U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2012, 10:42 PM

90 posts, read 303,033 times

Advertisements

Are there new or newer construction homes in the Chicago suburbs?
If so, where are they?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 10:56 PM

28,460 posts, read 81,558,347 times
Default Everywhere, depends what you are looking for...

If you want a brand spanking new house in some mass-built tract development that is about an hour and a half from a job in the Loop and recent buyers are upside down in the six figure range there are plenty of those in rural Will, Kane or McHenry counties, many well under $200k...

If you want a shiny new "urban row house" that was plunked down in some trendy spot minutes from the center of the action in Wrigley-ville you better be prepared to spend millions.

In between the two extremes there are range of new construction options, though honestly none are as a good a value as a well priced existing home.

Budget? Commute tolerance? Pretty much the rule from coast to coast these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie02 View Post
Are there new or newer construction homes in the Chicago suburbs?
If so, where are they?

Old 09-27-2012, 10:18 AM

4,884 posts, read 8,874,840 times
There are many benefits to buying an existing home in a walkable community, not just for the environment, but for your own health and that of your family. Or, at the very least, a new home in a built up area, though as Chet says that can get costly.

And studies have shown that the construction of a 2,000 square foot house generates 8,000 pounds of waste (mostly wood, drywall and cardboard), which mostly ends up in landfills. So even if your new home is dubbed "energy efficient," how efficient is it really from an environmental perspective? So that being the case, why not restore an older home to your specifications? A lot of Chicago area homes, such as the Bungalow, are highly adaptable to modern living, and plenty are available right now for cheap.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:22 AM

17 posts, read 68,352 times
There some NEW duplex, upper scale homes for sale in Downtown Mt Prospect. They are located right across the street from our Library. These homes have detached garages located to the rear of the duplex. These are custom built units, so they might be pricey. But if you work in Chicago, they are only about one block from the trains.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:40 PM

90 posts, read 303,033 times
I am severely allergic to mold, and my intent is to (eventually) buy new to hopefully lessen the chance of mold in a house. I know Chicago is wet and humid, and even in the desert, where we currently live, mold is an issue.

Frankly, the environmental impact of a new house does not concern me much, other than the off-gassing/VOCs.
We currently live in an area where families with four kids are the norm due to the edicts of the prominent religion. They drive around in gas-guzzling SUVs and minivans, feed their kids juice boxes and Lunchables, and build huge, new homes to house their families. Nobody even recycles and nobody cares.

We purposely chose not to have kids and have lessened our impact on the environment that way, so I think we get an environmental pass on a buying a new home...if we can find one.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:46 AM

5,479 posts, read 11,695,711 times
There are also new townhomes being built near downtown Arlington Heights on Windsor between Miner and Kensington. You would have groceries, Metra, library, restaurants, parks, public pool, bars and shopping in walking distance.
There is a small development of new SFH homes called Ravinia being built on Wilke just north of Northwest Hwy along the AH/Palatine border. Not as much within walking distance but you can walk to the Arlington Park Metra staion, a bar and a couple of fast food places.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:19 PM

11,537 posts, read 29,042,552 times
I am very familiar with mold issues. I suggest that before you buy any home that it is inspected by a state Licensed Home Inspector, plus a Certified Mold Inspector -- even if the house is brand new. It is a cheap investment when compared to health costs. A Contingency should be included in the body of the real estate Contract you sign that is very specific. If the house you propose to buy fails a House Inspection or a Mold Inspection, or both, the contract is null and void.

An empty house of any age or era, can begin to develop mold, hidden or visual, very quickly. I had four houses tested before I bought my current property. It was in an estate and empty over four years. The single item that helped maintain the mold-free environment until it was sold is utilities. The heat and air-conditioning was never turned off.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:41 AM

4,126 posts, read 7,391,730 times
I do know that Joe Keim is building new homes. I imagine business is slow now but it was booming in the late l980s when I bought a J. Keim home. He has a reputation of being a good builder. The Amberwood property is nice and its well located but he is building in other places too.

Keim Corp - Quality Custom Home Builder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs