Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 01:28 PM

117 posts, read 248,173 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Our family currently lives in the south suburbs steps away from Munter Indiana. We love it here as all our friends and family members live close by. We own a business close to Midway and now my husband is looking into opening another franchise in Glendale Heights on North ave. not too far from 355. I'm a nurse and also work.I need to be close to the expressways and have to have a couple of different options to get to them. I usually try to avoid the rush hour and try to get back home before rush hour starts again. Now, we stil have to kids at home, one that will go to middle school and the other one to HS or college depending on how soon we move since we still have to sell out home here. We are a Hispanic family and we are in our mid 40's, our kids currently go to private Catholic schools and we like our current town because of the family parades, gatherings with our friend and neighboors ( who are all caucasian). Our children also play club level soccer.
we like the towns of Wheaton and Glen Ellyn so far but feel that we need to see more of those two towns. I also like Homer Glen.
we would like a friendly and family oriented town with great schools ( in case we don't want to send to Catholic school anymore) tons of stuff to do for families and couples as well as good soccer teams.We will be looking for a house from 350-400.
Thanks for any inputs in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 04:47 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
Wheaton and Glen Ellyn are both beautiful communities and are side by side each other. They have good schools and also have Catholic schools and several large Catholic congregations.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:35 AM

thanks,
yes, those are our first picks.
our life style is of work, soccer, Mass on Sundays, gatherings with friends and family and go out from time to time just us two or with friends to have dinners or to watch a bears game in a nice grill bar or so.
We also like to participate in church activities when we have time. My daughter wants to go to a public school for the first time, but to be honest I'm a little afraid just because she has always been in Catholic schools and she is so used to talking about her religion freely.
thanks again!

Old 10-24-2012, 04:46 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
I agree I think both wheaton or glen ellyn would be a good choice. Wheaton more so, but both are pretty heavily religious towns that would have plenty of activities you are looking for.
Also it's common to see many kids go to the public highschools after going to catholic grade and middle schools. If you did keep going with catholic schools, wheaton's st francis is highly regarded. I don't believe glen ellyn has a catholic high school.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:51 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
So why do you "have" to move if you really like where you live now? From I-294 and I-55, it is only another 25-35 minute drive to I-355 and North Av. Subtracting the 15 minutes it probably takes to get from 294 to the Midway area via surface streets and I don't see this as being a dramatically longer commute.

Of course if the commute from where you currently are to the Midway location has been a stress inducer, I understand the desire to live in between the 2 locations or closer to both. But it sounds like you really like where you currently live. How have the commutes been from where you currently are to the new location?

Old 10-24-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
So why do you "have" to move if you really like where you live now? From I-294 and I-55, it is only another 25-35 minute drive to I-355 and North Av. Subtracting the 15 minutes it probably takes to get from 294 to the Midway area via surface streets and I don't see this as being a dramatically longer commute.

Of course if the commute from where you currently are to the Midway location has been a stress inducer, I understand the desire to live in between the 2 locations or closer to both. But it sounds like you really like where you currently live. How have the commutes been from where you currently are to the new location?
for my job, I travel all over the place, from Kankakee to Rockford to Aurora and as far east as Valparaiso but like I said,most of the time is after and before rush hour. I'm used to it. Now, for my husband, he has to sometimes close the restaurant and by the time he gets home on the weekends when he works he gets here at 2 am. if gets very busy. He wants to live closer to this second one because we would be able to help him if he needs my son's help or mine to manage the place in an emergency if somebody calls in sick or if he has to go somewhere. Right now my son helps him but I have to go get him or take him. My son is 16 so he will start driving soon but we don't want him driving tht far if he needs him. If we are about 15-20 minutes away with no freeways that would be ideal. Righ now his partner lives close to midway so my husband doesn't worry that he is not close by this one.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I agree I think both wheaton or glen ellyn would be a good choice. Wheaton more so, but both are pretty heavily religious towns that would have plenty of activities you are looking for.
Also it's common to see many kids go to the public highschools after going to catholic grade and middle schools. If you did keep going with catholic schools, wheaton's st francis is highly regarded. I don't believe glen ellyn has a catholic high school.
yes, I was thinking that she would probably finish middle school in a catholic one and then try the public HS. I was just reading that the North Wheaton HS woman soccer team are State champions

Old 10-25-2012, 08:00 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
^^Based on that, Glen Ellyn.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
^^Based on that, Glen Ellyn.
thanks for your opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs