Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:17 PM

20 posts, read 100,612 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine is moving from OH to the northwest suburbs of chicago to work at Sears. He is budget constrained and looking for a 2-Bed Condo under $150k. I drove around Hilldale Condos/Huntington Club condos in Hoffman Estates,looked fine location-wise and very close to Hilldlae Golf Club.But I am not sure how safe this is.The neighbouring Barrington Square area looked pretty shady..Anyone with any views on this? How about Moon Lake which is also nearby?Safety is the primary issue..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 11:24 PM

331 posts, read 1,544,628 times
Lately inexpensive subdivisions, such as around Moon Lake, have increasing numbers of section 8 renters whose urban subsidized housing has been torn down to build condos and who are now being forced into cheaper suburban areas.

You're right that this area can look shady on some occasions. Though generally it's safer than it appears. Anyway, don't jump into buying a place right away!! This is the kind of area where you need to rent for at least 3 months to see if it fits you. Also keep in mind that in Chicagoland neck of the woods residents of the complexes where a 2bed condo goes for 150K normally don't care at the least about the proximity of golf clubs. So he might feel very out of place there.

Does he have to be in or near Hoffman Estates? With that kind of budget I would suggest Oak Creek or Villa Verde complexes in Buffalo Grove in terms of safety. There are some relatively inexpensive, yet safe locations in parts of Arlington Heights and Wheeling, but you would need at least 10~15K more than what he has.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:53 AM

20 posts, read 100,612 times
He starts work at Sears,Hoffman Estates and prefers to stay somewhere real close.His idea is I believe to buy/live in a Conndo for 3-4 years which gives him enough time to hunt for a SFH. He does not want to rent. I was going to suggest Huntington Club condos, looks decent on paper and when I drove around, but I am still uncertain. I am hoping those who actually lived there/in close proxmity would be better judges and have some advise...

Old 01-22-2008, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 4,289 times
Default I live in Hilldale

Quote:
Originally Posted by syman View Post
He starts work at Sears,Hoffman Estates and prefers to stay somewhere real close.His idea is I believe to buy/live in a Conndo for 3-4 years which gives him enough time to hunt for a SFH. He does not want to rent. I was going to suggest Huntington Club condos, looks decent on paper and when I drove around, but I am still uncertain. I am hoping those who actually lived there/in close proxmity would be better judges and have some advise...
Hi, I don't know if you are still reading this thread, but I live in Hilldale. I bought one of the units 3 years ago. In the last 3 years, I have had really no safety concerns. I have called the police a couple times for noise complaints - renters (college age kids) who would play their stereos to all hours of the night.

Other than that, I've seen a couple arrests (peaceable, may have been DUIs pulling into the complex) and been questioned about the whereabouts of a particular neighbor a couple of times.

I'm not afraid to live here if that helps.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,369 times
I was wondering if anyone knows about the Townhomes (Huntingtonon on Hassell road) directly across from the Village of Hoffman Estates building. They seems very safe and don't seem to have a lot of noise. Can someone give me the inside deal on just those. I realize condo's are a mixed bag and that part of the reason i am looking at townhomes.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:52 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,916 times
3 or 4 years is really not enough time to get your money out a condo when he would be planning on selling that to buy a single family home. I don't think there will be rapid enough appreciation in the next few years. He also has to consider that when he sells he'll have the expense of having to pay a realtor's commission. I'm sure there are some people who are more expert in that than I am who can give you more details, but he'd really be a lot better off renting. He could probably even find a townhome or condo to rent for less than what he'd pay to own it.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,306 times
I used to live there.....stay away!...they will nickle and dime you to death with "needed" improvements, all the while hosting Sec 8 familys...the crime rate went up 78% when I was there....there are MANY other reasons to stay away, just don't have the time to list all......

Old 01-04-2018, 11:55 AM

3 posts, read 1,978 times
Default Hilldale Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by syman View Post
A friend of mine is moving from OH to the northwest suburbs of chicago to work at Sears. He is budget constrained and looking for a 2-Bed Condo under $150k. I drove around Hilldale Condos/Huntington Club condos in Hoffman Estates,looked fine location-wise and very close to Hilldlae Golf Club.But I am not sure how safe this is.The neighbouring Barrington Square area looked pretty shady..Anyone with any views on this? How about Moon Lake which is also nearby?Safety is the primary issue..
I own a Condo in Hilldale. It is as safe as anywhere in Hoffman Estates, which is pretty safe. Do be careful when purchasing in Hilldale as there are a number of rules and charges that you may find to be abnormal, and maybe outrageous depending on what you are used to. Also the Hilldale Management are not easy to like, zero people skills. I've tried my best over the years. However, the workers that aid the management are great. Nice Golf course. Close to hospital, Schools and shopping.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:59 AM

3 posts, read 1,978 times
I live across the street from Huntington Club. Nice landscaping in a good neighborhood. The tenants are mixed with Hispanics, Polish, Russian, few African-Americans. A little on the expensive side for no golf course.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:00 PM

655 posts, read 1,128,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ron View Post
I own a Condo in Hilldale. It is as safe as anywhere in Hoffman Estates, which is pretty safe. Do be careful when purchasing in Hilldale as there are a number of rules and charges that you may find to be abnormal, and maybe outrageous depending on what you are used to. Also the Hilldale Management are not easy to like, zero people skills. I've tried my best over the years. However, the workers that aid the management are great. Nice Golf course. Close to hospital, Schools and shopping.

NOTE: The original post was from 2007 so you are not responding to the OP anymore. However, good information for anyone else who may be looking in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs