Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 09:16 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,720 times

Advertisements

Carl Sandburg - Orland Park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 04:52 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Carl Sandburg - Orland Park
That's definitely a southwest suburb.

As for Oak Lawn.. Sheesh. That's Oak Park / Berwyn / Cicero territory!

Rich Township schools aren't bad (Ie: Park Forest, Richton Park, Matteson, Olympia Fields). With involvement of your kid's lives, you can raise a successful child there.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:52 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
OP has not really said much about BUDGET nor prefered "housing style". Honestly those would be HUGE factors -- some towns are far more affordable than Hinsdale and/or you get far more for your housing dollar.

The other thing is that the type of career trajectory one is on certainly makes a BIG difference about what part of the region makes the most sense to live in -- I personally had young neighbors that rented a nice little house. Dad was a physician that worked some days at Christ and others at Rush. Living in western suburbs made a lot of sense. He eventually got an offer to be a Dept. Chair at a major health center in another state.
I also know there are other health professionals that work at Christ and don't mind commuting from the further SW suburbs if they also work in Palos or someplace like Olympia Fields.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:48 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,433,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
OP has not really said much about BUDGET nor prefered "housing style". Honestly those would be HUGE factors -- some towns are far more affordable than Hinsdale and/or you get far more for your housing dollar.

The other thing is that the type of career trajectory one is on certainly makes a BIG difference about what part of the region makes the most sense to live in -- I personally had young neighbors that rented a nice little house. Dad was a physician that worked some days at Christ and others at Rush. Living in western suburbs made a lot of sense. He eventually got an offer to be a Dept. Chair at a major health center in another state.
I also know there are other health professionals that work at Christ and don't mind commuting from the further SW suburbs if they also work in Palos or someplace like Olympia Fields.
OP said:
"I am considering a job offer in Oak Lawn (Advocate Christ Medical Center) and would need to live within a 20-30 minute drive of the hospital. I went to school in Wheaton, but have very limited knowledge of the south suburbs. Really the only consideration as far as housing is the school district for our kids. We are very interested in a top-notch school on the level of New Trier. Is there a similar district on the south side? Cost of housing is largely irrelevant, and we couldn't care less about how big or fancy our house is, but we could spend up to $800K if pressed. Availability of schools with high SAT scores, excellent college placements, and an intense academic focus is perhaps the major factor in our decision to move. What would some of you southside real-estate gurus advise?"

What else is there to say? He said nothing is more important than the school - he will live in a shack if necessary, as long as the school is top-notch. Seems simple to me. Everyone has narrowed in on Hinsdale Central being the premier school south and west of the city, and Hinsdale is reasonably close to Advocate Christ. Find him some houses in the Hinsdale Central district for less than $800K. Not $850K, $800K or less...

Old 09-19-2012, 08:31 AM

Lightbulb Dozens! Maybe hunderds...

A ceiling of $800k is not bad at all for the Hinsdale Central attendance area. Even if one wants an address in Hinsdale itself, served by the top tier D181 elementary district there are over three dozen homes all with at least 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. The most affordable are ranches from the 1960s or earlier. They are not shacks; perfectly livable, shiny kitchen appliances, well under $400K. 216 S Madison St, HINSDALE, IL 60521 | MLS# 08142802 | Redfin

If the OP wants something lots newer/bigger/nicer that is also going have an ASKING price UNDER $800K those are available too-- 730 N Oak St, HINSDALE, IL 60521 | MLS# 08148519 | Redfin

If the OP wants to expand their search radius to include the portions of Burr Ridge, Oak Brook, Clarendon Hills, Willowbrook, Westbrook and unincorporated Cook & DuPage that are also part of the Hinsdale Central attendance area the count goes from dozens to hundreds. Honestly. People that are under the impression that only gazillionaires live in nice area need to expand their horizons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
OP said:
"... houses in the Hinsdale Central district for less than $800K. Not $850K, $800K or less...

Old 09-19-2012, 11:23 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,433,622 times
Quote:
If the OP wants to expand their search radius to include the portions of Burr Ridge, Oak Brook, Clarendon Hills, Willowbrook, Westbrook and unincorporated Cook & DuPage that are also part of the Hinsdale Central attendance area the count goes from dozens to hundreds.
To the OP, confine your housing search to locations within Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedthese boundaries, and you will be in the best school district south and west of the city.

Quote:
Honestly. People that are under the impression that only gazillionaires live in nice area need to expand their horizons...
Who said anything about Hinsdale being only for the wealthy? I personally just wanted someone to answer the OPs question...

Last edited by Yac; 09-26-2012 at 05:14 AM..

Old 09-19-2012, 02:05 PM

Default Not completely accurate...

The link from the aggregator unfortunately shows all of D86 being part of the Hinsdale Central attendance area. This is not correct.
The BOE maintains a pdf that shows the current boundaries. These are generally modified only with intensive debate / input -- District 86 Internal Boundaries / Feeder School Map

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
To the OP, confine your housing search to locations within Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedthese boundaries, and you will be in the best school district south and west of the city.

Who said anything about Hinsdale being only for the wealthy? I personally just wanted someone to answer the OPs question...

Last edited by Yac; 09-26-2012 at 05:14 AM..

Old 09-19-2012, 07:15 PM

6 posts, read 15,707 times
Another vote for Hinsdale Central. I know several physicians who make the commute from Hinsdale and Burr Ridge to Christ. I drive north and south on 294 and east and west on 95th street several days a week. It's not a bad commute (and I am coming from the North Shore).

I would also look at Lyons Township. Not as highly rated, but still a very good school.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:21 PM

117 posts, read 332,930 times
Hinsdale is no hidden gem. It's regionally regarded as being one of wealthiest suburban neighborhoods in chicagoland. Housing prices in Hinsdale fully reflect being located within minutes of the Mcdonald's corporate headquaters and several other fortune 500 corporations. Hinsdale real estate is on the very expensive end of the affordability spectrum. With the median home price in hinsdale being close to 6 times the median household income of Hinsdale families. The biggest benefit of living in hinsdale that you will be paying for has nothing to do with hinsdale central high school. But that it is a highly coveted location for high end homes located within minutes of where top level corporate executes commute to work every morning. Even on an average doctor salary, Hinsdale would be pricey. But as you state, you plan on spending 800k. You shouldn't have a problem purchasing a home in Hinsdale that is suitable. You certainly won't get one the showpieces in the area for 800k. But a very comfortable home non the less. If you don't work in the region or have ties out there. I don't see the point.

Last edited by tjake; 09-20-2012 at 12:03 AM..

Old 09-20-2012, 02:09 PM

166 posts, read 357,522 times
Thoughts on Hinsdale and I’m sure most others have the same view:
It’s geographically desirable since it’s central to all the regions of Chicagoland and close to both airports and downtown with fast Metra service to downtown.
It’s also topographically desirable because it’s one of the only places in all of Chicagoland that has hilly streets and it’s not all flat. The Ravines on the north shore come to mind but it’s on a much smaller scale.
Geographically, the most desirable parts of Hinsdale are “in town” locations, south of Ogden, north of 55th street and between 83 and 294. Also, people don’t want to be too close to any of the busy street borders or too close to the train tracks. So with all those criteria, the number of homes for sale dwindles and demand outstrips supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs