Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2007, 06:42 AM

2 posts, read 5,730 times

Advertisements

I received this Email that is going around that states Oak Lawn, Il has banned Christmas in schools. I did not find anything on Snopes.com to verify so I thought I would post here to get validation. Is this a scam that should be stopped??

[Here is a Christmas Plan They Can't Ban!
It is time to take a stand. Sponsor your church in
Project Merry Christmas.

It's hard to believe this kind of religious intolerance can happen in America in 2007.
The city of Oak Lawn, Illinois has banned any recognition of Christmas in their schools. The ban came after a Muslim woman complained.

I don't know what you think about that, but I am more than a little annoyed by those who want to replace Christmas with a secular holiday.

It's time Christians take a stand and proclaim to our communities that Christmas is not just a winter holiday focused on materialism, but a "holy day" when we celebrate the birth of our Savior.

Here is a Christmas Plan They Can't Ban!-23-merry-christmas-buttons-http://www.afa.net/emails/images/cbuttonorder.gif (broken link)
This year you can remind your community of the true meaning of Christmas by taking a vital leadership role in AFA’s "Project Merry Christmas."

Here's how. AFA is making available an attractive button and magnet that carry this thought-provoking, Gospel-focused message: "Merry Christmas. God's Good News."

I am asking you to purchase enough buttons for each member of your church and enough magnets for each family to have one. Urge your fellow members to wear their buttons and display the magnets during the entire Christmas season.

If you are unable to sponsor your church yourself, ask your Sunday School class to make it a class project. You can even order buttons and magnets to share with co-workers, children in Christian schools, customers, etc.

I know that some might think simply wearing a button or displaying a car magnet is a small thing, but God can use small things to make a big point, and to create opportunities to share the Good News. And what a great time to do that at Christmas!

I'm asking individuals like you in thousands of communities across the nation to head up this project in their local churches. Your willingness to underwrite the cost for your church and enthusiastically promote this project is the key to making an impact in your area.

Order before November 1 and AFA will pay the shipping.
During the upcoming Christmas season, your church can bless your whole community by offering this gentle reminder to everyone you meet: "Merry Christmas. God’s Good News." It's a plan they can't ban!
[

Donald E. Wildmon, Chairman
American Family Association
P.S. Please forward this e-mail message to your family and friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 06:49 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times
It isn't true. It has been resolved. One third of the students in the school system are Muslim, so they are simply going to incorporate some Islamic holidays into the various holiday celebrations that take place over the school year. Which seems fair to me. And what the woman who 'complained' said she wanted all along.

SD 122: Christmas stays :: News :: Daily Southtown (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/news/587539,100407holidays.article - broken link)

"School board members have decided to continue student Christmas and Halloween parties after all, but only on the condition that the Muslim holiday Ramadan is celebrated as well.

"Everything is staying the same," school board member Dave Lis said. "Christmas is still Christmas, and Halloween is still Halloween.""

Old 10-04-2007, 06:55 AM

2 posts, read 5,730 times
Thank you for the quick reply. I will reply to all on the Email list with the good news!!

Old 10-04-2007, 10:41 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,378 times
Is HAlloween even a Christian holiday? I mean, I know All Saints Day must be, but wasn't Halloween actually a Pagan thing?

Seems like she would have lumped Easter in there before Halloween.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:59 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times
Hehe. No kidding, but then again, school boards historically haven't been known for their intellectually scintillating discourse and/or actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs