Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 02:12 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingForEden View Post
Yes, I was referring to homeschool courses-- not high school. Expect anti-gay attitudes,too. One hs'ing mom let me know she was opposed to interracial couples, too (which DH and I are).
I have met a few homeschoolers and while I do think there is a WIDE range of folks that attempt to teach their own children I do think that many share a sort of "non mainstream sensibility" and thus there are more "fringe views" represented than among those they utilize public or private schools. It takes a HUGE amount of effort to really do a good job teaching high school age children the broad range of competenicies they need to be successful in college these days...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 04:00 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingForEden View Post
I used to homeschool and am considering it again. I found it very difficult to meet non-fundamentalists in DuPage co. Most of the hs classes include things like Creationism as part of science here. While you still may not meet many hs'ers in Skokie, you would be so much closer to the museums and all that Chicago offers. If you move into Chicago proper, you can choose an online school that offers the K12 curriculum for free. You are still tied to a charter school but it is a neat program.
Skokie has homeschoolers who meet at the Ethical Humanist Society for workshops

AJ Collective Workshops for homeschoolers meet in Skokie - Chicago Homeschooling | Examiner.com

Old 10-25-2012, 04:06 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Highly doubtful. I taught science in public and PRIVATE high schools and NEVER encountered ANYONE that gave even a moment's thought to "creation science"...

Additionally, having lived in both the city and the suburbs AND worked at some of the science museums in Chicago I can state empathically that the surbanites are MASSIVELY over represented in both the attendance counts and membership rosters of the museums. There are a large number of actual working PhD scientists in the region due to presence of TWO DOE national labs, numerous R&D facilities and healthcare centers...
I suspect the poster you were replying to meant that homeschoolers were teaching creationism. Although, this story from Indiana is a bit unnerving

https://www.dailyherald.com/article/...ews/701259743/

And this one is about a teacher at Libertville HS in 2011
https://www.dailyherald.com/article/...ews/703019889/

Old 10-26-2012, 10:34 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supportyourschools View Post
I'm not suggesting they live in BB and drive to Rt. 59 or the Aurora station. I'm suggesting that they live in Aurora near one of those two stations.

As far as driving to the Metra stations in downtown Naperville or Lisle from Bolingbrook, I would not want to drive for 20 minutes (or more, depending where you live in BB) and then ride a train for 30 minutes (or more) to get to work each day. Much easier to live closer to the station. The OP stated that they did not care about a walkable downtown, so no need to live near the Naperville station. I don't know much about the area around the Metra station in Lisle.
Well if you drive it would take about 45 minutes or so from Bolingbrook, so how long do you think it would take from Aurora? The train ride from Rt.59 or Aurora will be longer and the drive into the train stations will probably be the same, depending on how close you are to the train station. So if the drive to the station would take 20 minutes they could just liver close to the Lisle or Naperville station. Maybe they could move closer and live in Western Springs, La Grange, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs