U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 09:56 PM

2 posts, read 4,559 times

Advertisements

I'm living in Chicago near Roosevelt and get a new job in libertyville. I would prefer not driving.

My question is What would be my quickest option to get to Libertyville from Chicago using Metra. I could try to take a bus/shuttle to the nearest Metra station. Does this even sound practical?

I would appreciate any advice you may have!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 02:37 AM

185 posts, read 554,708 times
You posted the same question in the Chicago forum.

It would make a big difference whether you live near Austin and Roosevelt or near Clinton and Roosevelt. Same for your destination.

Could you please at least give us a major intersection near your home and destination?

Old 08-03-2012, 06:15 AM

28,461 posts, read 78,587,795 times
Default Really poor options...

The Metra service to Libertyville from Chicago during the "reverse commuter" hours is going to give very limited schedule. The actual track to Libertyville is a single line so there is no way for trains to by pass...

Once you get to downtown Libertyville the PACE buses are also extremely limited, unless your employer runs a shuttle I doubt you can really count on being able to get to / from an office...

7:01 gets to Libertyville at 8:09, 7:40 is an hour and nine minutes -- http://metrarail.com/content/metra/e...Schedule#focus

Going home the schedule also takes over an hour via train --- http://metrarail.com/content/metra/e...Schedule#focus

Factoring at least 10-15 minutes of bus travel on each end it is likely you'd be far better off trying to car pool / drive or perhaps relocating...

Last edited by chet everett; 08-03-2012 at 06:25 AM..

Old 08-03-2012, 12:54 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,690,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Camel View Post
You posted the same question in the Chicago forum.
Yep, and the same answers apply. OP, you need to either tell us exactly where you live and work and if your employer has a shuttle, or better yet just use Metra's website or any number of other transit websites to determine where the stops are and what time the trains run.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:48 PM

12,860 posts, read 17,073,304 times
Driving would take a long time as well. I know many do it. Probably on the Edens Spur to TriState. Definitely avoid Rt 21 between Rt 176 and 137, slow going and a railroad crossing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs