U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 03:54 PM

4,723 posts, read 14,631,517 times

Advertisements

I drive thru Hoffman everyday and live reasonably close by,,I find it very commercial with sub divisions all around , not as commercial as S'burg
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 07:13 PM

5 posts, read 14,819 times
I would also echo Arlington Heights...we are currently moving from there (work transfer) but its a GREAT place if you have kids...great schools, neighborhoods, park district, etc....there's also a lovely downtown area with Metra access to downtown. And with 4 kids you'll make friends with your neighbors in no time! It shouldn't take more than 20 mintues to get to work, depending on where in HE you are. I would NOT recommend HE for resale value alone...there is a ton of new construction and subdivisions, whereas Arlington Heights is more established neighborhoods.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:25 AM

220 posts, read 692,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I drive thru Hoffman everyday and live reasonably close by,,I find it very commercial with sub divisions all around , not as commercial as S'burg
Too go a bit off-topic: I used to work for the village of Hoffman Estates in the Planning Dept, and saw every nook and cranny of the place over 2 years. I still contend that it is not "commercial" with some houses like Rosemont.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendelman View Post
Too go a bit off-topic: I used to work for the village of Hoffman Estates in the Planning Dept, and saw every nook and cranny of the place over 2 years. I still contend that it is not "commercial" with some houses like Rosemont.
Ok,agree,,its not as commercial with some houses like Rosemont,,,but who said anything about Rosemont ?

Old 10-12-2007, 07:38 AM

15 posts, read 42,239 times
Default Looks like Arlington Heights...

In your price range you could easily find something pretty nice within 1-2 miles of downtown Arlington Heights (which is really the best part of Arlington Heights).[/quote]

I hope pretty nice means a very livable house that is NOT in need of major renovations.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:51 AM

220 posts, read 692,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecisionTime View Post
]I hope pretty nice means a very livable house that is NOT in need of major renovations.
Yes, that is what I mean. It might need some updating to a bath or kitchen, but it won't, likely, need to be half gutted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie
but who said anything about Rosemont ?
No one, really. I was simply using it as an example of "lots of commercial, few houses", which Hoffman Estates is not.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:02 PM
cag

5 posts, read 21,714 times
Hi,

Palatine has alot to offer and so does buffalo grove, arlington heights, mount prospect, prospect heights, kildeer, long grove, deer park, barrington. Certain section of barrington are not in a good school district with school board problems. Realtors can not give you this information, one must google the school districts themselves.

Last edited by mdz; 10-14-2007 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: removed advertising

Old 10-12-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Hi,

Palatine has alot to offer and so does buffalo grove, arlington heights, mount prospect, prospect heights, kildeer, long grove, deer park, barrington. Certain section of barrington are not in a good school district with school board problems. Realtors can not give you this information, one must google the school districts themselves.

Which part of Barrington is not in a good school district?? I have never heard that before. Been here for 20 years and was very involved with the schools

Last edited by mdz; 10-14-2007 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: removed advertising in referred-to post

Old 10-21-2007, 02:36 PM

15 posts, read 42,239 times
Thanks, we are currently doing our homework on all of the great suggestions we've received. My husband is going to start visiting some of these neighborhoods as he is in Chicago fairly often.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:05 PM

5,739 posts, read 9,487,583 times
Default The part of Barrington that is not in a good school district

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Which part of Barrington is not in a good school district?? I have never heard that before. Been here for 20 years and was very involved with the schools
Nanannie, There is an area in western Barrington Hills that feeds into (IMHO) a very poor performing school system (D300 Carpentersville). I have friends from Barrington Hills that have been fighting for years to get this area rezoned (it won't happen). All their kids are attending private schools.

This area of Barrington Hills feeds into Dundee Crown HS in Carpentersville. This HS was rated a "3" out of 10 on the GreatSchools.net website. I can't think of any other high school in the suburbs that rated that low. So if you move to Barrington Hills, YOU MUST BE IN DISTRICT 220 NOT 300. BTW, Barrington H.S. is rated a 10 and is awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs