there is more much more outdoor family stuff to do. Not your typical northwest indiana heavy industrial community.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:29 PM

247 posts, read 688,503 times
Quote:
With so much industrial located in dyer and nearby it's hardly an area I would recommend to someone new to the area looking to spend $400k on a home. Sure dyer has some new housing. But most of the neighborhoods with older homes in dyer are very run down looking and have seen better days. Many of the streets are in need of some serious repaving also. Again if you have respiratory issues or sensitive skin the pollution let off from all of the industrial may be something to consider also. My question is what does dyer really have to offer? Is Dyer really the kind of area where someone looking to move to the chicagoland region would want to move to and spend $400,000. My personal recommendation if you are looking to live in indiana and be close to Merrillville would be Dune Acres. Buying a home in dune acres would be a better long term investment than buying a new construction home in dyer which has very little residential infrastructure. Dyer is an area that is completely void of residential character and seriously lack aesthetic charm. Dune Acres has exclusive access to lake michigan, very private, and there is more much more outdoor family stuff to do. Not your typical northwest indiana heavy industrial community.
I'm not sure what "industrial" you are referring to in Dyer. There are no steel mills or factories belching out blue smoke in Dyer. The people I know that live in Dyer (as well as other areas of NWI such as Crown Point, Munster, Schererville, and St. John) all relocated there from Chicago/Chicago suburbs. They moved to NWI because of good housing stock, good schools, lower taxes, and ease of commute. There are a number of upscale subdivisions in Dyer and the surrounding area. It's not Gary or Hammond, and it's just as nice as Mokena or New Lenox, if not nicer.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:36 PM

247 posts, read 688,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
So can I. It seems as if the OP isn't considering much of anything that lies in between the Indiana state line and 1-57.

But oh well. I'm still throwing the idea of Highland out there.
Highland is decent, but the towns in the Lake Central School Corporation have better schools.

Last edited by supportyourschools; 08-01-2012 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 08-01-2012, 03:02 PM

179 posts, read 486,194 times
wendellw: As much as I love the Frankfort (and surrounding) area, a drive to Merrillville isn't going to be an easy or quick one for your wife each day. Getting to Chicago is another story, with the Metra stations close by. Lincoln-Way HS - East is a great school and offers a wide range of academic and extra-curricular activities for your kids. Both my boys went to the school and did very well moving forward into colleges. The Lincoln-Way region as a whole has grown and changed much since I was a kid living there. Many more/range of options for shopping, entertainment, housing, etc. that years ago. Of course that means additional taxes and congestion on the highways. Part of the price paid for expansion and growth. Will County (and ALL LWHS-area schools are in Will County) are not inexpensive, but Mokena typically has the best tax rate of these towns ... if that is something you are concerned greatly over. Having been an appraiser and mortgage professional in the area for over 3 decades, I can assure you that what you are seeing in foreclosures is a "blip" in what normally occurs in the area. Real estate, IMO, will come back strong ... the school systems contributing to much of that strength. If you have questions ... feel free to write. I'll help where I can ... or refer you for more info ...
No matter your final decision, best of luck ...

Old 08-01-2012, 03:42 PM

811 posts, read 2,336,815 times
Quote:
I understand that you have a negative opinion on anything related to Indiana, especially when someone is considering an Indiana town against an Illinois town. But, you can't just make up lies and spread them on message boards when people are genuinely looking for help. There are no industries, refineries, or mills in Dyer at all. There are mills closer to Dune Acres than there is to Dyer. I don't live in Dyer, but here's why many people like the town:
-Small town feel
-Strong public schools
- Quick access to Chicago and its suburbs via 394
- Very low real estate taxes
- Safety

Old 08-01-2012, 03:47 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
There's pleaty of industrial near Flossmoor in Chicago Heights. That's not just an Indiana thing. It's a Southland thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs