Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 10:01 PM

64 posts, read 110,105 times

Advertisements

Okay, so at my high school in lake county (sorry, not giving specifics just for privacy) I read the newspaper, and according to Forbes magazine, Lake County is the 9th most miserable 'city' in the U.S.?

First off, I don't know why they classify Lake County as a city, but okay... I guess their travel budget is a bit low.

Second, I certainly disagree with the fact that Lake County is miserable. I've lived here all my life, and I love it here! Now that's just my personal preference. Although the weather does occasionally get rough, we're used to it! (at least most of us are). I do agree with them on one thing, home prices are down dramatically. But over all, they are completely wrong about Lake County. It is a great county, with amazing people, thriving communities, and towns/cities.

Post your thoughts if you want! I just thought it was a little ridiculous to hear that the county I have lived in all my life is counted as the 9th most miserable place to live in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 10:02 PM

361 posts, read 748,728 times
Yeah, counting all that money must be tough.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:07 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,421,954 times
I'm not sure where Lake County gets a rep of being such a wealthy county. Only the southern & central portions of the county are affluent IMO. But a good chunk of the county is either in a post-industrial slump (see Waukegan, North Chicago, Zion, etc.) or more exurban in nature with newer developments (see Antioch, Fox Lake, Round Lake, etc.). The county is actually pretty diverse socioeconomically. I think a few outliers in Highland Park & Lake Forest might be skewing up the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post
Yeah, counting all that money must be tough.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:56 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,072,902 times
That list has been discussed on this forum recently, actially. It lead to some Gary bashing by Chicagoans and suburbanites who perhaps live in Lake County. Someone compared Gary to a slum in India and said the whole list is a joke for Gary being so far down. OP, you realize that Chicago, Illinois was ranked number 3, right? More miserable than Lake County and more miserable than Gary, Indiana..

As someone who works in Gary, I still don't understand how someone can rip into Gary so hard and just pretend like it's a-okay on the southeast side of Chicago or Waugegan, Illinois.. Gary suffers from many of the same problems as Waukegan, North Chicago, Chicago Heights and the south side of the city..

Last edited by urza216; 03-23-2013 at 01:56 AM..

Old 03-23-2013, 06:35 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,072,902 times
As for Lake County - I don't know why it made the list. Or why they'd pick on that particular suburban area. lol

Old 03-23-2013, 09:48 AM

64 posts, read 110,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
As for Lake County - I don't know why it made the list. Or why they'd pick on that particular suburban area. lol
Yeah it made absolutely no sense to me. This County is phenomenal.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:43 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,277,465 times
Forbes is a scavenger company that picks up bytes of random data to create eye candy. The article subject may be catchy but the content is frequently weak, outdated or moot by the time it reaches print.

It is entertainment, folks, from a once respected business and financial source.

Quinn used the state's press corps to publicly denounce Steve Forbes for spinning an op-ed piece found in a local newspaper to trash Springfield and his rebuke went viral. The vainglorious Forbes did not like issuing a public retraction.

Since then most of the regular members in the Illinois forums here don't take as gospel anything that appears in "the sky-is-falling" Forbes publications -especially if it is online. . .

Old 03-23-2013, 12:05 PM

337 posts, read 930,508 times
I live in Lake County (Lake Bluff to be precise). Although Waukegan and North Chicago are not very pleasant, on the whole they're not the hellholes they're often portrayed as: crime rates for both of them are below the national average. I think the poorer towns in the county are more comparable to "mixed" urban neighborhoods like Uptown or Rogers Park (i.e. mix of good and bad areas).

Old 03-23-2013, 03:19 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,947,006 times
I believe Forbes has political views and I think they like to take hits on Chicago and Illinois in particular. The sensationalism of crime here, which is very bad in some areas is shocking and gets a lot of press and everyone thinks its like that everywhere.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:27 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
The main things that make us miserable are property taxes and traffic. Other than that I dont think it is bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs