Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 01:10 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,549,370 times

Advertisements

^Given that it's already well over capacity and completely congested during rush periods, you're actually correct. It wouldn't be any more congested. Roads are self healing -- people would take other routes that would in turn grow more congested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 01:48 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,227,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Geneva does have a train though. Which is good. As far as I am concerned, for the past 20 years or so we have lived here, my opinion is that the tri-cities are pretty much a black-hole for employment. Can't believe Kane county has not made more of an initiative to get more companies out here but I suspect companies are not attracted because of the lack of a decent highway in and out of the area. They live here but do not work here, most go to downtown, Schaumburg or Naperville.

Yes, lack of decent transportation is poor in and out of certain areas, i.e. Northshore, Fox Valley, southern burbs (better w/355 ext was a nightmare before), far north burbs. There is lots of political in-fighting and Illinois is broke so highways and other improvements are out of the question for many decades I am guessing.

As far as I am concerned rt 25 and 31 in the fox valley are not really freeways are they? WAY too much stop and go and stop signs. And don't even get me started on Randall Rd - stop signs yikes!!!

Not building the Fox valley Expressway was a mistake. Now you have a 4-6 lane Rte 59, Farnsworth/Kirk Rd., Rte 31 & 25 and Orchard/Randall instead. Just like 355 took tremendous traffic capacities off of Rte 53, so would the Fox Valley have done so for Rte 59.

Aragx: smart highway building will alleviate traffic congestion. 4-laning Rte 59 and Rte 83 on stretches that used to be just 2 lane helped tremendously! Adding a 4th lane to I-294 and I-94 helped tremendously. Do did the 3rd and in some sections, 4th lane on 355. Problem is many of these highway additions are catch up for what the highway needed to handle 5-15 years earlier and new growth adds more traffic.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:00 AM

282 posts, read 436,544 times
Well the reason Geneva and Oswego don't have freeways close to them is because of the population and or need. Currently there is a project to expand IL 64 (North Ave.) through West Chicago. I do agree that another north/south route needs to be built west of the Fox River to bridge the gap between I-90 and I-88. But Bolingbrook has two major freeways going through it so... Basically around here you give up conveinience for cost of living.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:46 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,692,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndale22 View Post
We are brand new to Chicagoland as of this week.
The first thing I asked myself after moving day was, why aren't there more freeways in the Chicagoland area?
There is no direct or simple way to get from Geneva to Oswego or Bolingbrook. There is no practical way to get from Geneva to Schaumburg, or heaven forbid I might want to go to some of the northern suburbs such as Northbook or Glenview.
Why aren't there freeways? Have they been proposed but failed? Have they simply never been considered? Are they on the radar?
You know you can take 55 right to Bolingbrook right?

Old 10-27-2012, 09:25 PM

9,895 posts, read 9,538,790 times
if i were traveling all those suburbs, I'd take either the highways or the main streets which are more of a scenic route anyway and you wont get tied up in traffic jams and road construction. Like Route 31 or 39 out that way toward Geneva. or Take I-355 part of the way, or take Manheim Road toward the city and you can get a long way north and south, to get from Geneva, take North Avenue (Route 64) in some places it goes pretty fast, to Manheim road and then go up to some of the northern suburbs that way. I hate expressways so i like to travel Roosevelt Road a ways.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:47 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,157,040 times
Default Might make sense during certain traffic conditions...

... if there is a snow storm that leaves the expressways crawling under 10 MPH maybe surface streets are a viable alternative (and access to gasoline / food / restrooms is much better in such conditions too) but in general the speeds in normal rush hour on surface streets is far lower than the expressways for MOST trips because of the effects of intersections and traffic control devices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
if i were traveling all those suburbs, I'd take either the highways or the main streets which are more of a scenic route anyway and you wont get tied up in traffic jams and road construction. Like Route 31 or 39 out that way toward Geneva. or Take I-355 part of the way, or take Manheim Road toward the city and you can get a long way north and south, to get from Geneva, take North Avenue (Route 64) in some places it goes pretty fast, to Manheim road and then go up to some of the northern suburbs that way. I hate expressways so i like to travel Roosevelt Road a ways.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:03 PM

23 posts, read 54,113 times
Good info, thanks. I don't anticipate venturing across the metro during a snowstorm so the expressways will probably be our best option most of the time.

We went to Oak Brook the other day to shop a few stores we don't have in the Tri-cities area, and since there was construction and backups on Butterfield Rd, we took the toll road (I-88). I was impressed how quickly and easily that got us there!

Old 10-28-2012, 08:16 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,869,899 times
The right of way would be cost prohibitive and those living close to it would object loudly

Old 10-28-2012, 09:06 PM

4,672 posts, read 7,370,862 times
I feel like there are a lot of expressways in Chicagoland (90, 290, 94, 294, 55, 355, 88, 57, 80) although I personally don't care much for driving and prefer to take the train or bus whenever possible. Geneva is pretty far out--you can't expect to have expressways from that small of a town to every other small suburb.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:34 PM

306 posts, read 477,972 times
I live in Geneva and would say that is one disadvantage living here is the access to expressways. That being said, would not live anywhere else. See, towns such as Batavia, Geneva, St. Charles were all built up towns before sprawl hit, thus why they have so much more charm than most suburbs closer in(again IMO). The quality of life and cost of living is probably the highest in the Chicagoland area. There is simply so many entertainment venues(check on the Arcada in St. Charles), two downtowns that match up with any in the Chicagoland area for fine dining and good food. Plus very good schools and a lower cost of living than other burbs with less to offer, but closer to Chicago.
My advice to those. If you work downtown Chicago, don't live in the Fox Valley. If you work in the western burbs, give it a strong look for their is nothing like it and is an amazing place to raise a family. Oh yes, and these are not sleepy bed room communities. Come to downtown St. Charles on a weekend or walk along 3rd street, go to the dozens of festivals, etc. I know I am partisan, but lots to be proud about living in the fox valley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs